“Best family stay we have ever had”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs
Ranked #1 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Our family has stayed in a lot of hotels and this was the best family value by far. Extremely clean. Staff was exceptionally nice. Very nice free breakfast, free ice cream at night, free drink at check-in. Kid friendly. Really a tremendous value.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 17, 2009

My family and I stayed here from 7/13 to 7/17. It was wonderful! It is about 15 mins. from Busch Gardens. While it is located in a quiet area, it is close to many places to eat. The rooms and pool were very clean. The landscaping at the pool was lush and had a tropical feel to it. Each night from 8:00 to 10:00, they have complimentary ice cream in the lobby. My child loved it and looked forward to it each night! The staff is very helpful and even had directions printed out to local attractions. The fitness room had several types of equipment with 2 treadmills. The breakfast was great and had healthy options as well as eggs, bacon, and pastries.Overall, an excellent stay! TIP: It is about 40 mins. to Clearwater Beach.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Thanks Kathy (general manager) and your staff .this was a great stay at this location .my family ( The Patterson) and i will come back for a stay again next time in town . this is one of the best hotels around I've seen , very clean, way above average , not far all the activities in Tampa and beaches ..i would recommend..definitely

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2009

To start, our check-in guy was fabulous. When he found out we were celebrating a birthday, he pulled out all the stops: an upgrade to a studio suite, coupons for the movie theater next door, and her favorite restaurant. Thanks, Richie, you rock!

This HI is top-rated in Fla. and highly-rated on tripadvisor for many good reasons, so let me give you a few:

1) Location is right off I-75 in a new neighborhood, with just about any restaurant, store, entertainment or service (doctor, dentist, haircut) that you could possibly want or need. By the way, Busch Gardens is about 15 minutes away, but, trust me, it's better to stay a little ways from town.
2) Police presence-- cop car always out front and officers eating breakfast in the mornings. I had no worries about my vehicle or personal safety.
3) Added-value amenities: Complimentary ice-cream novelties at night and hot/cold breakfast offerings in the morning.
4) Hotel is new and well-kept. It looks clean, inside and out, and has nice landscaping. Housekeeping does a wonderful job and offers many optional goodies like mouthwash and shower caps, etc.

A few nit-picky things the hotel could improve on, in my opinion:
1) Pool water needs to be a little warmer and the pool towels ran out (but I didn't ask for more-- so, to be fair, the staff didn't have the chance to respond).
2) I wish the hotel was entirely smoke-free (zero smoking rooms). We had a non-smoking room and never smelled smoke at all, but it is an allergy as well as safety concern. (I'm not fond of unnecessary fire. <smile>)

P.S. I forgot to take pictures of the hotel, only got Busch Gardens and restaurant shots, but I will try to add them if we're able to return!

P.P.S. Trying to decide between a studio and regular room? Well, you get more space (probably about 10 feet more lengthwise) with a small couch and coffee table, plus a bar sink, microwave and dorm-size fridge (big enough for a gallon of milk, oj, and fruit).

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank pricelinejunkie
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Stayed two nights during a Florida trip and was VERY pleased with the room and overall hotel. Cleanliness is my priority when staying somewhere and I was extremely happy with that aspect of this hotel. It was also very updated/new and provided some extra perks, such as the morning breakfast (very fresh), morning paper, nice pool area for just relaxing and taking in the nice view and a friendly, complimentary offer of water/beer upon checking in (which, after a long....or short trip, was a nice "hello."). We were able to get upgraded to a two bedroom (did I mention how great the beds were) and that was just awesome. Both bedrooms had their own flat screens, plus another in the living room area. There was even a nice little kitchenette area. It was like apartment/condo living, not just a hotel. Also, the location was great and made for easy access to many of the places in the area, including dining, shopping and beaching. The staff was very attentive and professional........ and you just knew that their top priority was you. I will definitely go back there again and highly recommend for anyone. A lot of hotels could learn a few good pointers from this Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2009

We started our trip in Naples where my husband had business meetings. While in Naples we stayed in a pricey little hotel (Inn on Fifth) that this Holiday Inn blew right out of the water. Sure the Inn in Naples was in a nicer spot for walking and shopping but the room here was much nicer.

When I booked our pkg. thru Busch gardens all that was available were rooms with 2 queen beds. When we were checking in I asked if they had rooms available with 1 king bed? She said sure if we didn't mind the ground floor. Our room was just a few doors from the front desk with a very nice pool view. We never did use the pool as we were gone all day.

The room was spacious, nice flat screen T.V., the bed comfy and the bathroom had all sorts of amenities. There was no hallway noise on the 2 nights we were here.

The complimentry breakfast had hot omelettes, sausage patties and assorted cereals, pastries, fruits and juices, the second morning there was scrambled eggs and bacon for the hot part. Very friendly staff in charge of keeping everything stocked.

In the evening they provide a self serve ice cream treat by the front desk.

The first night we walked down the road about 5 minutes to a Ruby Tuesday for something to eat. It was okay. The next night we went directly across the street to a little restaurant with maybe a dozen tables. They seemed busier with take out orders than diners, it was a Sunday night. They had a combo sushi and thai menu. The staff was great, when we debated on what to order they had great suggestions and thought we should probably share our main entree after the sushi we ordered for our appy. That was plenty of food for us and surprising in that we would have probably ordered too much and spent more if not for our waiter.

There is a big theatre, I think 20 screens, within a couple minutes walk here too.

So even though this Holiday Inn is kinda off the main drag and surrounded by trees and in a quiet area there is still a few things you can walk to and stretch your legs. Oh and we enjoyed Busch gardens too, approx. 15 minute drive away.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank albertabev
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Just returned from a 4 day stay at this property. Reviews are on target; the property is outstanding for a Holiday Inn Express. Very clean and well appointed, above average breakfast, staff very very accommodating! Location is great--lovely upscale area of Tampa, yet just moments to the interstate. Recommendation from Ann at front desk for Italian restaurant led us to Polo's where we enjoyed outstanding Italian food. Thanks Holiday Inn Express for your hospitality!

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)