“Best of the Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs
Ranked #1 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
De Soto, Missouri
“Best of the Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This place is very good at everything. Property is positioned away from the highway and local traffic noise, yet within 5 minutes from lots of restaurants and shopping. The pool seems to be in an upscale backyard rather than the normal hotel feel. Distinctively better than usual H.I. Express hotels inside and out. Disclaimer: Friendly staff gave us 2 bottles of cold water and two fresh cookies at check-in, then gave us 2 ice cream treats at 8 pm. We already thought the place was great and they may have pushed us into giving them a five rating by being so nice. ;)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim P
georgeathisuites, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Jim,

Thank you for the great compliments. We are very proud to be part of the Holiday Inn Express Brand and honored that you found our service and attention to the details to be superior.

I am also glad that you made it back in time for ice cream!

We wish you more happy travels and hope to see you soon.

George Sandona, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2014

A nice hotel in the suburban neighborhood of "New Tampa," with many restaurants just a short drive from the hotel. The USF campus is also an easy drive down Bruce B. Downs BL.
The hotel was well maintained and very clean.
The rooms include WiFi, mini-fridge and a microwave. A small landscaped pool is in the rear of the hotel and the lobby includes a breakfast area where the complimentary breakfast includes items like cheese omelettes, bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc.
I was given a cold beer upon check in and each night complimentary ice cream was offered in the lobby. A morning paper was waiting at my door each morning.
Quiet and clean rooms in a safe-feeling area of town with plenty of whistles and bells make this a good place to stay in Tampa.
The staff was very friendly too.

1 Thank Floridianontheroad
georgeathisuites, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Floridian,

Thank you so much for your Five Star recommendation. We are blessed with a great location relative to the USF Campus and we have seen many parents from the first college tour all the way through graduation.

We appreciate all the details that you mention - they are all a labor of love. Our promise is to make every visit as comfortable as this one. Thanks again for all of your kind words.

Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2014

By far one of the best hotels I have stayed at. George the General Manager will go out of his way to make you feel at home. The rooms where beyond clean, the service was beyond wonderful, I couldn't be happier. My next stay when I go to Busch Gardens will be at this Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms with Whirlpools tubs!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kYLE D
Dear Kyle,

I really appreciate your compliments. We are driven to make each stay great and the highest compliment is your promise to return.

I wish you more happy travels and hope to see you back at our hotel soon. Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens is scheduled to open the first week of May - perhaps a trip is in order.

Thanks again,
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Very pleased with this hotel all around. The location felt very safe. The grounds were comfortable. They had a special perk of ice cream night when we were there. The rooms were very clean, linens were double sheeted and the beds were comfortable. I liked having a refrigerator, and all the furniture was updated & of taller height. The breakfast was very good as well. The front desk was very nice & used the business center to print out luggage tags. The ONLY drawback I would say was that when they updated, they did not update 100% (like the tile floor/shower area). But I would def stay here again if in the area.

1 Thank SmoochyPie
georgeathisuites, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Smoochy,

Thanks for your 5 Star recommendation! I am glad that you enjoyed all of our updates & upgrades, as well as our great neighborhood.

We were happy to make you happy and we hope to see you again very soon!

Brownstown
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The hotel staff were very nice and they were helpful. The room was very quiet and clean. It was nice to have complimentary ice cream in the evening, that was a nice touch. The hotel is a little outside the downtown area, but the whole area of Tampa requires a car to get anywhere so I was o.k. with this. Would stay there again if I was in the area. Would recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor near the stairs away from the elevators.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah B
Dear Deborah,

Thank you for review and for your recommendation. I am glad that our New Tampa location was convenient to the places that you wanted to visit, and that our staff delivered good service to you.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Happy Travels!

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Spoke with George Sandona, General Manager. Offered suggestion for website to add more specific info regarding dining. He was receptive and fun to talk to.

Have to say what a wonderful stay we had. All of the staff was personable and helpful. We needed to stay slightly later for a business call and they were very accommodating even though we aren't reward members.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. Most importantly, we were treated very well. Stayed while visiting colleges and if my child attends in Tampa, we'll be staying at this hotel whenever we visit. Definitely has earned the #1 in Florida rating.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
georgeathisuites, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Kenji,

I am glad we delivered a great stay while you were on your college search. We wish the scholar great success, wherever he chooses to study.

I like your suggestion about an insiders guide to dining - I think I just may have to do a little more "research" on things like signature deserts, etc. There is no shortage on opinions about good food at the Holiday Inn Express, to be sure.

Again, thanks for staying. We hope he chooses Tampa and you stay again soon!

Pennington, New Jersey
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This hotel gave us a terrific experience at a reasonable price. The complimentary hot breakfast was more than adequate for us each day, and we very much enjoyed the complimentary ice cream in the evenings. The manager was especially cordial, showing up at breakfast each morning and checking in with guests. There are several restaurants and a movie theater within walking distance, and the hotel is right off of I-75. The fitness center is small, but all of the equipment is relatively new and in good condition. The TV gets many more channels than most hotels, including all HBO channels, and the wifi signal is strong. The shower was strong, unlike the low flow that you often get. Our rating would have been an easy 5, except that one day, our room was not cleaned despite the fact that we were out all day. We anticipate staying here again the next time we are in Tampa.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank roosdog
georgeathisuites, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Roos,

Thanks for the great review! I am so sorry for the miss on your room, but I guarantee that the next trip will earn that 5th star!

I am glad that you were able to enjoy the area, as well. We are lucky to have such a great selection of walkable restaurants, and a movie theater to boot.

We are happy to have served you, and we hope to see you again very soon!