“Staff Great!! Cleanliness in room--The Worst I've seen in a while”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs
Ranked #1 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Tampa, Florida
“Staff Great!! Cleanliness in room--The Worst I've seen in a while”
Reviewed September 9, 2008

This hotel definitely provides first class- five star service. The staff is superior to most hotels that I stay in. Breakfast was good. One notch above what is generally provided at other Holiday Inns. I was scared to eat the food though because my room was so dirty-- I thought maybe the kitchen would be dirty too. I stayed in mid-August just passing through Tampa and location was convenient to I-75. I was given room 312 (I believe) and it was terrible. Upon arrival, it smelled terrible. (Damp, moldy) Someone came and sprayed some freshener which did nothing to help the damp moldy smell. There were loose hairs all over the bathroom floor and tub. There was a revolting stain on the bedskirt closest to the bathroom. (dried vommit) and the desk chair had a huge stain of ??????? and I could not use it. You could not walk on the carpet without your shoes. Did I just get a bad room? I am not that picky. The entire staff was so friendly and nice. I can't believe housekeeping could be so bad. It is obvious that housekeeping is lacking-- as these things could not have gone un-noticed. I was planning on staying 3 nights, but left after 1. I will add pictures of the filth.

• Liked — Staff (breakfast and front desk)
  • Disliked — Dirty rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank goo0325
dl_nthg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs, responded to this review, September 30, 2008
Dear Valued Guest:

First of all, thank you for your very kind words about our staff. They work so hard everyday to provide the type of service that you described. So, when we read in your review that "This hotel definitely provides first class- five star service", it was truly music to our ears. It made us all feel soooo good!!.

However, when we read about the situation in your room, our hearts sank! The items you mentioned are completely unacceptable to us and we feel terribly. Unfortunately, our hotel suffered a burst pipe a few days prior to your stay. That resulted in flooding on all of the floors of the hotel. Our staff literally worked around the clock to deal with that unfortunate situation. The stains and odors in your room were the result of this flooding. While every room in the affected areas of the hotel were supposed to have been set in our computers as "out-of-order" (not open to rent), your room obviously "slipped through the cracks". It was a terrible oversight on our part and we feel very badly. Just a few days after your stay your room was thoroughly treated to address all of the items you mentioned.

Based on your your very positive experience with our staff, we hope that you will give us another chance to make good on our promise of spotless accommodations. So please give me a call at the hotel so I can arrange for a free multi-day stay the next time you are in town or if you prefer a refund of your recent stay.

Best Regards,
Kathy Z.
(on behalf of our entire staff)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Worcestershire
Reviewed August 29, 2008

Having stayed in many Holiday inns I have to say this is the best service experienced in any hotel within the group to date. Free beer/water offered at check in for each member of the family, Free ice creams in the evening. Excellent twin bedded rooms, excellent free breakfast. Free internet..

Reasonable priced restaraunts and a multi screen cinema within walking distance. 20 minutes drive to Busch Gardens / Water park.

The place prides itself on it's service and has to be held as an example for other to follow.

• Liked — Service quality
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank petebWorcestershire
Yorkville, IL
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed in the 2 bedroom family suite and we really enjoyed our stay. Our room was spotless and very spacious. The room was decorated in a way that made us feel at home. All of the decorations and pictures were very tasteful, especially the old photogragh of the little boy - that was such a nice touch. And the furniture and beds were very comfortable - we slept great!

In addition to the accomodatons, the service was perfect from the second we walked in. The complimentary bottle of beer or water when we arrived was great. And the complimentary ice cream during the evenings was very nice after a hot summer day in Florida. I can't say enough about the customer service from the front desk staff. They were so friendly, nice, and helpful. They gave our kids a free toy every day and made all of us smile. They really made our stay even more enjoyable.

The hotel also has a nice pool, a fitness center, and a very good complimetary breakfast. The location of the hotel worked well for us, too. We were close to Busch Gardens and not too far from the beaches. We will stay here whenever we are in Tampa

• Liked — The people!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Sammy_Lease
Georgia
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We spent the weekend in Tampa to visit the florida aquarium. We enjoyed our stay with holiday inn express. Each night the kids got a free toy and free ice cream. They looked forward to 8 pm each night. Our room was very clean and the bed slept great. The bathroom was clean as well. We swam in the pool both days, and it was nice and quiet. I have no complaints!

• Liked — clean room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Hackensack, NJ
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I will admit I was a bit skeptical about reserving a Holiday Inn. I read several reviews on Tripadvisor, Yahoo and Hotels.com so I took a chance. I am so glad I did.

My family and I enjoyed our recent stay at Holiday Inn Express (Bruce B. Downs). The location is perfect for Busch Gardens, it's quiet, excellent locale for food, beverage and shopping, a movie theater directly across from the hotel we could not ask for more.

The staff is phenomenal. Everyone greets you with a smile. The free breakfast fit right into our budget. It's always nice to save on at least one family meal. By the way, the kids loved the free ice cream in the evenings.

This is our second visit to Tampa. After my first visit I promised I would never return to Tampa but after this stay in the New Tampa (off Interstate 75) we will return. My tip is DO NOT STAY anywhere off (Interstate 4). Thank you Holiday Inn, on behalf of my husband and two children, we will stay again!!!

• Liked — the clean rooms, friendly staff and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed July 8, 2008

If you are like me, cleanliness is everything when staying in a hotel. This one met my expectations. The room was bright and clean. As for the bathroom, it was also clean and roomy. There was plenty of counter space for toiletries. The only exception was the tub faucet in the bathroom had a leak.
The hotel is located in the newer side of Tampa, convenient to restaurants and shops. There is a Movie Theater located a block away and our family was able to walk over with no concerns with major traffic. Busch Gardens is about 10 miles away but getting there was no problem.
The pool was fantastic warmed to just the right temperature. It is a great place to relax and beat the Florida heat.
The breakfast was decent with plenty of alternatives like muffins, fruits, eggs and bacon. Not bad for a complimentary meal.
More freebies offered: computers/internet access in the lobby, coffee, ice cream at night, local and national newspapers ...
I would highly recommend this hotel for its cleanliness, convenient location, and quiet atmosphere.

• Liked — Clean and modern
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2008

This was our second stay at this property. We picked this Holiday Inn based solely on the reviews of Trip Advisor. Thank you to all who wrote in reviews for this property in the past two years. We had a wonderful stay as we did the first time. The heated pool was not crowded at all, it was very clean and the water was so warm.....they even kept it open a half hour after it was suppose to close so we could swim due to our late check in. We were offered complementary beers and the kids complimentary ice creams nightly. The friendly staff that was working when we were there was the same staff that was there on our first stay. They have been there since the hotel opened. Check-in was speedy. We had a nice room. The beds were very comfy and so was the bedding. The comforter was elegant and PLUSH. They even offered two labled pillows for each guest, "firm" and "soft". The breakfast is great. However the eggs needed a little help. They had something for everyone on the breakfast bar. Fruit, cereals, muffins, bagels, breads, eggs, sausage, bacon, breakfast wraps. It saves you money when you have a family of four and can eat breakfast for FREE. We got a free newspaper each morning. I also loved the free toiletress they give you. The body lotion smells like marachino cherries. The breakfast room is open all night (not to eat, just to relax). They have free computers to axcess the internet and a couch. We had full control of the t.v. while we were down there late at night. The hotel area is fantastic too. It's about a block from the highway, in a new up and coming town. There is every restaurant/eatery place you needed right around the hotel (even though the hotel is out of the way of the busy town). There is a fancy "HOLLYWOOD" style movie theater across the street that you could walk to. Overall an EXCELLENT hotel and would ONLY stay there when we vacation in Tampa!!!!!!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING!
  • Disliked — The scrambled eggs
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family