Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs
$209
$199
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay(Tampa)
$159
$178
$136
$85
$72
Hotels.com
All reviewsfree ice creambusch gardensice cream at nightmovie theater across the streetfront deskpresidential suitepancake machinethe general managerrecommend this hotelhotel is locatedyogurtincluded breakfastthe hotel is cleanminute driveeach morningcomfortable staybush gardens
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is an update to a review from one year ago.

There's lots of great things about this hotel and a few little problems, none of which should keep you from staying here if you get a good price or the hotel is convenient to where you want to be.

Among the great things: super friendly staff who greet you warmly when you check in and look up to say hello every time you walk by (this is an improvement from last year). A free beer or bottle of water when you check in. Free ice cream in the lobby every evening. A pretty good breakfast (if you stick with the cold stuff) and a free newspaper. Free wifi. And the hotel is clean and quite. In particular, this is one of the few hotels where you don't hear doors slamming up and down the hallways. Somehow, they've managed to quiet their doors.

On the small list of things to improve: bathroom cups and coffee cups in the room weren't replenished after being used. No fresh fruit one morning at breakfast. Various kinds of "eggs" that didn't taste like eggs. Or like anything. A toaster that took 5 minutes to make a piece of toast (long lines and folks who gave up). Slow wifi that often dropped the connection.

And one thing that Holiday Inn itself cannot fix. Although the location is convenient to lots of area attractions, it is annoying to get to. The left hand turn from Bruce B Downs Blvd can take several light cycles and as long as ten minutes. Add to this the timing of the light coming off of 275 south and just getting into the hotel can take 10-15 minutes longer than you expect.

Overall, nice place to stay if you need to stay in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank drbking
georgeathisuites, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

"Dear Dr. King,

Thanks so much for the great feedback! We are always in the process of reviewing our operations for areas of improvement. Your honest comments drive our desire to make your next stay "great".

We will be reviewing your "short list" , and your compliments, at our weekly Continuous Improvement Meeting. Also, I have shared your comments on the signal timing with the City of Tampa. I'll bet they care just as much as I do, about the impressions they leave on our travelers.

We look forward to serving you again in the future!

-George Sandona, General Manager"

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I went there with my family for spring break, we had a 2 Queen Suite. It was perfect for us. Many restaurants in the area! The hotel is very quiet. Busch Gardens is close by. Ask the hotel for discount tickets.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed at other hotels where there is a smokey or musty odor, but with this one not a smell. The garbage cans are very clean and also the carpet. The only thing was not so good is the washing machine and dryer on the third floor. Usually my skin would itch soon as I go on the beds. But this one was so clean. The breakfast was great. The pancake maker was not bad at all. The temperature was very good too, as there was a few cold days. Definitely stay there again. Everything is close by. The staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool. We were happy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I just returned from a 7 night stay at this HI with my sister and niece. This was the perfect hotel for 3 women traveling alone. Very quiet and safe location. Anything you needed was a short distance away. Movie theater across the street, restaurants, grocery store, etc..

We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite..... Enough room for 3 women and all their belongings. Hotel was spotless. Beds were comfortable, pool area was quiet and very nice. The best service I have seen at any hotel we have stayed in...especially Judy at the front desk. I had many questions regarding directions and places to visit.. she always took the time to answer..even printed out directions for me. The GM came around and asked how we were enjoying our stay..he was truly interested in our comments.

The included breakfast was by far the best I have ever eaten at a hotel... The eggs were wonderful...as were the warm cinnamon rolls. Some of the furniture could be replaced.. it was showing signs of wear. They will be doing a major renovation this spring.

The location is perfect if you want to stay on the northeast side of Tampa.. We felt very safe in that area of Tampa. 15 mins to Hard Rock Casino..depending on trafic... approx 40 mins to airport..which was not a bad drive at all.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The front desk greeted us and offered a beverage at check-in just like they advertised. Ice Cream Social is just serve yourself pre-packaged ice cream treats, but for free who's complaining. Breakfast was good ... they promote a pancake maker vs a waffle maker. Not bad, but think I'd prefer the waffles. Everything about our stay was very good except the wi-fi. It was bad at best. Location of the hotel is good, easy to get to off the expressway and a major road. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
georgeathisuites, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear SB,

Thanks for the compliments! I am sorry that our WiFI wasn't meeting your needs during your stay. If you ever experience this again in our hotel, please call the desk and we will reset your access point. Our system is FIOS, so normal operation renders excellent service throughout the hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed the room, the ice cream and the hospitality. We look forward to serving you again!

-George Sandona, General Manager