Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Spruce Street
Ranked #113 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I picked this hotel because of the good reviews and the location to where my son works in town. I arrived on Saturday afternoon and had a very easy checkin. Upon entering my first floor room I was taken aback by a foul smell (moldy/chemical smell). I knew I couldn't spend the next 3 nights in that room so I went right back to the front desk where the attendant quickly gave me another room down the hall. This room passed the smell test, though not completely odor free. When the AC was on the odor was not as apparent though.
While the room appeared neat and clean I noticed over the 3 nights of staying there it was not as clean as I would have liked. The shower had hairs in it. The floor in the kitchen area had crumbs and dust on it (behind the door). I also stepped on a staple in the carpet. I was alone in the room so I know I didn't do anything to dirty it with crumbs and staples. Also, I just assume every hotel will have a hair dryer but this one didn't. There were no toiletries either other than soap. I didn't read ahead of time about the maid service - which is only every 7 days. So re-entering the room to an unmade bed caught me by surprise. I made it myself the next day. There should be a better supply of tissue paper in the bathroom and more waste baskets considering the room is not maintained for a 3 night stay.
When I went to check out on the last morning there was no one at the counter. There was a gentlemen in the hallway who said his shift was done and was leaving. He said he didn't have access to the computer - I would have to wait for someone who was running late and expected there within a 1/2 hour. Luckily I did have just a half hour before my flight so I waited and she did show up. Strange to not have front desk coverage at 7:30 in the morning
I did like the free parking and wifi. The "breakfast" was fine for my liking but it was only a few items in baskets beneath the coffee counter. The location is good too.
I will stay somewhere else on my next visit,

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Spruce Street, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. What you have described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I am meeting with my staff to ensure that these issues do not happen again in the future. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at tws@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The fornt desk representive , Margi , has made our stay very outstanding.
She always has a smile on her face and accomdates any needs necessary.
This hotel is very clean , comfortable.
I recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Recommend the east side much sunlight (:
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kimmy J
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Spruce Street, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you so much for the lovely compliments. We are very fortunate to have wonderful desk clerks and housekeepers who pride themselves in their work. Thank you again for your review. We really appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel. I love these rooms that have almost a full kitchen. And unlike some others, there were also good places to put your luggage. Flatscreen TV but not enough TV stations. I wish they had some sort of business center so I could print out boarding passes, etc. And since they are an airport hotel, they need an airport shuttle.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank drdroad
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Spruce Street, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

I received a copy of your review, and am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It's true that we do not have a business center, but we are always more than happy to print out boarding passes at the front desk. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you next time you're in Tampa!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I travel extensively & MUST congratulate Extended Stay on Spruce Street for the exceptional experience in hospitality I receive every time I stay there. The Front Desk staff members always have a welcoming smile & warm greeting - no matter what time I arrive after dealing with the hassles of traveling. The new deluxe upgrades are outstanding, especially the super comfortable beds, the flat screen T.V.s & fast wi-fi connection.
The accommodations are more like apartments with a desk that makes it easy to conduct business, a small kitchen with full sized fridge & cooking area so I do not have to go to the trouble of eating out during my stay.
The housekeeping staff is always cheery & accommodate any housekeeping needs in a swift manner.
It us very relaxing & I certainly have confidence in recommending this hotel for either business or leisure travelers. Thank you to the Manager.

Room Tip: Northwest corner is sunny & looks out over a small lake.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Gary F

We are honored by your high praise, and are elated to hear you felt we offered an "exceptional experience" — that's exactly what we strive for! Thank you for recommending us, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed here for 18 days while on business. It was a very good experience: clean, recently renovated, good service (once a week housekeeping), great built-in kitchen. Very reasonable price: a bit over $50/night. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CEMS16
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Spruce Street, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and felt our hotel was a great value. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was a great choice. The staff was nice and very professional. The hotel was very nice, modern and clean. It was close to all major attractions: international mall, stadium, downtown, and all the great museums Tampa has to offer. Overall great hotel, beautiful clean rooms, nice big flat screen tv, and great service.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Lissetc
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - Tampa - Airport - Spruce Street, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

We think you made a great choice too! Like you said, we are centrally located; surrounded by excellent restaurants and entertainment venues. We loved having you here, you were a pleasure to serve. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel was better than i expected. I've recently stayed at a Extended Stay while visiting Houston which was just ok but this property was way better. Room looked exactly like the pictures. I liked the flooring in the bathroom very modern. Overall had a good experince. No complaints!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mrswide1219

I am so grateful that you took the time to write a review of your stay. It's wonderful to hear you were pleasantly surprised by our recent renovations. We are excited about our new upgrades and are thrilled to see the lovely pictures you uploaded. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again real soon.