“Diamond in the rough”

Shrimp & Co
Ranked #261 of 2,435 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Was in the mood for some good seafood last night and took the chance on this place. Glad I did! The restaurant could use some TLC, the staff can learn customer service, and the manager needs to learn how to properly order for the restaurant. The place was a bit dirty, our waiter was rude, and they seemed to be out of almost everything on the menu. All of that seemed to be not important once I received my food, it was excellent. I ordered the Louisiana Steam Pot which comes with two and 1/2 pounds of whole cajun crawfish, shrimp, andouille, red potatoes and corn cobbettes. I thought I was back in Louisiana. Authentic bayou food. Will definitely return to this establishment.

1  Thank Yvette M

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We wanted to try something different and wander by chance to this small hole in the wall. As a traveler, you can always get a good idea if the food is good if the place is full of patrons during "off" hours. It was true for this restaurant, with it being half full in between the lunch and dinner crowd.

The food was fantastic and service staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. If you go, definitely try the mangle clam appetizer and the gumbo soup if it is available. Best gumbo soup that I have tasted. Compares to the best of them, even New Orleans!

As for the fried seafood that we sampled, they were all well seasoned and delicious. They were also NOT greasy at all and full of flavor.

We will definitely be back and highly recommend to any hungry traveler looking for a good place to relax and have a delicious meal.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I ordered and ate a shrimp basket dish for lunch with colleagues in January. Fried shrimp, french fries and a few hush puppies. Everything was good (if you're there to eat fried food for lunch). The lunch menu doesn't feature as many choices as I would have liked. I didn't really feel like eating fried shrimp but I was there with a group and didn't want to propose eating elsewhere. Despite lunch being fried at least what was fried was crisp and tasty. In my opinion there wasn't much shrimp on the plate. The shrimp basket cost around $9 and I think there were around ten shrimp on the plate mixed with fries and hush puppies. The hush puppies were good. There was also a spicy cold slaw which was surprisingly delicious, the slaw was a bonus in this lunch. After lunch I ordered vanilla ice cream to go and they packed it in a styrofoam container with a styrofoam lid which was fantastic because the container kept the ice cream in shape for more than an hour's later consumption. I recommend Shrimp & Co. for lunch because the service was expedient. You can get in and out with a group of eight within 45 minutes and parking is adjacent the restaurant so parking was generally hassle-free for us on that day.

Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife have been here around four times and I must say we pig out everytime we come. I usually get the-pick-three entree which lets you pick three selections of fried fish and/or chicken and two sides. The catfish is good and the chicken strips are good too. The mahi mahi is ok too. Hush puppies are on point and my wife's blacken tilapia usually is pretty tasty as well. Everytime we go it usually isn't packed, so service is at your hand. The only knock I have on this place and the reason why there isn't a lack of patrons is the food is very over priced. Most items are ranging from $15- $30. But if you are looking for good fried bayou food there isn't too many in the area and this is one.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

The first time I went to this restaurant I loved it, but it had just opened and alas, no Chardonnay to have with my nice fish.

This time, YEAH! Chardonnay! (Would have preferred Simi or Sterling, but oh well). Waiter was great, very helpful. I was on my own which is often uncomforable and/or boring, but not at Shrimp & Co. It was a very pleasant experience. I live in Calif and we don't get grouper, so I indulged and had fried grouper, fries and key lime pie (and no, not everything is fried). All was wonderful and the fish was very fresh. Can't wait to go back!

Been to Shrimp & Co? Share your experiences!