“The experience turned into a nightmare!!”

Wat Mongkolratanaram Thai Temple
Ranked #41 of 2,435 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I wish I wouldn't have to write this, but I'd like the food vendors to be more careful with their food handling. On Sunday, June 8, 2013, our group went for lunch and each one of us bought at least two dishes. I bought chicken curry with fried rice, and the fresh spring rolls. I hardly touched the fried rice, so I took it home. At dinner, when I was about to heat it, I saw a big cockroach wrapped in the rice. It was a nightmare. Too bad I didn't see it while we were eating at the picnic area so I could have shown it to the vendor. Will never go back to that place again. It's a shame as the place is relaxing.

5  Thank SolitaPecache

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Beautiful temple and picnic area along the Palm River. Went recently and saw dolphins swimming just off the shore. Great food and the prices are fair. Definitely go early (by 10 AM at least) or you will be caught in large crowds. The soup line is always the longest. The portion of soup is huge so you can share amongst your group. We prefer to skip that line and try out the other yummy stuff. Don't miss the fried bananas/taro/sweet potato. So yummy! I've heard about the coconut custards but I've never been able to have one since they're never ready when I'm there. Seating is all on picnic tables along the water so wear a hat in the sun for sure!

3  Thank Mi8tcuc
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Read this for a shortcut to all the other short cuts posted about the Thai Temple. Hit me up with a thumbs up on the feedback button below in return please. :)

I have heard about the Thai Temple for years now and have never been able to make it, well those days are over and what an experience.

Firstly, they are only open on Sunday. You need to arrive between 9:15 - 9:45 if you want to park anywhere close or even on the grounds, otherwise good luck.

When arriving this early you will be able to not only park close but easily see all of the various food lines, as well as pick a table. Some of the cooking stations were not ready until about 9:30 but that was fine. There is a long line on the north side of the food area with pre-packaged fresh foods ( see my pictures ). Then there is a drink station, a station cooking fried sweet potatoes and other vegetables. After that is the famous soup line, go here first as this line gets crazy long by 9:45 - 10:00.

At the soup line you will need to be ready or they will get short with you. You get to choose from angel hair sized noodles, medium sized, and wide, I tried the wide because they are easier to eat. Then you pick beef, pork, or vegetables to go in the soup. In the bottom of every soup bowl they line it with fresh bean sprouts which adds good crunch to the dish. Finally you have to pick from the small or large bowl Small is $6 and large is $8. The small is gigantic, the large is borderline ridiculous. Get the small.

Once you have your soup and other items found on the deck of the main building go sit by the river on the tables and enjoy. Make sure to notice they are selling plants and fresh veggies / fruits at the west end of the pic-nic area, there is also a kabob station set up down there too not to be missed.

The food is very reasonably priced and when they run out ( I am told around noon - 2:00 ) they are done for the day. Most importantly, CASH ONLY ! From someone that uses his credit card everywhere for frequent flyer points I had to remember to get cash Saturday before going Sunday.

It's quite the experience, check it out !

20  Thank CandS2009
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Definitely a very cool place to visit and experience. On Sundays there are volunteers that prepare and serve a variety of Thai foods and desserts are fair prices. There is a very good selection of different foods to try ranging from the most popular soup noodles (get there early otherwise its a long wait in line and they may sell out) to spring rolls (not very good or fresh). We visited once when there was a special festival going on and there seemed to be even more variety of foods. Make sure to visit on a nice day as there is only outdoor seating.

2  Thank hfh46
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I completely disagree with previous review complaining about portion of the soup. I'm a guy that eats more than most and the thai soup more than fills me up. $6 for lunch is not expensive. The food here is really good, have a temple and market as well as various performances. To have this in the states is great. The spring rolls(not fried) are fantastic. Yes, there are a lot of people that go, but for the price and uniqueness of the spot and good food it's a great place to visit.

3  Thank c4greene