Straz Center for the Performing Arts
Open today: 12:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
Broadway Series at the Straz

The Straz Center for the Performing Arts is a great facility. The Broadway Series is excellent and... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
John M
New Port Richey, Florida
Man of La Mancha at Shimberg Playhouse

What a great show. The performers are extremely talented, especially Marcus Blake and Jessica Rose... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Debra N
Brandon, Florida

Recommended experiences in and around Tampa
from $29.99
from $65.05
from $29.99
More Info
All reviews morsani hall phantom of the opera book of mormon during intermission broadway series florida orchestra covered walkway valet parking center aisle les miserables balcony seats season tickets great acoustics nice venue box seats box office hillsborough river
Selected filters
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I had purchased a booth to see Les Mis at the Straz.(Carol Morsani). I've been to other shows there and had always been in the orchestra section. But for Les Miz I thought I'd treat my family and get a booth on the mezzanine level. The sight lines were good however the seats were extremely uncomfortable to the point you wanted to stand. And not only for my wife and I but for our teenaged daughter as well. I would definitely not ever select a booth(box) again.

7  Thank fldave
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Its still the largest performing arts complex south of DC and the three theaters give Tampa Bay audiences a full choice of intimate shows and big Broadway hits. I have been told by New York theater people that the huge stage, monsterous backstage, overall facilities, and location make this a pleasing stop for traveling shows. We are very lucky here in Tampa.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

For years I had season tickets to the Broadway Series at the Performing Arts Center. They became hugely expensive. Our seats were newly classified as some of the best, probably to be able to justify the cost. Even though they were chosen many years ago when there were good choices to be had, i have almost never had an unobstructed view of the stage. The only time I have not had to bob from side to side to see around the person in front, is when the seat is empty. I am of normal height, and most of the people occupying the seats in front were of reasonably normal height; so there seems no excuse why anyone should have that much trouble seeing around the person in front.

In spite of the fact that the center is considered older now, by Tampa standards (NYC theaters have been there many times as long and are still high quality), the acoustics were never as good as most other theaters at which I have seen shows. Their fund-raising profits seem to be spent on exterior music schools and other venues rather than improving the experience of the main theater at the Performing Arts Center. They ought to concentrate on that first.

Date of experience: March 2011
Reviewed February 21, 2012

we have season tickets and have been impressed with the performances and the value. It is a great theater. They offer lots of classes and workshops for those looking to get into acting, music, dancing, or other performing arts. We are lucky to have this in our community.

Reviewed February 17, 2012

The quality of the shows compared to some other venues in the area.

1  Thank jleo71