“Buffalo Nickels”

The OFFICIAL Ybor City Ghost Tour
Ranked #14 of 82 Tours in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: As the sun sets, the restless souls of Ybor City's past begin to stir. Join us on a two hour tour to learn their stories as you walk the streets of this historic town with your guide.Tours begin at 6:30 p.m.Monday through Wednesday and 8 p.m. on every other night. Reservations are required. $25. per adult.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Looking for things to do in the Tampa Bay area recently, I came across the Ybor City Ghost Tour. Reviewers mentioned the tour guide, Joe Howden, doing such a wonderful job with the tour it piqued my interest. When Living Social offered half-price admission to the tour, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to experience it for myself.

Joe is a natural born storyteller and a long-time resident of Ybor City. He accepts the presence of supernatural activity without hesitation and he knows the history of the city well. He brought the past to life in his stories, firing my imagination with visions of Dr. Jorge Trelles and his beautiful wife Conchita who haunts the Ybor City Resort and Spa, as well as Dr. Avellanal, Jr. who haunts the Don Vicente Inn.

We were fortunate to enter the Don Vicente Inn on the night of our tour, as well as the Cuban Club - Ybor City's most haunted building. Joe passed out flashlights and ghost meters to measure the magnetic energy in both spaces. It was positively spooky!!

Clearly, this is a labor of love as Joe noted on several occasions he wished he had far more than the 90 minutes allotted to the tour to tell many more of the ghost stories he's accumulated over the years.

I enjoyed the history lesson which was so artfully woven into the ghostly tales, and I felt privileged to enter into these beautiful old buildings, so lovingly restored and maintained preserving the history of times past...

This was a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it.

There are newer reviews for The OFFICIAL Ybor City Ghost Tour

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We are veteran ghost tour takers around the south and without a doubt Joe is the most knowledgable and passionate tour guide we've had. His passion for Ybor City history is obvious and we very much liked that the stories were based on real, researched historical facts. Joe isn't in it for the cheap scare factor, he focuses more on the interesting link between the living and the dead. We thoroughly enjoyed the stories Joe told and we were surprised that we were able to roam around inside two of the most haunted locations. We've never had access like that to famously haunted buildings and we loved it. We also took some pretty interesting photos and heard a few unexplained voices. The tour runs 2+ hours because Joe is more than willing to talk, tell more stories and answer questions. We ended up talking with him long after the tour was over. You can tell he loves this stuff, and that makes the experience so much more fun.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was the first ghost tour that my wife and I went on and it was a lot of fun. Our guide, Joe, really made the history of Ybor come alive. We actually went inside two haunted locations. However, for me, the Cuban Club was the most impressive. Even before we were given "ghost meters" to play with, I had a strong oppressive sensation in there. Its great to see another side of Ybor beside the night clubs and tattoo parlors.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I purchased a Living Social voucher for 2 for this ghost tour and was pleasantly surprised. We have done tours like this before in other city's which usually consisted of walking and stopping in front of haunted places and hearing their stories but much to our surprise we actually went into a couple of these haunted places at night in the dark with ghost meters! How cool is that! I learned a lot about the history of Ybir as well and definitely will go again and highly recommend it.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We went on the ghost tour with our guide, Joe - he had a ton of information on the history of Ybor City and some of it's more colorful and infamous residents. He fits the part very well, and you can tell he is very passionate about Ybor City. We visited two sites, the Don Vincente Inn and the Cuban Club. I have been to both of those places during the day for differnet events, but at night with only a flashlight (in the Cuban Club) it's a totally different place (inside the theatre with just flashlights was pretty spooky). The Don Vincente inn is beautiful, but I don't think I would want to spend the night there (before this tour, I heard things about the basement being haunted) because it was just a tad too spooky for me, but again, a beautiful hotel. We had a good time using the Ghost Meters (provided by Joe, as well as flashlights) and at the Cuban Club they wouldn't stop going off. Our tour ran very long (about 2.5-3 hours), so be sure to wear appropriate clothing (comfortable shoes, comfortable clothes, and take an umbrella in case it rains). All in all a fun night - it wasn't a ghost tour filled with theatrics, so don't expect doors slamming unexpectdly - it's more of a historic story filled with murder, mystery and scandals. I won't forget this for sure - and next time I drive past the sites we talked about and went into, I will look at them with a different viewpoint...

1  Thank Cynthia S