Review Highlights
fishing trip

Captain Ames does a great job of putting us on different kinds of fish.I have been out with Captain... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
mnfishermen
Great Spring fishing in Tamp Bay

Connected with Capt Stewart at Ozona Fish Camp for a one-day spring trip. He met us early, boat... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Jdoc143
Sewickley, Pennsylvania

Recommended experiences in and around Tampa
from $28.00
from $29.99
from $109.00
from $65.05
More Info
All reviews captain ames red fish redfish catching fish spanish mackerel great guide live bait his knowledge king mackerel quality fish his passion caught snook avid fisherman super patient an excellent teacher twin boys amazing trip
Reviewed February 19, 2019

My son-in-law, my grandson (17), and I hired Captain Ames for a 4-hour fishing trip. Knowing that February was not the best time of year for Florida fishing, we were just ready to enjoy the scenery and the boat ride. We found that Captain Ames is a knowledgeable fisherman, an excellent teacher, and a persistent individual. Knowing the waters well, he took us to spots where we were likely to catch fish. We ended up catching plenty of fish, as well as learning a great deal about fishing in general and this area in particular. If we get back to the Tampa area next year, we would definitely seek out Captain Ames again.

Date of experience: February 2019
Stewart A, Owner at Gone Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2019

Michael;

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post this review. I really appreciate it.

Reviewed February 10, 2019 via mobile

Would highly recommend Captain Ames for your fishing charter. He went above and beyond for my family and I. My family and I were visiting the in-laws in Lakeland Fl. We had planned a different charter with another reputable captain. On the eve of our charter the captain cancelled because he was sick. We only had two days left in Florida. We called Captain Ames to see if he was available. He initially said he was not available, but upon hearing of our dilemma, he stepped up and made room for us on a charter. Not only did he did he take us out at the moments notice but he knew all the good spots to catch the best fish for my two sons. There is no doubt when we are back down in Florida we will absolutely contact Captain Ames for another charter.

Date of experience: January 2019
Stewart A, Owner at Gone Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2019

Brian;

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this review. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Reviewed December 29, 2018

Loved our trip with Gone Fishing Charters! Capt Ames went out of his way to make sure we had a great trip and had the opportunity to fish for a variety of species. He really knows this area, and we caught amazing fish. He made it easy for each of us to fish, cleaned the fish for us, and gave us cooking suggestions. Really memorable day!

Date of experience: December 2018
Stewart A, Owner at Gone Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2019

Is this Hana? Thank you very much for taking the time to do this review. Happy New year.

Reviewed November 26, 2018 via mobile

Just as every other review states, Captain Stewart knows how to put you on fish. We had nonstop action the whole trip. We caught 5 kingfish, 2 snook, about a dozen Spanish mackerel, several jack crevalles, and even a couple sea trout. He strategically moved us around to several different spots throughout our day to keep us on fish the whole trip. At the end of our trip, he filleted up our catch and recommended a local restaurant to cook it for us. He’s been fishing the Tampa Bay area for decades and continues to provide exceptional service. Id say the best part of the whole experience, other than the phenomenal fishing, was his honesty with the fishing forecast and communication up to our trip. If he thinks conditions wont be good, he will let you know. I will book him next time I’m in the Tampa Bay area.

Date of experience: November 2018
1  Thank KyleButler11
Stewart A, Owner at Gone Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2018

Kyle;

Thanks very much for taking the time to do this. Enjoy the holiday season.

Reviewed October 29, 2018

Captain Ames donated a 3/4 day fishing trip to All Children's Hospital while my wife and I were staying there with our new born sick child. We have had a tough year trying to get our life back together since our son has been home after staying 7 months in the hospital. After 10 months of having the gift certificate I finally talked myself into taking a day to enjoy fishing (a hobby I used to enjoy almost every weekend).
Between the cold front and the high winds, we were concerned fishing would be tough, but Captain Ames found us snook after snook from the very beginning. We also got into a few redfish, jacks, and a few other fish. Captain Ames was very informative, friendly, and knowledgeable about fishing and also the area. Very clean boat! If you are looking for a great captain to take you out for the day this is the guy. Thanks Captain Ames for donating to such a great cause and taking us out for a great day.

Date of experience: October 2018
1  Thank Sightseer421939
Stewart A, Owner at Gone Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2018

Mike;

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. I really appreciate it.