“no improvement after all this time”
Review of Gio's Italian

Gio's Italian
Ranked #423 of 2,435 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2013

this is our second visit there. Not having been for a long time, we thought there might have been some improvements. But we are sorry to say, it hasn't changed. We arrived on the dot of 7 PM, for when we had booked our table. A waiter showed us to the table immediately, and we were seated by the wall, which is lined with a lot of wine bottles. My understanding always has been, that an older vintage wine should almost lay flat, but maybe not. 4 other tables were occupied as well, and we were given some rolls and water, and our order had been taken by 7.10 PM. We had only ordered an entrée, which was finally served at 7.47 PM, a very long wait. I had previously asked for some lemon for my water, which I had to ask for again, and that was then served by a third person. The wait for everything just seemed far too long, especially with 3 other tables only having 2 people sitting there and the fourth table was occupied by 4 people. Some piano was played in the background, on and off, because whenever somebody else came in after us, the piano player jumped up to take the people to the table because several times there was nobody there to greet them.
When the food finally arrived, my husband couldn't believe his eyes. He had ordered the breaded escalope's of veal, which had been beaten so thin, that the bread crumbs were twice as thick as the meat, which made the meat very dry, too dry. He didn't want to complain about it because we had a previous engagement and could not afford to wait for another meal to be cooked. My meal of pasta with grouper was okay, the pasta was cooked al dente (nice), and I also found a few small morsels of grouper in it, I had asked for a white sauce with garlic and a dash of white wine in it, which was okay. When we finished and asked for our bill, the coupon from Restaurant.com had not been taken off, is that a standard procedure ? Because just a little while later the bill from the next table to us arrived and they also had a Restaurant.com coupon, that also had not been taken off. The price for the pasta was fine, but my husband's meal just seemed too expensive, especially for what it was. Also my one glass of Sangiovese, which was $7 on the wine list was charged at $8, but we just let it go. As for atmosphere and ambience, I couldn't find either, because certainly the waiters didn't attribute to it., they could hardly smile, what a shame. The table cloths also seemed very crumpled, just pulled out of the dryer and put on the table, certainly not ironed, which you would expect in a pricier Restaurant. We really wanted to have a nice time, so maybe we'll have to try again, third time lucky.

4  Thank BB1Tampa

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The food is amazing from the appetizers to the soup to the entrees. Excellent veal and seafood. The ambiance is wonderful with the soft piano being played while you dine

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My nephew chose this restaurant for his birthday dinner. This was a new place for us all. I was pleasantly surprised. It was pouring raining when we arrived and the waiter met us at the car with a golf umbrella. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. I had chicken parmesan and loved it because it was not breaded. The service was fast and friendly. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone that loves a great Italian meal.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I have lived less than five minutes from here for years and never tried it. It wasn't until the put out a groupon that we gave it a shot, and we are glad we did. The food was excellent and the service was also great!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Its in a strip mall with a lot of mid-line stores and offices. Tucked in a corner you might not find it if you didn't know it was there.. But once you know, you will keep coming back.
The food is top of the line and the service is excellent. I had the eggplant parmegiano and my wife enjoyed chicken piccatta. Shw wasn't sure what she wanted was called and the waiter was kind enough to walk her through possibilities to success. For the wine, we took the suggested Sangiovese blend and it was very good.
We ate early and the place was not full but anything after 6 will need a reservation.
They participate in Groupon and that is very good !