“not bad..but out in the boonies”

Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)
Ranked #43 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed April 30, 2011

i liked it..it was like the other hamptons i stayed in and the only negative i could find about the place is that it was out in the boonies..not near any place close..only 3 restaurants around..arby's, perkins and some rib place named jammers....which looked scary but had pretty good food for tampa..
i was there with my new babe and she didn't want to stay near raymond james stadium due to all the hookers around..
so we stayed here..i would do it again since it was a decent place..nice staff..but i may try a hampton inn closer to tampa or busch gardens next time. her only complaint was the king sized bed was not a "fluff bed"(??) but we had fun anyway on it and in the shower..
so it is out of the way but a good place for a nice rendevous..

Room Tip: ask for a room over the lake like we had..
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank naplesnole77
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)

Reviewed March 5, 2011

this is a typical hampton inn. very clean. the service was very helpful. the room was comfortable with everything we wanted. i almost didnt book this hotel because i saw an unsatisfactory review a few spots down but i took a chance and i was extremely relieved to find that this hotel is great ! i would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank buzznyc
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We stayed here one night, because our flight was cancelled. Got a great rate on Priceline. It is about 3 miles from the airport ($25 to $38 taxi fare).
Very clean, comfortable, helpful staff, wonderful free breakfast. Not a great neighborhood however. And when requesting the desk to call a taxi, be sure to ask for a Yellow Cab. They called us a Luxury Cab which was $38 as opposed to $25 coming in on Yellow Cab. A bit tricky I'd say. It would be nice if they provided a hotel shuttle.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I come here every other week for business and I would not recommend this hotel anymore! They lowered room rate jacked up everything else.. they don't even give you a bottle of water in the rooms anymore. I'm afraid to see what the sheets and blankets look like if they are sacking everywhere else now! My parents both work for an award winning Hampton in Ohio and this places room rate should be like 39.99 a night

• Stayed: January 2011
3  Thank sicsscam
Reviewed July 2, 2008

This was our first visit at this hotel. We go to Tampa once a year to fly to Mississippi. We thought this hotel was so clean and well-maintained that it must be brand new! The front desk girls were very helpful and friendly. They allowed us to check in quite early and have a late check out. The room was standard Hampton Inn but it was clean and had the curved shower curtain I like. There's not much "views" as it is in an industrial area, but we were not staying there for the view. This location is in the county so you will not find nearby strip clubs like many of the Tampa city hotels have. It was next door to an Arby's with a 7-11 about 1 block away. Within a mile was a Lowe's, Target, Walgreens, steakhouse (can't remember the brand---Logan's maybe? not Steak/Ale, not Outback), and a large nice movie theater. There is no airport transportation, which would be my only comment. But we were using off-airport parking so we wouldn't have used airport transportation even if they offered it. Our room was quiet and all items in the room worked well. The pool area was clean with towels stocked nearby. We had the pool to ourselves for about 2 hours before we checked out---seems to be mostly a business traveler's hotel although it is in a location to easily get to attractions. The breakfast area was clean, but standard Hampton food---no extra items offered. There is a free-use computer and printer in the lobby which was great for printing boarding passes. The front desk has a mini-sales area with "I forgot this" travel items, snacks, sandwiches, and drinks. The machines are Pepsi machines. The breakfast area was quite large with good amounts of seating....more than we usually see in hotels.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank spockmycat
Reviewed May 9, 2008

Stayed here one night for a meeting at a nearby office park. Location is very convenient to the offices in Woodland Center Blvd and I like the Hampton Inn because you always know what to expect with regard to the rooms, food, service, etc. The view from my room wasn't that great but I was there for work...if you want a nice view, I recommend staying down near the water or on the beach. But if you need a comfortable, clean and friendly place to stay, this is a great option.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed January 21, 2008

Stayed at this particular Hampton Inn in January 2008 for work. Overall, I had no problems with the hotel itself. Contrary to other reviews, my check-in was super quick.

Once I got to my room, I found it to be very clean, well-lit and comfortable. Pillows were plentiful and most importantly, the heating/cooling unit was quiet as a mouse! The only downside to the room was the bland view, which overlooked an ugly field and auto body repair shop. Needless to say I kept the blinds closed the entire duration of my stay!

The free breakfast buffet was not the greatest, but I still appreciated the free food! It had your basics - cereal, fruit, yogurt, breads, muffins, beverages - so I was happy. They also give you an option on taking a breakfast baggie to-go if you don't have time to sit down and eat. That was a nice touch.

My only beef with this hotel would be the location. Not close to anything at all, so please, please rent a car. Perhaps most of you already know Tampa is very spread-out; as such I was an idiot for relying on taxi cabs. Just calling one to the hotel took about 20 mins. So, just rent a car and you'll be fine. Then, with your wheels, head over to the International Plaza - a fabulous mall with many dining options!! Probably a mere 15-20 min. drive from the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)