“If you like to sleep at 78 degrees, you'll love it.”

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #16 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I do have positive things to say but I can't start without this being told. We were here with a conference group. On the last day of our stay we awoke to the room being uncomfortably warm. We called Maintenance, the gentleman proceeded to tell me that because it had turned cool that the chillers on the hvac was not working. Mind you that I had 5 other people in the hotel that had no problem. When I told him this he just shrugged his shoulders saying I don't know then. He tweaked it a bit and left. We hoped it would get better. It was 78 degrees in our room at night. After dinner we returned with great hopes that we would be able to sleep comfortably. Much to our dismay it was still very warm. I called again to let them know that the room temperature had not changed. The same Maint. employee returned and said There is nothing I can do. I ask him if he would be able to sleep in this room and he shook his head, No. He left and no one else even bothered to call to apologize, offer to move us or anything! We are now here in the room, very uncomfortable and paying $179 per night. I just can't believe there system does not work when it gets cooler outside. So if you are in the hotel and it gets cool outside be prepared to sleep in a very warm room. Or you could choose to go elsewhere. I definitely will next time!

Beautiful hotel but customer service overshadowed a beautiful hotel. So sad for the owners they have a beautiful product and their customers are not being taken care of in a respectful way.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Buttons017

Reviewed January 10, 2011

Loved the feeling when we walked into the lobby- Nice view- Nice sportsbar and close to the Forum

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed December 3, 2010

We arrived mid-afternoon on Saturday, the day before our cruise left, and our room was not yet ready. No problem, we left our suitcases with the concierge and walked along the canal to Channelside. Watched the Carnival Inspiration leave as we had margaritas from the outdoor deck at Bennigan's.

The convention center is next door. There is a very nice walkway along the canal called Riverwalk. We took this to Publix where we picked up some food/wine.

The room was very nice including the balcony. Bed was fabulous and there is a safe. Bathroom was a little less than I expected; I like the toiletries supplied. Buffet breakfast was included in our rate and it had a good selection, and omelet and waffle station too. The pool on the third floor was great; lots of outdoor seating too and a bar area though when we were at the pool (morning) it wasn't open. Laundry facilities too.

A very nice hotel, and I would stay here again if our ship leaves from Tampa.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mizlori
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We stayed two nights at the Marriott Waterside. We arrived rather late; valet parking and check in went smoothly and quickly. We had a couple of excellent drinks in Champions sports bar, which although it had a lively group of sports fans watching football, we were able to relax and unwind a bit. Next day we had a good buffet breakfast downstairs (Chef Frank makes OUTSTANDING omelets!). Friday night we booked the couples getaway rate which included complimentary breakfast for two, valet parking, bayside balcony room, and a bottle of champagne with chocolate covered strawberries. The strawberries were great--the chocolate covering was in two different layers of white and milk chocolate that made each strawberry look like it was wearing a tuxedo. Nice touch. Another nice touch was the email I received from the hotel two days prior to arrival confirming my request for the package deal, and asking my preference as to room location, etc. More on room location in a bit. Our room service breakfast was top-notch, everything was at the proper temperature and very well presented. Now...about room location: odd numbered rooms have bay views. Great unless you are there on a Friday or Saturday night, and the sound of pumping dance music bothers you. There is a club called jacksons right across the river, and the sound of the party carries across the water and into your room. No big deal for some, a deal-breaker for others. Be cognizant of this when you book. If you still wish to have a bay view try to get a higher-numbered room i.e. 2136. Anything in the 30s puts you at the opposite end of the hotel from jacksons. The even numbered rooms give you a city view, which isn't bad either.

All in all we were very happy with the level of accommodations, food, and service. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2010
3  Thank Steve328is
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I was in Tampa Bay for a event at the convention center. The hotel was a 4 star . Service great, rooms clean and the chef was amazing. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2010

This place was great!!! The room I was given was a very good size, had a very nice view of the bay and a balcony. The bed was very comfortable and most of the staff was very nice, provided us with driving directions and suggestions of good places near by. (I think the valet parking staff can do a little better) the concierge lounge was nice and had an ok selection of breakfast items in the morning and desserts at night. I asked for a late check out which was given to me until 1pm and then extended until 2pm without any hassle. I will definetely come back to this hotel next time I go to Tampa

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We spent two nights in March 2009 before heading further down the coast for a Spring Training trip. In a fun coincidence, the hotel was the headquarters for the SEC college basketball tournament , which was being held right across the street at the arena (St. Pete Times Forum) that weekend. Not only did we see a few of the teams walking through the lobby, but the place was packed with excited fans from schools like Kentucky and LSU and Mississippi State. Very fun. Champions Sports Bar is right off the lobby -- a big, legitimately fun place -- and it was mobbed with hoops fans. We had a blast there one night.

The hotel itself is very nice, though perhaps a touch more expensive that it should have been. Our room, though fairly basic, provided a nice view of the Tampa skyline. My wife took advantage of the in-house spa and loved it, though we were a little disappointed with the pool. Though billed as a "rooftop pool" it's really only on the 3rd floor, was much smaller than it appeared in photos, and it wasn't heated.

The hotel is right on the marina, and its restaurant has an outdoor section perched above the riverwalk. Very nice. There are a few restaurants just on the side of the channel, which are good, but note that there isn't much else nearby. Ybor City isn't too far away, though we made the mistake of visiting during the St. Patrick's Day Parade. A fun spectacle, sure, but it made the restaurants/bars impossible to enjoy. Note also that the hotel is at least a 30-45 minute drive to any beach.

In sum, we enjoyed the hotel (and the hoopla surrounding the basketball tournament) but Tampa itself was just ok.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple