“Nice hotel; horrible parking”

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #19 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Nice hotel; horrible parking”
Reviewed August 29, 2006

The hotel is very nice. It is along the water and the views of the city are very nice. However, the parking is terrible. There is only valet parking at the hotel. There is no self parking available. The hotel "contracts" out the valet service. There is the problem. One day they could not find my car at all. I complained to the front desk, and they appeared concerned but could do nothing to help. I spent over an hour and a half waiting while they looked for first my keys (which they couldn't find) and then later my car. They seemed much less concerned when they found out I had a rental car. I guess if I was driving one of very nice automobliles being parked things might have been different. Finally, I found my keys myself. They keys were properly tagged and placed. I guess they couldn't read or something. Meanwhile I was late for an important meeting. I wasn't the only one with a "lost" vehicle that day. When I complained to the front desk upon check-out, all I received was a sigh. I forgot to mention that they charge $12 a day for this outstanding parking service.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
7 Thank Countcost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 31, 2006

The Marriott was great! The staff was alert, friendly and able to take care of our questions and requests. They had plenty of bellmen to help with luggage. The front desk was well staffed, we never waited more than a few minutes for help. Check in was smooth, and a request for a King room was handled cheerfully the next day. The rooms were nicely arranged, comfy beds, terry robe, in-room safe, coffee maker and a mini refrigerator. Housekeeping was efficient, and there was turn-down service in the evening (either chocolates on the pillow or a snack of some kind). Rooms at the back of the hotel overlook a channel - we saw dolphins and rays, and in the distance could watch the cruise ships leaving. Champions Sports Bar had typical pub fare, geneorous portions and good prices. We tried The Waterside Cafe (for breakfast and lunch) and thought it did a good job. Within walking distance was Channelside , a mall with many restaurants and a few shops. We enjoyed our stay at the Marriott and would be glad to go back again. In fact, I am more likely to look for a Marriott in the next trip!

7 Thank piz79
DC
Reviewed April 9, 2006

I thought this property was very good, and they were interested in keeping their guests happy. I did have a little trouble booking a spa appointment.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank SaminDC
Troy, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2006

This past weekend my boyfriend and I visited Tampa on business and had a wonderful stay! The experience was unforgettable and a true value thanks to the impeccable service from the front desk to the valet and housekeepers.

The location was perfect, too. We were seconds from the convention center and walking distance or a short trolley ride from the best shopping districts. The room was very spacious with a comfortable bed and beautiful view from the balcony.

All in all, it was a great trip thanks to the Marriott and we’d go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank rmonkeygirl
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Just returned from a one night stay at the Marriott. I had reserved a king bed room but of course only double rooms were available despite the reservation. I had also requested a balcony but none available. The staff at the front desk were rude and not helpful. The room I was finally given was average size with view of arena. The bathroom was large but was typical for Holiday Inn, white tile floor, plain off white counter, old shower courtain, thin towels and no robe. The beds were worn out and way too soft. Nothing like the westins heavenly beds. The linens were on the other hand nice with clean Duvet covers and quality sheets. I felt the room was very plain and very ordinary.

The lobby was very nice and attractive. The hotel is right on the harbour so it was fun to see the yachts all lined up outside the hotel. I was there for a meeting and most of the food was cold and very boring. This is a very average hotel and could use a much more helpful front desk staff. It is clean but do not expect a luxury hotel. It is a very ordinary Marriott location.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank luv2travel63
Highland, California
Reviewed March 3, 2006

We flew into Tampa the day after Thanksgiving for a 1-night stay at the Marriott Waterside. I had made the arrangements online a few months earlier and got a very good rate that included a full breakfast. We were quite surprised that our room had a balcony and a lovely view of the bay. We enjoyed breakfast the next morning before making our way to the pier to board our cruise ship. Kudos to this Marriott!

4 Thank TwoCruisenuts