Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
2,997 results
All reviewsthe concierge loungeconvention centerjoyce williamschampions sports barbalcony roomwater viewamalie arenabeautiful hotelvalet parkingthe river walklobby barybor citycity viewhockey gamerooftop pooltrolley stophigh floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Spent Thanksgiving evening at this hotel to enjoy the holiday with family. The only convenient parking option was the Marriott valet parking garage at a cost of $20.00 per night as there is no self parking available. Upon receiving our vehicle the next morning, we noticed my sons ipod and sunglasses were stolen while the car was parked overnight. We informed the front desk of the situation and found out the valet parking was outsourced and the valet company would have to investigate the situation and they would get back to us. It took me almost 4 weeks to finally speak to a Tampa Marriott Manager. I was then informed that based on the valet company's investigation, he could do absolutely nothing for us and please accept his apologies. Being subject to theft was bad enough, but the lack of concern, follow-up, and refusal of any sort of reimbursement for the stolen goods is UNFORGIVABLE!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank mgoodm
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We enjoyed our 3-night stay at the Tampa Waterside Marriott.

THE GOOD: We were very impressed by the friendliness and courtesy of the entire staff at all times. They have been very well trained....the front desk staff, concierge, bellmen, housekeepers, valet parkers, dining room. It was very refreshing.

The hotel is beautiful and in excellent condition. Everything looked new. The bed was extremely comfortable. The location of the hotel by the water is wonderful. We had a great view from our balcony on the 21st floor.

The newspaper was delivered to our room every morning. Coffee maker, refrigerator, blow dryer, ironing board in the room. Nice fitness center.

THE NOT SO GOOD: Valet parking is $20 a night. Breakfast is VERY expensive. Even something very simple could run $15 per person...most items were higher. There are no convenient alternatives for breakfast in the neighborhood. So either you pay the prices, or drive somewhere else.

Internet service in the room is $15 per day.

Note to management: In the bathroom, you could use a towel rack on the wall next to the sink. There was no place near the sink for wet hand towels. Also....what about a magnifying mirror in the bathroom? (Lots of hotels have those these days.)

For someone in a position to pay the charges, it was a very nice hotel....mostly because of the wonderful staff and the excellent condition of the property.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pacosmom
Reviewed December 20, 2009

This hotel is really beautiful and the view is worth paying for the balcony rooms. The "rooftop" top (really not on the very top of the hotel, but several floors up, was pretty and provided another great view. We wished there had been more dining choices, although the breakfast included in our stay (at the Waterside Cafe) was very nice and saved us money. The staff was cordial, but not friendly. We felt that overall the hotel was more concerned with the large groups staying there instead of individual guests, but overall the stay was nice. Was a little put out that we HAD to use the valet parking, which was $20 a night plus tax, and the Internet was not free. I can go to a Motel 6 nowadays and get free internet!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank theconstantwanderer
Reviewed November 5, 2009

We stayed here one night on October 17th, prior to going on a cruise. This is my second stay here. The hotel is a $25.00 taxi ride from the airport and near lots of restaurants and attractiions. The cruise ship is less than two blocks away and when we left the hotel we actually walked to the Carnival boat along a lovely waterside path in about 10 minutes. The trolley stops right in front of the hotel and for $5.00 it will take you to Channelside and Ybor Square. Channelside has lots of dining choices as does Ybor.
Check in was fast and easy. No porters in sight and I was tired of tipping everyone anyway. Valet parking, not sure how much. Our room was on the 21st floor overlooking the marina. It was a beautiful view and we even saw the cruise ship dock in the morning. The beds were oh so comfortable and inviting. Nice big flat 37 inch tv too. There's even a catalog in the room if ever you decide to order the same kind of bed for your home. Bathroom was clean and had plenty of counterspace.
We had breakfast in the hotels restaurant the next morning. While the price was steep at $17.00 a person for the buffet, it was good and filing. We stayed for pleasure so I can't comment on the business parts of the hotel. We went to the bar attached to the hotel for some beers and found the employees friendly and helpful.
If your doing a cruise out of Tampa or just want a nice hotel downtown then the Mariott Waterside is a great choice.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Aerowing
Reviewed October 29, 2009

After reading some of the Trip Advisor reviews on this hotel I was a bit perplexed - the group that booked this for a conference said it was a fantastic hotel and "a bit expensive" compared to what we usually pay (about $200.). Actually it was quite a bit less than that (although the hotel refused to give me the third night (Sunday) at the group rate since they said that technically the group would be finished by Sunday afternoon - I have never had a hotel do that). It was however a very nice hotel. No, there wasn't a robe in the room, or a safe in the closet, or a shower cap, sewing kit or shoe shine cloth...just three little bottles of basic amenities, and paper cups for the coffee machine, no nice mugs. I guess that's why it's a three-and-a-half-star hotel instead of four. And to be honest there was a really weird musty smell when I went in the room - I was surprised. I remembered that some Trip Advisor reviews had said that...it went away by the time I returned that night, returned the next day after cleaning and then disappeared forever. So I am not sure what caused it. But those are all the negatives I can come up with.

When I booked the room months ago they asked if I had any special requests. I said, umm, yeah, put me on the highest floor possible. I've asked for rooms with views etc. before and end up usually looking over an air shaft and have to be moved. But I was directed, upon arriving, to the 27th of 27 floors. I had a spectacular view of the marina and channels and outward to the Gulf and, on the horizon, St. Petersburg. At night I left the curtains open and could sit up in bed and gaze out at the lights twinkling in a line to that lovely place where the sky meets the sea. Speaking of night, the bed was probably the most comfortable I've ever experienced in any hotel despite the "heavenly beds" and all the other beds touted by other chains I've stayed at. I actually fell asleep when I didn't want to just lying there trying to watch t.v. And, unlike in most hotels, I didn't keep waking up during the night...I firmly believe it was the bed.

I ate in the Champions bar in the hotel the first afternoon - it was okay; certainly not expensive. Had grouper sandwich and fries; fries were good; sandwich okay (I'd never had grouper - very mild I'd say; don't know if it's supposed to be that mild or not, so can't judge it). Service was good. I also had a pearl scrub at the spa the next day and then used the sauna. Very nice. Used the whirlpool the next evening - pool not heated and it was breezy so too cool to use it, but whirlpool was warm enough, and nobody was around - nice and calming.

The biggest complaint I have is not with the hotel per se but with the caterers there who gave our group the same exact oversized piece of key lime pie-cake-something-or-other for lunch AND dinner on Saturday. Don't know how that would happen. Also, chicken for lunch was delicious, moist and flavorful, especially for "banquet chicken breast". But dinner's filet mignon was, while tender, overcooked and dry - they didn't even ask how we wanted it cooked. A fellow diner said grouper was also dry. At any rate, the banquet chefs could thus use a little finesse. But as far as restaurants in the hotel, they seem better.

Oh - one other caveat. The second night I was disturbed by thumping and pounding, and, at times, vibrating windows. I couldn't figure out where such noise would come from. I ended up having to call down to the desk and was told that it was from across the water on Harbor Island and that it goes until 3 AM. The staffer told me that I should have been told that when I checked in and that she would gladly move me. It was after one a.m. and I was in bed and did not want to bother with that - she said that she was sending security to see if they could just turn down the bass. Evidently certain rooms get it worse because of the water, she said. In the end I fell asleep despite the noise - a feat I credit entirely to that miraculous bed.

As far as it "not being near anything" as some reviewers said, it is walking distance (a short walking distance) from the Tampa History Center and the Aquarium and Channelside Plaza, not great, but there are a few interesting shops and a couple non-chain, fairly intriguing restaurants. As someone else stated, across the street from the hotel is the trolley. For $5.00 you get unlimited rides for a day and can thus go to a few other places (although the only one I guess people go to is Ybor City - and unless you want a tattoo or tobacco, that's not what I'd call a priority - I found its "eccentric" shops creepy (the only word I can think of describe them) and there was really nothing there except a few places to eat. It's an urban reclaim that isn't gentrified, isn't Disneyfied, but isn't really -fied. Appears to be decaying, but not even in a glamourous sinister way a la Venice...just kind of sad.

Still, location of hotel is good...river walk is there, history center is very interesting. Downtown Tampa is within walking distance but there doesn't appear to be anything there; so I really don't know where someone would consider a location in Tampa that did have lots to do near it. I would rather be here, take the trolley, stroll to Channelside, and look out over the water.

I also tried room service for breakfast the last day - had the signature grilled french toast with cornflake breading (?!) a low-fat, low-cholesterol dish. It was okay. Service was prompt and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business