“Nice for business”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice for business”
Reviewed October 29, 2008

Stayed here for a couple nights for a conference being held here. Nice new, clean facilities, a rather over-the-top lobby, nice location on the inter-coastal waterway. Our room was really nice, had plug-in cable internet for $10 for our entire stay (3 days/2 nights)--was some kind of special. There was also free wireless throughout the common spaces in the hotel that was extremely useful.

The concierge kept trying to convince us to go to reeeeeally upscale restaurants for dinner, which I suppose is her job, but she wasn't very helpful in helping us find something closer to our price range.

It was rainy while we were there, but the pool is on the 3rd floor roof and looked nice (if small). The gym was very nice. Decent number of cardio machines, TVs and plug-in audio on the machines themselves, and plug-ins for ipods on the machines.

Really no complaints about this hotel except that there's not much nearby to do (more Tampa's fault than the hotel's). There's a tapas restaurant about a 10 minute walk away that is NOT particularly good. Don't recommend that.

• Liked — Free wireless internet
  • Disliked — Nothing to do in the surrounding areas
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Turkish first
Greensboro, Maryland
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I was in Tampa for a convention and Marriott Tampa Waterside was conveniently located next to the convention center. Also, the trolley station leading to Ybor is directly across the street.

Free wifi in lobby, still have to pay in the rooms. Luckily, lobby had plenty of comfortable seating, nice lobby bar.

Rooms were average chain hotel style - nothing to write about. Forgot my razor and hotel staff quickly got me a complimentary disposable and small can of shaving cream.

Business center has printer that you can use at no cost.

Lobby has a computer next to the check-in desk to print boarding passes -- that was a nice convenience. Elevators seemed quick even during busy hours.

My view was of a parking lot. I thought it would have been nicer overlooking the water. But, a fellow convention goer informed me that the bar across the water had very loud music on until 3 a.m. both Friday & Saturday nights. Apparently, the hotel has tried everything to get the situation changed --- brought in decibel meters and found that the readings in the room were exactly 1 decibel less than the limit.

So, my colleagues got a great view and no sleep --- I got sleep and a boring view.

• Liked — Nice lobby.
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2008

Nice well appointed hotel.

Little on the big side though, felt like a marble rattling about.

I imagine during a conference this would be a great hotel

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 21, 2008

This was a great stay. You couldn't beat the view and the room was nice and comfortable.

What I liked: Comfy bed, great view, yummy food and good food service, friendly front desk people...

My only negatives: For some reason, the door handle in the bathroom was positioned in such a way that I ended up hitting my head on it pretty hard.

Also, the last full day of my trip, I called to housekeeping and requested no service for the day, and I also put a "Privacy Please" tag in my door. When I returned six hours later, my room had been serviced and it gave me a scare given that I had left my laptop there (lesson learned!) Nothing was missing, though, so that all ended OK. The room also had a safe, so I had thankfully put my credit cards and keys in there...

The customer service people on the phone were great and all in all, I had a delightful stay!

• Liked — The rooms, view
  • Disliked — Housekeeping cleaning after I had requested no service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I'm a frequent business traveler and I end up in Tampa often for work. I've tried a few other hotels in the city, but I am sold on the Marriott Waterside. The lobby was beautiful. The room was large and immaculately clean. The view of the bay from the 16th floor was incredible. Great staff. Very friendly and helpful. The food at Champions was pretty good and it was busy the few times I went there. The location is very convenient to downtown. Easy to walk around from, plus a taxi stand is right across the street. I will definitely stay there again

• Liked — the view
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Jacksonville
Reviewed August 1, 2008

I stayed at the Tampa Marriott Waterside from July 28-July 31 while preparing for the FL bar exam. This review will discuss location, rooms, dining, and extras.

Location
I chose the hotel because of its close proximity to the Tampa Convention Center. We spent the majority of our stay at the hotel and the convention center. The hotel is in a very nice neighborhood and I felt safe on the premises. The hotel is on the channel and the waterfront view is magnificent. There isn't much of a nightlife around the immediate area, but I hear there is an area nearby called Channelside with upscale shops, restaurants, etc.

Room
The room was average sized and relatively clean. Not the most stylist room, but very comfortable. The bed was plush and luxurious. My only concern regarding the bed was that the sheets would come off easily. The room had a balcony with a small table and two chairs. The bathroom was large and clean; however, I prefer hotel bathrooms with a sink separate from the toilet, tub and shower. The room had a safe and refrigerator; but no microwave.

Dining
The hotel knew the exam takers were stressed out and provided us with many perks. Upon check-in, we received a room service menu with breakfast and lunch items specifically for the exam takers. The hotel has three restaurants, Starbucks, and a lobby bar. We ate at the Waterside Cafe for breakfast and lunch daily, Champions twice and ordered room service several times. The food was very tasty and reasonably priced. Room service was quick and readily available. Unfortunately, I didn't dine at the more upscale restaurant in the lobby.

Extras
The lobby is huge with ample seating and wireless. There's a spa, concierge and other four star hotel amenities. The hotel even provides their guests with a computer and printing station to print your flight boarding pass...WOW!

Overall, this hotel was convenient and everything I needed and wanted was at my fingertips. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Dining/Room Service options
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank southernlaw
San Mateo, California
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I stayed here one night for a conference across the street at the Convention Center. The location was convenient. The lobby is lovely, and the bar in the lobby was nice - busy but not too loud.

My room was typical Marriott. However, it was not as clean as I expect from this chain. The sheets had grey marks on them, like stains, as if a piece of charcoal had gone through the laundry with the sheets. The bathroom was clean enough, but there was a bit of hair stuck in the drain.

Next time I'd try the Embassy Suites or Westin.

• Stayed July 2008