“Nice place!”

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #16 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 21, 2008

This was a great stay. You couldn't beat the view and the room was nice and comfortable.

What I liked: Comfy bed, great view, yummy food and good food service, friendly front desk people...

My only negatives: For some reason, the door handle in the bathroom was positioned in such a way that I ended up hitting my head on it pretty hard.

Also, the last full day of my trip, I called to housekeeping and requested no service for the day, and I also put a "Privacy Please" tag in my door. When I returned six hours later, my room had been serviced and it gave me a scare given that I had left my laptop there (lesson learned!) Nothing was missing, though, so that all ended OK. The room also had a safe, so I had thankfully put my credit cards and keys in there...

The customer service people on the phone were great and all in all, I had a delightful stay!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed August 19, 2008

I'm a frequent business traveler and I end up in Tampa often for work. I've tried a few other hotels in the city, but I am sold on the Marriott Waterside. The lobby was beautiful. The room was large and immaculately clean. The view of the bay from the 16th floor was incredible. Great staff. Very friendly and helpful. The food at Champions was pretty good and it was busy the few times I went there. The location is very convenient to downtown. Easy to walk around from, plus a taxi stand is right across the street. I will definitely stay there again

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2008

I stayed at the Tampa Marriott Waterside from July 28-July 31 while preparing for the FL bar exam. This review will discuss location, rooms, dining, and extras.

Location
I chose the hotel because of its close proximity to the Tampa Convention Center. We spent the majority of our stay at the hotel and the convention center. The hotel is in a very nice neighborhood and I felt safe on the premises. The hotel is on the channel and the waterfront view is magnificent. There isn't much of a nightlife around the immediate area, but I hear there is an area nearby called Channelside with upscale shops, restaurants, etc.

Room
The room was average sized and relatively clean. Not the most stylist room, but very comfortable. The bed was plush and luxurious. My only concern regarding the bed was that the sheets would come off easily. The room had a balcony with a small table and two chairs. The bathroom was large and clean; however, I prefer hotel bathrooms with a sink separate from the toilet, tub and shower. The room had a safe and refrigerator; but no microwave.

Dining
The hotel knew the exam takers were stressed out and provided us with many perks. Upon check-in, we received a room service menu with breakfast and lunch items specifically for the exam takers. The hotel has three restaurants, Starbucks, and a lobby bar. We ate at the Waterside Cafe for breakfast and lunch daily, Champions twice and ordered room service several times. The food was very tasty and reasonably priced. Room service was quick and readily available. Unfortunately, I didn't dine at the more upscale restaurant in the lobby.

Extras
The lobby is huge with ample seating and wireless. There's a spa, concierge and other four star hotel amenities. The hotel even provides their guests with a computer and printing station to print your flight boarding pass...WOW!

Overall, this hotel was convenient and everything I needed and wanted was at my fingertips. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank southernlaw
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I stayed here one night for a conference across the street at the Convention Center. The location was convenient. The lobby is lovely, and the bar in the lobby was nice - busy but not too loud.

My room was typical Marriott. However, it was not as clean as I expect from this chain. The sheets had grey marks on them, like stains, as if a piece of charcoal had gone through the laundry with the sheets. The bathroom was clean enough, but there was a bit of hair stuck in the drain.

Next time I'd try the Embassy Suites or Westin.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank JoKnits
Reviewed July 18, 2008

We stayed here because of its proximity to the St. Pete Times Forum (for a concert). The location was great, we were able to walk to the concert. The lobby is very pretty, the breakfast buffet was good and the food at the sports bar was good too. The rooms are pretty basic (nothing in the mini bar), but clean and perfectly adequate. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Was here for a convention and it is a typical, nice Marriott property with excellent views. Lots of dining close in the Channelside area along with the Port and the Florida Aquarium. Staff was really nice, especially Joyce, the housekeeper on 18th floor (I don't think I have ever been able to say anything special about a housekeeper before).

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2008

They advertise sleep but you may not get any.

PLEASE ask this hotel whether they have large conferences going on before you make your reservation. I have stayed at many Marriotts and this was by far the most miserable experience I have ever had.

By reserving over 600 rooms for members of a recovering narcotics group, the Marriott essentially handed over control of the hotel to this group. Fairly late in the evening when you would normally see people talking quietly in the hotel lobby here are a few of the things that I saw:
-a man blowing bubbles in the lobby
-a man drinking a gallon of chocolate milk he made himself
-people making sandwhiches
-tons of mcdonalds and pizzas being ordered
-people laying on the couches with their socks on

At the pool there were hundreds of people that weren't even staying at the hotel. There was no place to sit, cigarette smoke everywhere, and I was told that there were no more towels. Here I was a paying guest and was given no towel for the pool.

I am not blaming the individuals at the conference but rather the hotel for letting any large group get out of hand. Many of the people attending the conference were not staying at the hotel but were sleeping in nearby cars and hanging out in the lobby all night. These people were using blow horns, screaming, and were congregated on an outside patio until 4 or 5 in the morning.

Everyone in the hotel was calling security and security admitted that they had lost control of the hotel and could not control these people. One of the staff members told me these people were within their rights to make as much noise as they wanted to.
In the end, the manager compensated us for our stay but I still was only able to get 2 hours of sleep. I felt so bad for new hotel guests that were checking in as I was leaving--they had NO idea what kind of Marriott experience they were in for.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple