“Unbelievable”

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #16 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 7, 2013

First of all I want to say that I have stayed at this hotel many, many times and have not had issues, however I stayed there last week and it was horrible. I understand that the hotel was full because of the Bon Jovi concert however if they don't have the staff available to take care of a full house then they shouldn't take the reservations. First off they had the bar closed in the restaurant..actually took away all of the chairs so you couldn't even have a drink there. If you wanted to get any service it was nearly impossible. I called numerous times from the phone in the room and counted 100 rings and was calling their other number at the same time and they were both ringing and no answer. No exageration. When we called valet the next day to get our car again the phone rang and rang and then when I called back it was a recording and then when I finally got hold of someone I was told that they were not taking calls for valet that you had to go downstairs because they were busy. Unbelievable! When we got downstairs there were at least 30 people waiting for their cars and they were not happy. I don't blame them one bit. It was horrible. So if you go to this hotel make sure there is not a function going on because they can not handle it and will not afford you the same level of customer service. We are also gold members.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank agendagirl34

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I chose this hotel because I had a free night coming to me and had to use it by June. My wife & I were in Tampa to see the Titanic Exhibition at the Mahaffey Theater ( also reviewed) in St. Petersburg. We arrived about 2 :30 PM and got a room on the 21st floor with a balcony overlooking the harbor. The room was nice and the balcony views on that sunny, but cold day were spectacular. The entrance to the Marriott Waterside is impressive...very high atrium with palm trees and an open airy feeling. I called and asked for 2 things: a fridge for my meds and a blanket for the king bed because I always find the comforters too hot for me. Both arrived in MINUTES..I was very impressed with the service right away. Room itself was nothing special, but we loved the spacious feeling we had in the hotel itself.

There 's a HUGE sports bar called Champions, which is a Marriott trademark bar on your left whe you walk in. It is enormous with about 3-4 HUGE HD screens and 30-40 small screens to watch sports. After a long day, my wife went up to chill & watch TV, while I went and watched the Penguins-Canadiens hockey game. It was great...they had about 10 good draft beers PLUS the Pens won in OT. Bed was comfy & A/C worked well, shower OK, though can't give it an "A" because I'm partial to hand-held showers and ONCE again here in the U.S., not as common as in Europe...We had breakfast at Starbuck's and I also want to mention there's a nice bar towards the back of the atrium also with some drafts. We watched the RCI Jewel Of The Seas cruise out of port at 4:30 on Sat and also we saw the Carnival Legend come into port Sun morning. We had a great view of the harbor as I mentioned. Parking was $22, but a tad slow. We would ( and probably will) stay here again easily. Concierge people all very nice.
Finally we liked the location near Channelside, also known as Riverwalk, where there are alot of bars & restaurants. Wehen we were there Sat., there was a pirate festival celebrating a famous pirate ship ( can't remember name now) and there must've been 100-150 people dressed as pirates converging around the bar areas. Quite a sight with music blasting and pirates singing & dancing...a fun 20 hours...

Room Tip: If you want a view of the harbor ask for a room with a balcony,,we were in # 2123
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Marriott Waterside is a beautiful Hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It is next door to the Forum, Channel Side and all so to the Aquarium. There view of the water and the city skyline are very nice.The room was very clean and had comfortable bed. There are Three restaurants in the Marriott so you don't have to look very far for some where to eat.
There is valet parking and self parking. Self park over night is more then valet parking. Here is where it gets difficult. When there is something going on at the forum which is always, it is very hard to get your car because they share the parking garage with the forum. It took us 45 mins the first night to get our car. Next day, we asked how long would it take to get our car they told us maybe 10 mins and it ended up being 35 mins. This was very upsetting because we where trying to get to a wedding. We did go to the front desk for help and they where very sorry for what happened and credited the parking for the two days. So, my suggestion is call way ahead to get your car if there is something going on at the forum or take a taxi and not move your car at all!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel close to downtown. Newer hotel but the service sets it apart and makes it top notch. Make sure to ask for a room with a bay view. The gym is great do not forget your headphones as most machines have tv's

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a perfect location with the trolley right outside and the riverwalk right there.. the only downfall with this location is there is not a parking lot close by so you have to pay for a valet to park your car. Our room was clean but small. We asked for an extra blanket which took 50 minutes to get. The hotel is also very loud making it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just what I wanted, a lovely 3 day stay at The Waterside Marriott over Memorial Weekend. Clean room, great view, great customer service, yummy breakfast, nice rooftop pool and the pina coladas weren't too bad either. I will be back..

Room Tip: If you like a nice view, the higher the better and facing the Bay and Ocean
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for your recent posting and for your positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you in the future, perhaps this Memorial Day!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has a great downtown Tampa location. It is close to the Forum, the Aquarium, Cruise Port, and other downtown attractions. I live in Sarasota so I was not really that excited to stay here but I was truly surprised by the views of the water and was able to enjoy the Riverwalk for a stroll. Bedding was comfortable and the hotel has a nice mix of sports bar, Starbuck's counter, and fancy restaurant. It was very busy so parking was the main drawback as the front entrance provided little in the way of easy in/out access. Taxis were quick to arrive as they line up across the street and if you are using the valet they are relatively efficient given the crowding. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay waterside.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor. We really appreciated your positive remarks and much like yourself I enjoy walking on the river walk as well. We look forward to your return.