“Weekend Getaway”

GreenLeadersBronze level
florida
“Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has a great downtown Tampa location. It is close to the Forum, the Aquarium, Cruise Port, and other downtown attractions. I live in Sarasota so I was not really that excited to stay here but I was truly surprised by the views of the water and was able to enjoy the Riverwalk for a stroll. Bedding was comfortable and the hotel has a nice mix of sports bar, Starbuck's counter, and fancy restaurant. It was very busy so parking was the main drawback as the front entrance provided little in the way of easy in/out access. Taxis were quick to arrive as they line up across the street and if you are using the valet they are relatively efficient given the crowding. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay waterside.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor. We really appreciated your positive remarks and much like yourself I enjoy walking on the river walk as well. We look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Turkish first
Apopka, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great location, nice view, fuzzy tv, great housekeeping, terrible Italian Restaurant, constantly crowded elevators. It was almost as if only 2 of the 6 elevators were working at a time. Rooms were ok, bathroom was dated.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the water.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel for what you experienced with our elevators and while dining in our Italian Restaurant. I would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your stay, please contact me at bill.heitzig@marriott.com. We appreciate your business and this opportunity to improve on the overall experience we offer our guests.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I think that this hotel lives up to Marriott standards. It was clean and modern and had a great view of Tampa. There was plenty to do within walking distance. Or you could take the trolley to Ybor City. It is a great place to be on a weekend night. there is a lot going on and great for boat or people watching.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy P
Thank you for your recent posting and for your positive comments. We look forward to one day serving you again.
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

After reading scathing negative reviews of this property, I was leary of what I'd encounter during a work related trip to Tampa this winter. I am very happy to report that not only were the rooms spotless and the staff well prepared and helpful, the views were amazing and the location was great. I was eating on a special nutrition plan during the trip which was challenging to say the least. The conference services staff was amazing and so sweet to accomodate my needs for breakfasts and lunch. I am so thankful. The valet staff was also quick and helpful whenever we needed our vehicle. I spent the evenings out by the pool reading and it was relaxing after a full day of classes and work related stuff. The location was excellent, lending itself well to afternoon or lunch time walks, exploration of the waterfront (with the many high end yachts and boats), and close to shopping and groceries. I would recommend definitely for business travellers or others if the event is in the hotel itself. If you are looking for closer beach proximity, I would recommend something further to the west or at the beach itself as the drive was about an hour in traffic.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate your recent stay. We were very pleased to read your feedback. The banquet team was excited to hear that they were mentioned and housekeeping appreciated your comment referencing our “spotless rooms.” Thank you for your feedback.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just finished a 3-day stay at the Waterside Marriott for the Gasparilla 15K, 5K and Half-Marathon Race Weekend - and I could not have picked a more perfect hotel. From the location, to the staff, to the accomodations - - - all were perfect.

STAFF: Ricardo "Mo" Arce at the front desk - at check-in (and actually the day prior) went above-and-beyond. I had a couple of special requests that I provided, and Mo was more than willing to accomodate my requests - started off the visit on the right foot. Jasmine at the front desk was very helpful with my annoying "mircowave soup" requests (there are no microwaves in the rooms, but the front desk will assist.....I felt bad for having her microwave my soup - but, she did it without question). All the other staff (housekeeping, security, dining and bar) were very polite at every encounter.

MANAGEMENT: The City of Tampa had a "boil water" requirement in effect for most of our stay, and the management stepped up right away and made all the in-room bottled water complimentary (and then provided more bottles the next morning). Great proactive management decision.

ROOM: We were in Room 2001, corner room, with a balcony - facing the water. View was amazing - patio was very enjoyable - and double bed was comfortable (but, the sheets were a bit itchy-scratchy - maybe it was the soap). Tons of pillows on the bed; bathroom was very nice (with Bath-n-Body works amenities) - and water pressure was very good (enjoyed that strong water pressure after the races).

INTERNET: Yep, it's pricy - but, due to my elite status, it was comp. For those that complain about interent fees, most big city, downtown located hotels still charge for internet - unless you are a rewards member....so, join the elite program, stay the nights required each year, and reap the benefits. For those not desiring to pay - the lobby has many work areas, and free internet.

DINING: Did not eat at either of the venues - but, the menus were very extensive, and the food looked good (passed thru the breakfast seating). There are not many places to eat right near the hotel (see my comment below regarding local area). Food was very expensive (but, it is like that at big city hotels). No free breakfast.

PARKING: OK - parking is a NEGATIVE at this property - BUT, I have a easy work-around. DO NOT pull your car up to the front of the property (it is a very compact loading/unloading area, and is easily congested). Pull into the City of Tampa South Regional Garage which is directly in front of the hotel (north of the hotel...before the trolley tracks). If you are lucky, like I was, there will be an event going on the day that you check-in (there was, and I paid $5.00 to park in the garage). Then, when you leave on Sunday (or whatever day you check out on), if you leave before 11am, there is no attendent normally, and the gates are UP, and you just drive out!! We paid $5.00 (yes, F-I-V-E dollars) for 3x days of parking (FRI, SAT and SUN). The complaints/negative comments about the valet service are warranted (even though we did not park, we witnessed long ques waiting for their cars, and the valets are just like all valets---all they want are tips (no tip is ever "enough") and they drive your car like mad-men (that we witnessed....since the Marriott valet park the cars in the same garage that I paid $5.00 for 3 days). The walk from the garage to the hotel is *easy* (and we had luggage). Even if there are no special events scheduled (and you don't get the $5.00 rate), the DAILY RATE for that garage is only $10/day max - - so, you still save $12/day by using the garage.

LOCAL AREA: The trolley is literally right outside the front door of the hotel and takes you to the Historic Area of YBor (where there is plenty to eat and drink). We did NOT drive the entire weekend stay - - rode the trolley.

Overall, I would DEFINATELY stay here again. Price was perfect, hotel was perfect....and just an enjoyable weekend.

Room Tip: Waterfront, corner rooms with balcony are the best. Not all rooms have a balcony, but there are pl...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MARATHON-MCPO-USN
Thank you for your recent posting and for your kind words about our hotel. I personally shared your comments with Jasmine and Mo; they were pleased to see the feedback. I would like to apologize for what you witnessed with our valet and reassure you that I have shared this feedback with them. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night this past weekend. It is a beautiful hotel. Attentive hotel and nicely located to the Tampa Bay Times Forum. I had a room on the 18th floor overlooking the marina. It was a beautiful view and the room was comfortable for 3 adults. The only minus I would give the room was the bathroom. The door hinges were rusted and the shower rod was barely hanging on to the tile. It did not bother me at all but thought out of all the nice things, that was the one thing that did not look well but that would not stop me from staying here or recommending this hotel to anyone in the future.

Room Tip: booked online through Marriott.com and used my AAA rate and received an affordable rate. I was able...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent posting. I would like to apologize for the condition of bathroom. I have shared this feedback with our engineering department so that moving forward they will look more closely at the details. We were pleased that you enjoyed yourself and would consider one day returning.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel is one of many hotels clustered around the Tampa Convention Center, and the Tampa Bay Times Forum. It is located on the water, so outside/waterside dining and water view rooms are available. All in all, a very nice setting.

My best guess is that this is an older property, that has been renovated in the past 10 years. Everything is up to modern standards, but the design is not modern.

The staff all were excellent, from arrival, check-in, Concierge Lounge, restaurant, to check-out.

The rooms are standard Marriott. Nothing special, but certainly nothing to complain about.

There are at least three on-sight restaurants. The Waterside Grill does not impress when you first enter it, but there is outside (waterside) dining, and the menu was much better than I expected. There are daily specials, in addition to a standard menu, and the selections on both were interesting, not routine.

There's a lobby bar, and it, too, has outside/waterside seating.

The fitness center is barely acceptable. It is on the small side for what is clearly a convention hotel. Arrive early, and expect to feel cramped as others trickle in. The outdoor pool is more sizable, and there is an on-sight Spa.

The concierge lounge is excellent. The breakfast selections were tasty and numerous. The staff person was attentive, and kept everything picked-up and clean as guests came and went. The view is nice, as well.

In summary, this is a typical Marriott hotel with a nice location. It certainly caters to event and convention business, there were cruise and reunion groups being hosted during my stay. All of the usual services and amenities are provided, and the only downside is that the fitness center is too cramped. This one shortcoming will not be enough to keep me from returning to this property the next time I am in Tampa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AtlantaRes
Thank you for your recent posting and for mentioning the excellent service you received. We appreciated your feedback regarding the fitness center and are considering increasing the size in the future. We look forward to one day serving you again.