“beautiful hotel and nicely located...”

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #19 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gainesville, Florida
“beautiful hotel and nicely located...”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night this past weekend. It is a beautiful hotel. Attentive hotel and nicely located to the Tampa Bay Times Forum. I had a room on the 18th floor overlooking the marina. It was a beautiful view and the room was comfortable for 3 adults. The only minus I would give the room was the bathroom. The door hinges were rusted and the shower rod was barely hanging on to the tile. It did not bother me at all but thought out of all the nice things, that was the one thing that did not look well but that would not stop me from staying here or recommending this hotel to anyone in the future.

Room Tip: booked online through Marriott.com and used my AAA rate and received an affordable rate. I was able...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent posting. I would like to apologize for the condition of bathroom. I have shared this feedback with our engineering department so that moving forward they will look more closely at the details. We were pleased that you enjoyed yourself and would consider one day returning.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel is one of many hotels clustered around the Tampa Convention Center, and the Tampa Bay Times Forum. It is located on the water, so outside/waterside dining and water view rooms are available. All in all, a very nice setting.

My best guess is that this is an older property, that has been renovated in the past 10 years. Everything is up to modern standards, but the design is not modern.

The staff all were excellent, from arrival, check-in, Concierge Lounge, restaurant, to check-out.

The rooms are standard Marriott. Nothing special, but certainly nothing to complain about.

There are at least three on-sight restaurants. The Waterside Grill does not impress when you first enter it, but there is outside (waterside) dining, and the menu was much better than I expected. There are daily specials, in addition to a standard menu, and the selections on both were interesting, not routine.

There's a lobby bar, and it, too, has outside/waterside seating.

The fitness center is barely acceptable. It is on the small side for what is clearly a convention hotel. Arrive early, and expect to feel cramped as others trickle in. The outdoor pool is more sizable, and there is an on-sight Spa.

The concierge lounge is excellent. The breakfast selections were tasty and numerous. The staff person was attentive, and kept everything picked-up and clean as guests came and went. The view is nice, as well.

In summary, this is a typical Marriott hotel with a nice location. It certainly caters to event and convention business, there were cruise and reunion groups being hosted during my stay. All of the usual services and amenities are provided, and the only downside is that the fitness center is too cramped. This one shortcoming will not be enough to keep me from returning to this property the next time I am in Tampa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AtlantaRes
Thank you for your recent posting and for mentioning the excellent service you received. We appreciated your feedback regarding the fitness center and are considering increasing the size in the future. We look forward to one day serving you again.
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The lobby of this hotel is excellent and so is its location, the rooms are nice. The first room they put us in had a view of a roof complete with an old ladder and cinderblock! they soon moved us. Very clean, very well appointed, clean bathrooms (public and in the room), no free wifi in rooms, bit disappointing. Breakfast was a treat, fabulous service and great food! didn't try dinner or other restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit. The housekeeping team always enjoys when guests comment on how clean the property is. I was sorry to learn that the view from your first room was unacceptable but pleased to see that we were able to correct your concerns. Should your travels bring you to the Tampa Marriott Waterside in the future please know that we offer complimentary wifi in the lobby. Thank you for your feedback.
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel, while grand upon entrance, is deceiving to the travelers eye. While the location is bar none beyond excellent for hockey fans (the Tampa Times Forum is literally across the street) the Spa like feeling they advertise throughout the hotel is not achieved unless I'm sure you were literally in the Spa. While a spa is a great add on to any good hotel sometimes travelers are there for very specific reasons. On my trip to Tampa I was there to see my home town team, the Boston Bruins, play against the Tampa Bay Lightning AND so were many, many other travelers staying at the Tampa Marriot Waterside. For me, that was great news, I would be in very good company with many fellow Bruins fans beside me but for casual travelers looking for that "Spa" like hotel not so much. The hotel is very beautiful, extremely clean and has several different eating options inside the hotel-from Sports Bar to up scale Italian fare.
My room was nice, very clean but didn't have a mini bar (which for some reason seemed odd to me but after thinking a bit on it I realized that there were several areas within the hotel to find alocoholic beverages and soft drinks and snacks if one wanted any). The room was small but adequate for a lone traveler but may feel cramped with two people. The king size bed was beautifully appointed and I was glad too see many, many pillows atop the bed. The bathroom too was clean and well equipped with bare hotel necessities but I bring my own bath items so this was no consequence for me. My room came with a large balcony that overlooked the city. The view of the city was spectacular once I climbed on the fence that separated the balcony and the roof and was able to get a glimpse of the Forum directly to the left of my room sliding door. The hotel has large outdoor lighting and if you are on the 4th floor (which I DO NOT recommend as that's where I was - stay floor 6 or higher and city view is just as beautiful as the ocean - really- so if you're up high enough you can't miss) you will want to take full advantage of the blackout curtains in order to make sure you don't lose sleep due to the blinding lighting (although it does look gorgeous from afar). I found the hallways very noisy even deep into the night. My room had a connecting door to the room next door and the door might as well have been open as I heard every sniffle, snore, tv, & the alarm the next morning. That all being said I enjoyed my stay because of the festive nature of the hotel entry - which is more of a gathering spot than anything else. It felt like a grand huge room full of friends and there was a buzz in the air that I enjoyed being around. The many bars in the hotel from the high energy Sports themed to an on the water front quiet chilled out bar gives everyone what they were looking for. While I'd choose a different hotel for my next Tampa stay I wouldn't discourage anyone from booking here as long as they know what they're getting into. Last notes: My price for one night in a King/Non smoking/balcony room was $49 plus FL tax and that doesn't include the parking charge...steep for what you get. If you are bringing a vehicle whether your own or a rental the Parking Fee is $22.00 per evening and there is a charge for WIFI if you want to connect in your room, it is free in public areas (what hotel doesn't include WIFI these days?). Also, this hotel does not seem like it's a good fit for families.

Room Tip: Stay above the 6th floor to get the best views and if you can afford it get a suite or a room near t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

For the first time in a long time,my wife joined me on a business trip. The hotel is beautifully situated right on the water and along the Riverwalk. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and their concierge, Robin, is incredible. The fitness room is more than adequate and the pool area is pretty large for a city hotel. The room size is nice and the water view from the 26th floor was gorgeous. As a Marriott Platinum member, this is one of the nicer properties around.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bill H, Residnt Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for recent posting and for your kind words about our hotel. Robin, our concierge, was excited to hear that you took the time to mention her in the review. Thank you for your continued loyalty to Marriott.
Newburgh, Indiana
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is lovely and service was wonderful! Loved the balcony on our room. Jackson's was within walking distance and I highly recommend it! Excellent staff, very accommodating! Housekeeping was among the best I have experienced!

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your posting and for commenting on how wonderful the service was. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
georgia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I accompanied my husband to Tampa this past weekend for a business conference. I wasn't exactly excited as I imagined myself either tagging along to meetings plagued by boredom or spending a good bit of "quality me time" which could equate to a little loneliness.
The conference group had set aside a block of rooms for first time attendees. Assuming these to be the standard plain jane hotel rooms, my husband told me we could simply pay our way and book one of the nicer rooms that had a balcony overlooking the river canal of which the hotel borders. A week before we left, I doubled checked with the hotel making certain we had the "nicer" room of which they assured me that all was scheduled as I had requested. Well upon check-in we were placed in one of the standard block of conference booked rooms. When I explained how we had opted to book our own room separate from the conference, they had no record of our booking (and naturally I had left our paper work at home). I can't say that I totally blame the hotel for the mix up as I think the conference organizers overrode our desire as they wanted to pay for our stay---so I can't complain too much but I was rather disappointed.
The hotel sits adjacent to the Tampa Convention center as well as the Tampa Forum. The Embassy Suites Hotel is directly across the street. These two hotels worked in tandem for this particular conference as attendees were placed in both hotels which allowed attendees to easily walk to either facility to attend various seminars, banquets as well as easy access to the convention center which housed the bulk of the event. Both hotels were sold out so that meant people everywhere! There was a girls youth soccer conference also staying at both hotels.
Upon arrival late Friday evening we found long lines of cars making their way up to the front drive of the hotel. When we made our way to the door we were greeted by a very busy team of valets. Our car was unloaded and we were ushered inside to check-in accompanied by a bellman who waited with us to help take our luggage up to the room. Check-in (despite my room snafu) was quick and painless despite the overwhelming number of people attempting to check in. The hotel staff seemed well equipped to handle the rush of the crowd. It was even suggested we stop by the concierge desk to make dinner plans, which after a 9 hour drive was a welcomed suggestion (we opted to eat at the hotel's higher end Italian restaurant which was very good).
The Lobby is open and spacious lifting skyward with a light and airy atrium--marble and palm trees abound--a myriad of sitting areas, a large bar and a view of the boats docked along the canal create a wonderful Florida/ tropical feel---despite the chilly February temps.
Our room was indeed a standard king room with a view of the neighboring hotel, the Forum and the Interstate but nicely appointed and clean with very nice white linens on the bed. The bathroom had a granite counter, single sink, toilet and shower/tub.
The hotel houses 700 some odd rooms with 24 floors. There were often long lines at the 6 elevators but everyone seemed to take waiting in stride. The hotel did a marvelous job organizing the flow to the numerous seminars, brunches and meetings. All of the staff were friendly, always speaking to guests and going out of their way to help.
We opted to have breakfast in one of the hotel's 3 restaurants rather than the brunch provided for the conference attendees as we wanted a little quiet time to ourselves. Each morning we had the buffet. The cost is $18 which might seem expensive for breakfast but it is actually the same price if a guest opted to order from the menu. The offerings are extensive---freshly prepared waffles and omelets cooked upon request, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits,potatoes, yogurt, oatmeal, choices of fruit, salamis, cheeses, pastries, cereals, milk, Silk, fruit juices, all accompanied by a pot of coffee and choice of fresh juice.
All in all the weekend was a success despite my initial disappointment. This particular Marriott is a rare find in the heart of a major city. It offers elegance and sophistication with a staff whose main focus seems to be the happiness of their guests. I wouldn't hesitate to book a room here again for a return trip to Tampa, next time for pleasure only :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business