New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #17 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Nice waterside location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Ended up spending two nights at this property because of a bad experience at Marriott Clearwater Sand Key property. We tried three rooms at Marriott Sand Key and they all had very bad odor issues. My husband is a Marriott Elite Rewards member and was upset over the experience. We called Marriott Customer Service and filed a complaint. They then helped us find Marriott Waterside in Tampa. We we're trying to find a property with a nice pool. The customer service agent told us ths property had a nice pool, so we headed to Tampa.

When we arrived my husband checked in with Stacie at the front desk. He told her about the bad experience we had just experienced in Clearwater. She happily upgraded us to a great corner suite with adjoining room. She also gave him extra rewards points for our trouble and went out of her way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. That is how an Elite Rewards member should be treated. She knows the value of keeping those that spend lots of nights per year at Marriott properties happy. Why didn't the manager at Marriott Sand Key get that?

There was one glitch with our stay. The pool that we based the whole reservation on in the first place had been drained due to some issue. We were told we could walk across the street to use the pool at the Embassy Suites. Very inconvenient! It was also a teeny tiny pool that was not exciting at all for our kids. I know the hotel can't help emergency issues, but it apparently happened several days prior to our arrival. The reservations person should have been aware of this and not sold us this property because of its wonderful pool. When emergencies arrive and pools are drained, the website and database should be flagged immediately.

The front desk associates, bell men and valets were all very pleasant.

They were undergoing a lobby renovations, so there was a little mess due to that.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent posting and for your kind words about our property and Stacie. I would like to apologize on behalf of everyone at the hotel for our inability to inform you about the pool closure. Thank you for your feedback and for your continued loyalty to Marriott.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Turkish first
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

This hotel is located right on the water (hence the name). You could boat right up to its docks.
Conveniently located next to the Tampa Bay Times Forum, Harbour Island, Channelside and the Tampa Aquarium.
The biggest drawback to the hotel, which might not matter to some, is the lack of self-parking.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Bonthra
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize on behalf of the Valet Team for not informing you about self-parking options. For future reference please note that there our 2 self-parking locations across the street from the hotel. We appreciate your business and the opportunity to improve on the overall experience we offer.
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

terrible -no food after 11 pm available and they only direct you to pizza joints. drive here from north FL and get lost in the ghetto- yuk Dirty smelling rooms and you Should check for bedbugs- YUK- loud outside- room promised seaside was a roof outside our door. YUK don't be fooled-

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank qtmissa
Thank you for your recent feedback. I would like to apologize for what you experienced during your recent visit and assure you that I have shared this feedback with the appropriate individuals. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to improve on the services we offer.
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed here last month for one night while on a business trip and the hotel is a great location for a conference or access to downtown/surrounding areas. However, it is a valet only hotel and your only other option is a block away. I would also opt for breakfast at a nearby Einstein Bagels, as a plain bagel/cream cheese and milk cost approximately $10. The rooms are very spacious but the air conditioning system did not impress me, at all. As a matter of fact, I called maintenance because I didn't think it was working. According to the tech, the room's a/c was down into the 60's but because the companion fresh air system, which draws from the outside - thanks to Florida's high humidity - is damp air... yada, yada, yada (it wouldn't feel like it was in the 60's and all of the rooms were the same) and I tipped him too. Despite the great service you expect from a Marriott property, the beautiful hotel itself, it's convenience to my local office, etc, I like my rooms to have the capability to be ice cold and this one just wasn't; so I don't expect to return. I don't think I've ever said that about a Marriott property but I was absolutely frustrated with the a/c system; however, in all fairness to Marriott, I did not complain to management even after the tech's visit (and I had already packed up the room as I wanted to change it and I would only do that in a desperate measure) and don't know if it would've made a difference.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel for the air condition malfunction you experienced. Additionally, I want to assure you that I have shared this feedback with our Engineering Leadership Team. Please note that we appreciate your feedback as it enables us to improve on future guest stays.
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

We had a Living Social deal for a Storm game and decided to stay one night here last min. Got there - had to pay for valet (which I knew TY Trip Adv!) but made check in a breeze and downtown parking would have otherwise been difficult. We were in the room within 4 min- despite the fact that I made the res for the wrong day. We did therefore have to settle for 2 full beds rather than a queen it was worth it for the amazing intercostal view from the balcony. We enjoyed the sports bar and didn't go to the pool although it looked fun- they were growing lettuce tomatoes and herb Ina grow house by the pool which was fascinating to check out at night. Nice having Starbucks in the lobby in the am and check out/ getting the car was a cinch. Looking forward to staying again- especially if we get the same rate.

• Stayed July 2012
Gainesville, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Check-in is fine and the public areas are quite nice, but the first room we were given had blood on the bathroom door and we thought maybe there would be some other surprises so we called for a new room, and after the fourth attempt, they sent housekeeping to verify said blood on wall and, within an uncomfortable hour were curtly given keys to another room. The room is fine, but nothing more special than you could find at a much less expensive option--there is an Embassy Suites in front of this property and has much lower rack rates. We were also told they only had valet parking (despite what the website says about off-site parking--never did find which story was true) for $20 a day, but expect (during peak hours) to wait at least an hour for your car, four or five calls before someone answers, and valets who cannot understand the basic three digit tag number (they actually brought two wrong cars before we got ours!). The attitude here is really one of indifference--the service lousy, and as one continues to learn, internet and other amenities cost money. We were so annoyed we never bothered to get the bill knocked down or the valet taken off our bill--we just wanted to leave.

Room Tip: Don't bother asking for a balcony unless it is a river view--otherwise you will enjoy your balco...