“What a lovely hotel!”

Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #17 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We recently spent one night at the Marriott Waterside Hotel and Marina. We had a suite with marina views and access to the concierge lounge...what a treat! We have stayed at many Marriott hotels throughout the world including in Prague and Copenhagen. There is somewhat of a consistency in each room we've had....and it always is comfortable...and very clean.
CLEAN is my primary requirement and Marriott never misses!

Room Tip: There is a marina side and a city view side.....
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sand74
Write a ReviewReviews (2,888)

Reviewed December 19, 2011

I was going to a Tampa Bay Bucs games and only needed to stay one night. Because of my late plans, I used the AMEX concierge service to book the reservations. She found a nice reasonably priced king room at the Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel. However, I wanted an upgrade to a suite just as a special treat for the wife and I. The price went from $139 for the king room to $500 plus for the suite. Still no problem... good times are priceless. We arrive at the hotel and it's packed. Cars are everywhere as most hotels in the Tampa Bay area are sold out due to the game. Eventually the valet gets our car and we're off to our luxury suite. We walk into this room that's advertised as a luxury suite. Normally suites of this cost have separate living and sleeping quarters....NOT. The bed in a luxury suite turned out to be a murphy bed folding down from the wall with a very very poor mattress. No separate living and sleeping areas. When a guest walks into your room, they see where you sleep because there no curtain / door to close your sleep area off. Ok maybe I'll make an adjustment and adapt. Then the kitchen turned out to be a series of cabinets with a small refrigerator and sink. Disappointment has now taken on a whole new meaning. Ok it's only one night and I feel ripped off for the price. But we go to the game and we've got 3rd row tickets on the 40 yard line. I can almost touch the action. The Cowboys destroyed the Bucs. lol Then it's back to my overpriced suite with the murphy bed located adjacent to my living room (no separate area). I tossed all night long on the worse mattress I’ve ever experienced. I ended up getting up and 4:00 a.m. leaving in disgust. I imagine overall this hotel is great. But don't get ripped off by over paying for the much over priced Suite 2238.

Room Tip: Avoid the over priced suite 2238. It's not a suite.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank mjack1957
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize on behalf of everyone here at the hotel for what you experienced. Additionally, I want to reassure you that I have shared this feedback with my Front Office Team so that moving forward we take the opportunity to fully explain what amenities are offered in this specific suite prior to check in. Again, thank you for this feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve on future guest stays.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

Being a Platinum member I called a few days before my arrival to see if I could get an upgrade. When I arrived they had upgraded me to a suite with 2 balconies overlooking the water. Thank you Marriot. The breakfast has some interesting items on the menu. It is within walking distance to many shops and restaraunts. You can catch the trolley at the front door that will take you to Ybor city wich has many nice restaraunts. The only parking is valet no self parking. Would come back here in a heartbeat.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

This waqs my second trip to the hotel and I was pleased to spend a week there. It's location is perfect for taking walks to work off dinners. I did a total of 15 miles there during my week long stay almost all of it along the water.

Room Tip: I've stayed both near and a bit away from the elevators, both city and water side, all were just...
1  Thank wkrupa
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My room was clean and comfortable and had a nice view of the marina. The lobby area is very nice. The area surrounding the hotel has a few nice places to walk.

1  Thank LittleRockJim
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Stayed here for a meeting and thought it was quite nice. Staff was nice and helpful. Rooms were clean and well appointed. Great pool. Only two negatives. Water pressure on upper floors was strange and I heard others complain. And other than the convention center and arena, the hotel is somewhat isolated. There aren't a lot of restaurants across the street (or a convenience store or anything else). I would go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a water view and a balcony.
2  Thank oyster_afficionado
Bill H, Resident Manager at Tampa Marriott Waterside Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2011

Thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor and for kind words about our staff service. I would like to apologize for what you experienced with the water pressure as well as reassure you that it was an isolated incident and has been corrected.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

The room was ok, no make up mirror in the bathroom, no wifi anywhere (and they were asking 14.95 a day), but the worst was that the toilet was clogged in spite of someone showing up each morning to fix it. I stayed there three days for a conference. They offered me $50 off my overpriced room. Each morning I shared my tiny bathroom with someone yielding a toilet plunger.

the facilities though were great.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank VermontMoxie

Thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize on behalf of everyone here at the hotel for our inability to address the issues you were having with your toilet. Additionally, I am pleased to inform you that we have begun the process of installing wireless internet in all the guest rooms and we are forecasting to be complete by the end of the year. We try to offer as many amenities to our guests as possible and will certainly review the possibility of someday adding makeup mirrors to enhance the overall guest experience.