“Top Shelf Property” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Huntington, West Virginia
“Top Shelf Property”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

I stayed at the Tampa Marriott Waterside for six days in September 2007 while attending business meetings and a conference. The room rate paid was $145 per night for a king size bed with a water view.

The property is located in a safe and most convenient location. The Tampa Conference Center and St. Pete Times Forum are located directly across the street and the Channelside shopping/entertainment area is but three blocks away. The Tampa Cruise Terminal is five blocks away and trolley service to key areas in Tampa is available from directly in front of the hotel. Drive time to the airport, under typical traffic conditions, is fifteen minutes.

The exterior of the property is well maintained and is of good appearance. The drive-in area is well covered and is staffed by a large contingent of valet and bell staff. Service in this area was consistently prompt, courteous and efficient.

The lobby is reminiscent of the grand metropolitan hotels of the 1920s. It is very well done. The extensive use of dark woods and wrought iron are top shelf. Four artificial palm trees anchor the area and extend into the atrium three floors above.

Check-in was flawless with everything taken care of before my arrival. Luggage made it to my room before I did and there appeared to be a true commitment to quality customer service.

Elevator service was speedy and impressive. The hotel was full for the majority of my stay, but I didn’t wait longer than thirty seconds for a car.

Hallways leading from the elevator to rooms were clean and well lit. Rarely did I see room service trays or other trash in the hallways for more than just a few minutes.

The room was spotless, well maintained, and everything worked. Space wise, it was typical for a new hotel. The bathroom was well stocked and spacious. One issue in the bathroom was the lack of drawer space for toiletries. For a long stay, this proved to be an issue. The bed was very comfortable, and featured high thread count sheets and pillow cases. This is typical for this type of property. The marina views from the room were nice and are worth the special request.

The swimming pool/hot tub area, located on the third floor, is well appointed. The pool is large with plenty of sun deck space adjacent to it. A bar and a food service building are in this area as well. An adjacent exercise room is filled with the latest in equipment and features two large screen, flat panel televisions.

There are three full service restaurants in the hotel. A sports bar with a limited menu, a café type restaurant that features a buffet and outdoor dining area, and an upper end, sit down supper club. A Starbucks with limited pastries is also available just off the lobby. While I did not visit any area other than the café, the food there was good, typically priced, with good service.

The café has a counter area just inside the door. I chose to sit there one morning for breakfast and found the service lacking in speed and quality. It appears the counter area is not staffed properly. The wait staff seemed upset by the fact that I chose to sit there.

The concierge desk in the lobby was staffed during business hours and was supplemented by bell staff thereafter. I spoke to the concierge once during my stay, looking for a casual seafood restaurant. He seemed very rushed and basically did not focus on my request. He referred me to an upscale, downtown seafood house with the least expensive entrée being $40. Not my idea of casual. He also mentioned that it would be tough for him to get me a table at the restaurant he recommended. Overall, his service and focus was lacking.

Conference/meeting space in this property is top-shelf. All rooms are fully equipped for all AV/internet needs. It is obvious that significant thought and planning went into this part of the operation. Food service during meetings and for a large business reception was of excellent quality and service.

Check-out was a flawless. The statement placed under my door before departure was accurate and the front desk staff was again, focused on customer satisfaction and was most courteous.

Overall, this is a great property with great service. It lives up to its price point. I would not hesitate to stay here in the future. Persons looking for a quality, albeit less expensive property should consider the Embassy Suites which is located directly across the street from the Marriott.

• Liked — Quality and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Service provided by the concierge.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank cburley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Turkish first
Long Island, New York, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

After packing and preparing her first child for his freshman year at University of Tampa, we were both in need of a retreat. As practicing hedonists we were in search of a night with romance, great view, cleanliness, courteous staff, and upscale. From the moment we drove up I knew that the Marriott Waterside was going to be just right.

Room: clean comfortable with a balcony that you can actually sit out on and enjoy. View of Harbour Island and some of the industry to the east, but all in all a good view. Bed - incredible. Bath - Adequate. Room service - impecable - called "0" to then get connected to room service but the first person who answered the phone took my order for coffee and it was up in 20 minutes, (for $7). Awesome for a 700+ room hotel. Needed Advil and it was delivered in 15 minutes from the gift shop ($2.50).
Amenities: Has three resturaunts but we did not visit them. Outdoor pool on the third floor was massive, not crowded, good music, outdoor grill and bar as well. Bar in the lobby was great (thanks Amy) although this is primarily a business/conference hotel and my wife was hit on by conference goers three times while waiting 15 minutes for me to arrive. (For us, not a problem, we always laugh about that).
Area - Harborside which has resturaunts and night club and shopping is five blocks away . Trolley stop is across the street from the hotel and we took that to the Harborside Area, the trolley continues to Ybor City if you are so inclined.

We highly recommend this hotel and in fact have booked for the college parent's weekend although the school had a block of rooms at the nearby Westin.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

The Tampa Marriott Waterside is a very nice hotel. It is clean and nicely decorated. I stayed there for a convention and had a room with a King bed to myself. (Which means I was relaxed just for the fact that I was able to sleep in late without kids). The bed was the best feature of the room. It was topped with what some sort of feather mattress. It also had about six puffy, pillows! I regularly sleep with several pillows so it was great not having to call down to housekeeping and then hope and wait for someone to bring extra pillows. On the down side, the mattress itself was a tad too soft, but strategically placed pillows made it comfortable. The view from my room of downtown Tampa was very nice.

The hotel served as a nice convention center as well. The meeting rooms were nice. Such rooms are always a tad cold for me, so bring your sweater if you get cold easily. The break-time snacks were typical but good (sodas, water, coffee, cookies, chips, pretzels, etc.). Our convention provided breakfast and lunch in the Il Terrazo restaurant. Breakfast was great. Lunch was OK. The Friday banquet was OK as well.

One evening I checked out a movie at the IMAX theater which is within walking distance of the hotel (along with a bunch of restaurants -- I forget what they called this area). The theater was great. The restaurant pretty good. I enjoyed the outdoor pool. The jacuzzi felt good but looked awful. I hope they fix the cracked tile and open filter intake

All in all, I would enjoy going to this hotel again for a convention.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Parkland, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

I spent one evening at the Marriot Tampa Waterside in early July. The weather was hotter than hot...very muggy. As a Floridian I am used to this but others may find it a bit daunting.

I was in town to attend a bridal shower with 3 other people. We booked 2 rooms. One with a king/street view and another with 2 queens/water view. I stayed in the water view room which was lovely. Some rooms have balconies, make sure to ask for one when making a reservation. The rooms are standard Marriott cookie cutter, but clean and spacious.

The place was packed. It is across the street from the convention center and the American Idols were performing and staying at the hotel... the kid with all the hair was just mobbed! In addition, an Anime convention and a gymnastics competiton were going on so the valet was backed up for a very long time. This could be a problem if you need your car in a hurry.

From check in to check out the service was great. The staff is warm, friendly & helpful. The location is very nice. Seems that the downtown area is up & coming, thus a Starbucks across the street. I recommend taking the walk across the street because the "Starbucks" in the hotel only brews starbucks coffee. It does not really create all the specialty drinks. My latte was horrible and created with a push button all in one machine.

They do have a buffet breakfast which some members of my party ordered. Some items were good others - not so much. I had eggs benedict and would not order it again.

All in all, I would stay again. Rooms - nice & clean. Service - great. Food & beverage - I would recommend you eat at a local restaurant. Tampa has many great places to eat. Self park your car unless you want a long wait.

• Liked — Location & Service
  • Disliked — Slow Valet
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Edison, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

Stayed here before a cruise and loved it, within walking distance to the pier. Close to many different places, ie Busch Gardens, Baseball, convention center. Not far from beautiful beaches. Highly recomend it. Breakfast was a little expensive, might want to go somewhere else, but the food and service was excellent.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Price of the food
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2007

Just returned from a week-long stay at the Marriott for a convention held at the Convention Center.

The facility is excellent. Our room was comfortable and clean.

We ate in both the Champions Sports Bar and The Waterside Cafe. Food was good and typically priced for a hotel restaurant. The staff had no problem when we asked for separate checks (7 of us for lunch at the Waterside on a very busy afternoon).

Check in went smoothly, and when I asked for a roll-away bed without having made previous arrangements, it was delivered to the room within a half-hour of my arrival.

The bellmen outside were friendly and accomodating when we needed a cab/van to transport from 6 to 12 people.

Our only complaints - and that's too strong a word - we had to keep reminding housekeeping that there were 3 people in the room and we needed more towels, coffee, etc. And there was some confusion with separating our bill when we checked out; but the problem was solved in a matter of minutes with no arguing on their part or ours.

All in all, a nice hotel and a nice stay there.

• Liked — friendly staff, comfortable room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2007

Let me start out my review by saying that I am very loyal to the Mariott name. We usually stay at Marriotts once a month and in many different cities. This was the worst service we have ever gotten from a full service Marriott EVER!

We arrived Sat pm - went to our room on the 10th floor overlooking the bay and the marina with a balcony. Nice enough room, wanted an upgrade and they we looking for us while we went to the 3rd floor outdoor pool and bar area for lunch. Nice for a city pool and it was pretty hopping.

Went back to the room to see about moving - they had handicap rooms and that was all. We also had told the front desk that we wanted to have the down pillows and comforter removed and replaced with foam. I four days they could not get this right...The start of many conversations that I would have with the front desk.

We went for a drive, came back and took a nap. Got up at 8 and wanted to take a walk before dining at the resatruants Italian Restaurant that we have heard great things about. Came back before 9 and guess what - on a Sat night it was CLOSED. Sign said open until 10 but we were told that since it was slow they shut down. OK, we will go to the cafe in the hotel - yes, you guess it, CLOSED as it was slow. They did tell us we could go to Champions - the bar - but we wanted a nice meal, not junk. Went to complain to the manager and was greeted by 2 huge dogs on the elevator (no dog policy in place) and was told that the manager had made an exception for these dogs. They were not seeing eye dogs or the like - and I am allergic so this combined with no food really upset me. I will give this manager credit as she opened the cafe and had us waited on and we could have whatever we wanted...the highight of the stay.

Went to bed and there were all night parties going on...no sleep.

We were here3 nights and the restaruants were closed the rest of the stay. Told me that it was a management decision and that since the hotel was not at capacity that was the decision. I do not fee that Bill Marriott would have agreed with that.

ANyway, the hotel is beautiful, you can get good rates but the service stinks. The restaurants are never open and when they are the service stinks. Food is lousy and you will be going hungry. I do not recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2007