“A great deal in downtown”

Residence Inn Tampa Downtown
Ranked #73 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed March 25, 2007

Hotels in downtown Tampa are generally expensive, so I tried my luck at Priceline and got this one for only $65 (I talked to some people on the van who paid $179, so my deal was much sweeter!) It was confusing to find due to the closed exit, one-way streets, and several streets closed due to construction. We could see the hotel but it took us driving around it a couple of times to actually make it there. There is a curbside area at the entrance for 10-minute parking for registration and then you drive across the street into the gated parking lot. My clerk, Jackie, was friendly and helpful at check-in and gave us a lovely room on the 7th floor. The room consisted of a desk, an L-Shaped sectional, coffee table, chest of drawers, TV, Queen size bed (I asked for a King, but she said they had none in the hotel,) a nicely equipped kitchen (cooktop, microwave, full-size refrigerator, and all pots/dishes/etc.) and a little bar with 2 stools. (**Note, there is no oven. I was happy I didn't bring a frozen pizza to bake when I noticed this! Also, there is no table, just the bar.) There is a sink/vanity area separate from the toilet/shower room, which was nice. The room was average and showed very little wear. The room wasn't the cleanest I've stayed in, but was acceptable. Mostly the floor in the kitchen area needed to be mopped (actually I thought it was a marble design, until I spilled some water and wiped it up to find that the floor wasn't the color I thought!)

In terms of furnishings, the best feature was the bed. It was high and had nice, comfy linens. The sofa was less than comfortable. I found the ends to be OK, but the middles were too soft.

The hotel has nice amenties such as free breakfast (which was standard cafeteria-style buffet and pretty bland, but they did have salsa and cheese sauce to spice things up, a really good oatmeal bar with nuts, raisins, and brown sugar, make-your-own waffle station, a yogurt-parfait station, scrambled eggs (too wet for my taste), sausage, pancakes, and potatoes.) They also have free internet access in the room. But, I think the best feature is the free shuttle service. The shuttle actually leaves from the adjoining property (Courtyard by Marriott) but will take you anywhere within a 2 mile radius. I used it to get to and from the convention center and my friends who stayed elsewhere and had to drive were envious.

The shuttle is great since there is really nothing around the hotel. The Performing Arts Center is close, as is the library, and a Domino's Pizza. The shuttle driver told me there will be new "high-end" condos across the street from the hotel soon, as well as a new shopping/entertainment area. From the looks of things, I wouldn't expect many changes until maybe 2008. Be sure to take food for your room, or have the shuttle take you out for meals.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank 1Venus

Reviewed March 20, 2007

Booked hotel on Priceline for a pre-cruise stay. The hotel is not a luxury hotel by any means, but has lots of extras. Kitchens, fold out couch, beer, wine and food on weekdays and a shuttle. Workers were nice and helpful. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Cobie
Reviewed February 25, 2007

Rooms were large and comfortable but pricey for the location. Spend the extra $25 and get right on the water.

Front desk was not as professional as I experiance at other Marriotts.

Free breakfast was very good. Service staff very friendly.

Parking ($8) accross the street was secure and well lit but the hotel offered no help with our luggage.

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank Phreddie
Reviewed February 23, 2007

We recently stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the University of Tampa which is only a few minutes away. We really enjoyed this hotel as it was made up of a kitchen and living room combination and a separate bedroom with a TV in each room. The room was clean, not immaculate, but cleaned well enough for us to still feel comfortable staying there. There was also a good breakfast with eggs, bacon, waffles and the usual cereal, muffins, breads, etc. The pool and tubtub looked clean, but we never had the chance to use them since it was rainy and cool.

We did have a little trouble finding the parking lot and the entrance since it's located on a one way street, so make sure you take the street before where the Courtyard is located on and go around the block to the other side where you will find the Residence and parking lot.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jayne2004
Reviewed February 17, 2007

for $65 on priceline, a great deal. apartment-like room with full kitchen, two couches. very comfortable bed. free shuttle for 2-mile radius. decent breakfast. 24-hour hottub/pool. everything else is pretty bland. downtown tampa is a bore. not even a coffee shop within walking distance. everything shuts down early. not the hotel's fault, but better locations to stay in tampa.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank fritztastic
Reviewed August 25, 2006

I had to book a hotel quickly in Tampa because my dad went into Tampa General Hospital for unexpected surgery. The hospital suggested several hotels in the area but, I am so glad that the Residence Inn Downtown was available. The room was VERY large, well furnished and VERY clean and comfortable. The staff was so pleasant and helpful from the desk to houskeeping. The Residence inn offers a large breakfast each morning and hospitality hour in the evening complete with soup, wings, popcorn, a keg of beer, softdrinks and pretzels. They even showed a movie for families with kids here that evening in the lobby. The hotel located in the center of downtown Tampa across the street from the Public Library and the Art Museum. University of Tampa is in walking distance and I spoke with several college students walking in the area who said it is safe to walk around downtown in the daylight hours. I walked to and from the hospital each day (10 am and 6 pm) which is about 1.5 miles from the hotel although, the hotel provides a shuttle to anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. The Courtyard Marriott is directly across the backside of the Residence Inn and both hotels share the pool, basketball court and the hot tub. Both hotels seemed busy but never over crowded in any area. The Residence Inn offers a great rate of $99 to family members of folks who find themselves in Tampa General Hospital.
Great stay...I would come back in a minute!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
6  Thank thebee
Reviewed May 11, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our trip to Tampa at the beginning of Feb.
We checked in very late as our plane was delayed but had no problems getting right in. The hotel was very busy for Gasparilla but didnt hunder the service.
Room was nice and spacious as are all residence inns, and housekeeping was excellent every night.
I would not recommend the restaurant at the adjacent Courtyard, but the front desk was happy to provide us with menus of nearby places that would deliver.
The location was nice. There was a shuttle that would take us anywhere within 5 miles.
We took the initial shuttle into Ybor City and then rode the trolly and busses all over the city thereafter. There was a stop right in front of our hotel. We could go to channelside, Ybor and even Hyde park for $2 a day unlimited...what a deal!
I would definately stay here again on our next trip to Tampa.

• Stayed: February 2006