“Good hotel, great location, in need of a little upgrading”

Residence Inn Tampa Downtown
Ranked #74 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is really well placed downtown. It is within a lot of things to walk to and see in Tampa. Luckily, I did not encounter any parking problems as some other reviewers had mentioned. The room however was basic and comfortable. The furniture is well worn and some of it needs to be replaced. I posted a picture of the desk chair that was a little worse for wear. The hotel staff is kept pretty busy and seems to be a little overwhelmed by the number of people that come in and it can take a little while to get checked in and checked out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stephen M
Sergio M, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Steve thank you for your review we really appreciate all your feedback, I do apologize for the speed and efficiency of your check out and or check in. This is something we will make sure to correct in the future. Thank you again!

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Tampa Downtown

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed two nights, nice clean good breakfast. Week night cocktail hour with food, beer wine and soda . Walked to nearby restaurants and transportation is provided for free to nearby places. Went to Busch Gardens needed transportation for 10, hotel went out of their way to set it up for a low fee! Everyone here is friendly will be back someday!

Room Tip: all rooms are suites
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Kevin, thank you for your awesome review! I will make sure to inform the staff of all your posistive comments. We look forward to your return in Tampa!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The staff, from the GM to the housekeepers of this hotel is outstanding! They put you first and are always looking for ways to meet your needs. Serving you comes first! You won't find a better place to stay while visiting downtown Tampa! I highly recommend you choosing Residence Inn Marriott Tampa Downtown!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Sergio M, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your awesome review! We are so glad that we were able make your stay a memorable one! We look forward to your next stay and thank you once again for choosing our hotel.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Think I have over 100 nights at this hotel now. Is it the best hotel in the world? No, far from it. Heavens no. I wouldn't stay here with my family. But, it meets my requirements for business travel. Their suites have mini kitchens which facilitate somewhat a 'normal' life style when travelling the way I do. You need it. Their breakfast is crap and there is no restaurant at the hotel. They have a decent pool area, but the fitness 'center' is below par. After they had a management change, they lost half their parking lot. That is a huge pain in the backside. It is downtown Tampa which is perfect for me. Although downtown Tampa is as lively as a dead cow afer 5 p.m unless you go to Ybor City. Easy to find from I-75 and the airport is close. The staff is great though. Guess they're trying their best. Internet connections says 'high-speed'. Anyone travelling just a little bit more than average would know that that doesn't mean anything at all. Their connection is slow. When the hotel is busy, you can forget it. Go for a run. Or maybe watch the grass grow....slow elevators too. But, when business travelling and staying more than one week in the same spot - Residence Inn works just fine. I would recommend it for business travelling but dont expect too much. Cost benefit analysis Works out in Your favour though. Just one last time; parking is a pain....

I don't know why you as a tourist would stay visit Tampa to begin with, but that is another story.
Go to Orlando.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool area. And, stay away from floors 3 and up. You'll die of old age...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We will make sure to use your feedback in upcoming staff meetings so that we can improve our service all around. I do apologize for any inconvenience in our hotel and i hope you will try our hotel again when you are in Tampa.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

So, this is my second extended trip to Tampa in the pas two months. You can see my review on another Residence Inn from my prior trip. I am still in the middle of this trip and wanted to share some thoughts.

Comments:

Parking is an issue. Turns out paying for parking guarantees nothing. They will intentionally over-book their parking spaces, charging you in advance, and if spaces fill up you get to try their over-fill lot, try to find a spot on the street, or pay for another lot a couple of blocks away. Yes, after already paying for a spot. I don't mind paying for parking, and understand they have limited spaces, but over-selling the spaces they have available is borderline fraud as far as I am concerned, and probably a breach of contract. I pre-payed for 30 days of parking. So, do I reverse the charges? Do I have to count each day I can't get a spot and ask for credits? Do I have to stress about getting to the lot early enough when the weather is bad so I don't have to walk blocks back to the room? I read some warnings about parking, but figured once I payed I was good. Not so.

As for the rest, breakfast is not quite as nice as the other Residence Inn. Only foam plates and plastic utensils, OJ is watery, and no Yogurt/granola cups (small retail yogurt packages). Haven't had enough breakfasts to comment on variety or quality. Same for evening meals (only one so far, and it was OK).

Housecleaning is a little below the other Residence Inn. Inconsistent with towel replacements, didn't clean the microwave (tiny bowls they offer overflowed and I couldn't get it completely clean with just water), or place dished in dishwasher (this doesn't bother me, but just noting the difference). Some "clean" dishes were a little dirty (as a general suggestion: wash all your dishes once the first day before you leave in the morning - true for any extended stay suite of any brand).

The toilet is better. The shower valve is loose and will slip to a hotter temp if you don't set it carefully, I found setting a warm temp that works well for me and stays at the temp, so it's a minor issue for me.

Layout is the exact same for the two Residence Inn's in Tampa. The downtown is close to a couple of nice bars and Ybor city. The Westshore has a nice restraunt right across the parking lot. without considering external considerations (destinations, duration of stay, etc), I have to give the nod to the Westshore hotel. The parking has me very annoyed since I am here for a month and may have to deal with parking aggravation multiple times. I may very well move to another location before my trip is up...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael F
Shab S, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Tampa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Michael F,

First of all, I sincerely apologize about the parking situation and I am so happy that you took the time to review now so that I have time to do something about it. We have a system in place so that we know EXACTLY how many parking spots we have to sell and we never over book it. We have two separate lots. One that is across the hotel and another one that is right next to the hotel. After reading your review, I think that the issue is that we need to change the code to enter into the lot. The only thing that makes sense is that too many people have it and are parking in there illegally as we NEVER oversell that lot. Being that parking has been an issue, we are doing everything possible to be able to fix it and make it better for our guests. We want you and each and every one of our guests to leave with a smile and come back to our hotel happy to be with us. Please notice that you will be getting a letter under your door that will tell you what our new parking code is.

I have literally just went to my morning staff and made sure that they realize that they need to always have yogurt parfaits available every single morning. Sometimes, they go faster than they can make them as they are one of the favorite items on the buffet line. We are proud to state that we do make our food fresh every single day and you might have caught them at a time when they were preparing more. Though, there is no excuse and you deserve to have what you are looking for.

I will follow up with housekeeping and give additional training and maintenance to check your room. We do have a new housekeeping assistant manager and I know that having those ladies available, they will do a great job double checking the work of our housekeepers to ensure that we are maintaining the level of cleansliness that is so important to us and all of our guests.

I appreciate all the details that you have shared and I want you to know that we do care and I'll be working on these things immediately. Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to make this right.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We took a taxi from the airport and stayed one night before a cruise.
The staff were friendly, courteous, efficient and attentive.
In the afternoon and early evening one of our couples took advantage of an offer by the shuttle driver of a free drop-off in the downtown area and a pickup later. Not having a car, this was really a nice touch. The driver was so pleasant and accommodating. There was also, of course, a complimentary timely shuttle service to the cruise port.
The hotel was clean, comfortable and quiet (especially for a Saturday night). We had a 2 bedroom suite
 which provided lots of space for the four of us (2 couples). There was a full kitchen with a table, living room with TV and two nice bedrooms, both with ensuites and TVs. We had a nice bed and a good nights sleep.The price which we thought was very reasonable, included a great breakfast buffet.
This was our first time in Tampa and we thoroughly enjoyed the very short time in the city. Discovered all sorts of activities and sights in the neighbourhood and down along the river. There was an outdoor Sunday market right around the corner, neat stores and restaurants. Beautiful Art & Photographic Museum with a restaurant alongside the river. What a lovely setting. Loved the old Tampa Theatre building. We just didn't have time!
We hope to return and will definitely book here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bob D

Thank you for your great feedback about the hotel and staff. We are glad to hear you had a great experience with us and we look forward to your next return before or after your next cruise!

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Near the heart of downtown Tampa with walking distance to the Arts, Children's Museum and much more.

Parking is a bit of a hassle when all the "15 min" spots out front are taken (with no one in the lobby - how does that happen) and you can't get in the lot across the street without a key. Only other issues is the the TV sits on a stand about 3 inches below the end of the bed - watching is difficult if you dont want to sit up. Should be mounted up on the wall.

Friendly staff, clean and fairly quiet with a good bed.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank mseltzer4

Thank you for your feedback, I do apologize for the inconvenience when you first arrived to the hotel. We will make sure to take your feedback and make ourselves better from that. We hope that you will choose our hotel again on your next visit to Tampa!