“Good for Tampa & they have dim sum!”
Review of China Yuan

China Yuan
Ranked #387 of 2,418 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Florida
“Good for Tampa & they have dim sum!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Tampa bay area for some reason seriously lacks good Chinese restaurants. There are tons of Chinese fast food, food court, and giant buffet type restaurants but seriously scarce on quality authentic Chinese food. China Yuan is one of only two decent ones I've found in over a decade. What is nice is that they also have dim sum, but not in cars. They have a dim sum menu with pictures. Some of the dim sum items are a little deceiving though as there are not full descriptions. For instance, I thought the fried taro would be more on the sweet side. It is not, it is definitely savory with a beef filling that is not mentioned in the description. I really enjoyed it though.

Three of us went to China Yuan last weekend for the first time. It is not very large so it the place gets pretty busy. We tried several of the dim sum items as well as Singapore style rice noodle and BBQ crispy pig. The BBQ crispy pig is one of their specialties and the small order was more than enough for the 3 of us. It was pretty fatty and not that crispy but it did have a good flavor. I would not have picked the Singapore noodles but someone else wanted them. They were good I would have rather tried something else. The dim sum was very good. I really enjoyed the shrimp dumplings, steamed roast pork buns, steamed dumplings, and fried taro dumplings. I did not care for the scallop dumpling though. We had the Coconut Milk Pudding and Sesame Balls for dessert. Both were very good.

Service is decent. We definitely want to come back and try more items.

• Visited May 2013

Tampa, Florida
“best chinese food in Tampa”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I've been eating here and stopping in for take -out several times a week for several years, and have NEVER had a disappointing meal. The food is fresh, delicious and so reasonably priced I can favorably compare China Yuan to my favorite restaurants in New York and Toronto.. When they were closed for renovation a few years ago, I was going through withdrawal. Try it , you'll LOVE it!!!

• Visited April 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Will go back”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

First time trying dim sum so I honesty have nothing to go off- this restaurant is one of the few That offer dim sum till 4.30 which is good.
I liked the dim sum we had a variety of
Dumplings and sticky rice all pretty good I will go try different ones and see how it compares. I will go back here for dinner.

• Visited March 2013
Seminole, Florida
“A clean, family style restaurant with delicious food”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The vegetables are always fresh and special requests are cheerfully accommodated. The menu meets every appetite, offering fresh seafood, poultry, beef and vegetarian selections. Lobsters are brought in straight from the boat and fish are delivered three times a week. You select your own to be cooked. Never greasy, always delicious.

Visited February 2013
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Lobster heaven”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

From your visual inspection of the live lobsters ( or your avoidance of meeting your dinner, face to face ), the process from salt-water tank to plate takes only a few minutes...and the variety of preparations is limited by your imagination. The garlic-black bean sauce is my personal favorite. An excellent selection of dim sum is available daily and their own variety of pot-stickers cannot be missed.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Mike R

Been to China Yuan? Share your experiences!