“Excellent hotel for the Westshore area”

Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore
Ranked #49 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
San Francisco, California
“Excellent hotel for the Westshore area”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights as I'm doing consulting work in the Tampa area for several months and my home is near Daytona Beach (I've been traveling way too much). I've stayed in several of the hotels in the Westshore area and this Sheraton property is one of the best in the area. So far I've stayed at the Wyndham and the DoubleTree which are both on the same block and this property is far nicer.

Positives:
Room and furnishings - Suite with two rooms, the living room has hardwood floor, couch, flat screen lcd, small refrigerator, microwave and sink. All the furnishings were modern and looked to be fairly new. The bedroom was well lighted, double sliding glass doors almost completly blocked the highway noise which was nice as I was on the back of the property facing 275 (compare this to the DoubleTree where you can hear every vehicle being driving by). Bathroom was updated and modern, nice shower head, heard zero noise from my neighbors.

Lobby - well appointed and large, no complaints.

Fitness center - nice new Lifestyle ellipctals, a few treadmills and bikes, as well as cross trainer weight equipment and free weights.

Pool - was nice if a bit small, it's indoors and adjacent to the fitness center, fairly private.

Location - easy access off of 275 or heading north up the Memoral Parkway, close to the airport.

Hotel bar - Food was decent, I had a turkey blt one night, several beers and hummus platter another, food was decent, wasn't overwhelming, the happy hour special was good as well.

Front desk - Hotel employees were very polite and helpful, they did an excellent job.

Green program - if you have housekeeping skip your room for the day you get a $5 voucher for the hotel commissary or the bar (not sure if it's just food or drinks are also included)

Neutral:
Hotel bar was a bit small.

No free wifi in the room, only in the lobby.

Some hoodrats spray painted my vehicle's tailgate which I didn't appreciate, I'm not knocking the hotel for this though, could have happened anywhere, and the management did seem concerned.

Summary:
For the price in this area I don't think you can beat it, it's an excellent hotel and I'd stay here again. In fact, I'm down the street at another property and wish I was at the Sheraton instead (auction website, my company isn't paying for this so you don't always get your pick).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SoloTravlr_34
dwrossman, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear SoloTravlr 34

Thank you for the five-star review. I am glad we were a good base for your work here in Tampa and that our facility met your needs. So sorry for the unfortunate issue with your truck. I hope the paint was able to be removed. I appreciate your participation in the Make a Green Choice program which awards guests a $5.00 credit in the hotel’s gift shop or restaurant in lieu of daily housekeeping service. A third option is to redeem the Make a Green Choice voucher for 500 points toward your Starwood Preferred Guest account. This program is available at most Sheraton hotels. Quick fact: DeLand, Florida is not only the home of SoloTravlr 34 but also Atlanta Brave great, Chipper Jones!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stopped in this hotel for a weekend of baseball games and it was a decent for the price.

The good - adequate room for a family of four, the kids love the pool and all the employees were friendly.

The bad - Paid $10 for internet access and it was terrible. We could only get a connection while standing by the door of our room. We had planned on taking this up with the front desk when checking out but we were running late for our flight. They probably would have comped it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Five Aces Tx

So glad you choose our hotel for your weekend enjoying America’s pastime, baseball. I apologize for your Internet experience. We have followed up on this. Come back in the Spring and visit the Yankees for the Grapefruit League. Steinbrenner Field is just two miles from our hotel.
new jersey
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Just left this hotel for another property located nearby. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever had the displeasure of occupying. Last night the wife and i arrived from a baseball game to find that our toilet was clogged. Very strange since we had been out of the room all day???? My wife called the front desk to have maintenance come up and fix the situation. What occurred next is amazing!!! Someone knocked on the door and handed my wife a plunger!!! She was told to unclog the toilet herself, then place the dirty plunger in the hallway when completed. Needless to say I was not happy. I called the front desk to complain and was told there was no maintenance staff (they had all left for the day) and that no one left would fix the situation.

The front desk clerk was extremely rude and refused to assist us. He also refused to move us to a different room. Finally i had to call the Starwood customer service line and was assisted by an excellent rep. I was able to get a room at a competing chain covered by them.

I spoke to the General Manager this morning and got nowhere. He stated that the situation could of been handled better but stands by his employees behavior. I was totally shocked by this conversation as i thought a person in charge would find this ridiculous.

Needless to say, i would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone now or ever. The hotel is understaffed after 11PM with no maintenance or competent staff to assist a guest in the proper manner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank hotraveler69
Dear hotraveler69

My apology goes to you and your wife for this inconvenience. This is not typical of the level of service we provide to the thousands of guests we welcome each month. I hope to have the opportunity to show you that we can do better.
Massachusettes
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We booked this on Hotwire and we got a great deal. The only disappointment was that the pool was indoor ... not outdoor and it was a beautiful weekend and we wanted to get some sun.. The breakfast buffet was a little overpriced for what items were on there. The beds were sooo comfortable and we had a comfortable stay. Oh...The garden Atrium is very pretty and relaxing

Room Tip: Just a reminder that it is Indoor pool only.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear travellover 290

We get lots of compliments on the beds, I’m glad they added to your visit. While an indoor pool has its advantages, sometimes you want to pay homage to the sun. Cypress Point Park is 1 ½ miles down Cypress St. with a beach on Tampa Bay. We have beach chairs and a complimentary shuttle to take you there. Enjoy!
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel has solid staff who work hard to help you: their shuttles for example will take you on short trips if you ask, they provide early check in and late check out, and the restaurant provides fast service if you are short on time and cannot get out to a restaurant.

The location is only 5 minutes from the airport and relatively close to downtown if you need to run there (a taxi ride is 15 minutes and $15 to $20).

But, the public areas do feel kind of tired and old -- with the rooms opening out to a large, characterless rectangular courtyard. This makes the upper floors somewhat unsettling as you walk out of your room and the over the railing it's a long sheer drop straight down!

All in all, this is a decent business travel alternative if you want to be near the airport at an ok price.

Room Tip: Stay on lower floors if heights bother you at all -- given the open railing and long drop right outs...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
dwrossman, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Tim P

We thank you for your feedback and for staying with us. I encourage all to check out the “traveler photos” above for some uncensored images of the atrium and other areas of the hotel. The lobby is 100% new from 2009 and the atrium is full of lush tropical trees and plants. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so please come and behold us yourself!
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Once again (our third visit), we were thoroughly pleased with our stay at the Sheraton Tampa Westshore. We are FL residents who live 2 hrs. from Tampa, and occasionally have an early flight from TPA. So we booked a room for the night before our flight. Rooms are all suites - have a separate living room area upon entering, which can be closed off after entering the bedroom. Beds are very comfortable, hotel is quiet, staff is very helpful, rooms clean, and the hotel itself is very pretty with an indoor atrium/glass elevators. It is excellent for an airport hotel. Also, we have stayed there upon arriving at TPA late at night, and the shuttle is punctual, the driver extremely courteous. Our only choice when we stay near TPA!

Room Tip: Being a Starwood Preferred Guest gives you a higher floor room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear rtk56

Thank you for the ringing endorsement! As I have stated before, a repeat customer is the best compliment. Thank you for your business and your loyalty. We look forward to your 4th visit!
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed August 26, 2012

is a converted embassy suites in a convenient area with many restaurants nearby. rooms are dated but got as a 59 dollar hotwire specail which makes it an outstanding value at that price however not worth the 120 that the website wanted

Room Tip: only do if can get at discounted rate otherwise not worth it
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Rafael I

I am glad you found us to be both a value and a convenient location. We look forward to your next visit.