“Nice rooms, couple of issues”

Four Points by Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore
Ranked #61 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I haven't stayed here in a few years, and I was happy to see the rooms had been renovated nicely. Comfortable beds, spacious areas and a nice new look. AC worked well and helped drown out some of the noise, which was a problem.

Housekeeping apparently likes to leave the door latch pointed inward as they go in and out of the rooms, allowing the door to BANG loudly two or three times each time. I sleep late, and it got really annoying every morning at 9 am hearing that over and over. To be fair, a lot of hotels are guilty of this, and it's unacceptable. I never understood why they couldn't just wedge something under the door to leave it open while they were inside.

There is also a very minimal choice of TV stations, not what I am accustomed to when I stay at Sheratons (and I stay at a lot of Sheratons). Not a big deal to me since I don't watch much TV anyway, but some may find this off-putting. And Starwood needs to stop with the 10 to 15 dollar per day charges for wireless internet... most other hotel chains tend to offer this for free. Even if they have to charge you, 10-15 dollars a day is a flat out rip-off.

I must also say that the three people I came in contact with directly on the staff were all noticeably less-than-happy. No one was rude, but there was no evidence of the usual friendly Sheraton service.

On the plus side, the location is very convenient, the beds are great, and the parking is free.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
dwrossman, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear jockk407

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. You make a good point about the doors, I will address this issue with our room attendants personally. On our television offerings, we are finalizing the plans for an upgrade to HDTV which will also double the number of channels available to guests. On the Internet issue, it is only a matter of time before the major chains make changes in Internet charging. I can’t say when this will occur but your voice is heard. I am disappointed that our staff did not wow you with hospitality. That is our mission. This too will be personally addressed. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the suite, your bed and found our location convenient. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

The overall feel of the hotel is very dated. Next to interstate, so if you are on that side of hotel, expect poor views and noise if you want fresh air. Note, if you use the pool, this one is inside and you have to walk thru lobby to get to it, not a good set up at all.

when we arrived, it was set up in the lobby like a wedding, little did i know they were having a catholic conference and essentially holding a church service in the lobby. While I am all for worshipping the lord, in a hotel lobby, with people staring at you in judgement while you go up the glass elevator with a cold drink, well, lets just say I felt like I needed to hide in my room till they dispersed.

I would not stay here again, considering the nice hotels nearby. Needs a complete overhaul and update. The rooms are big, but with no windows in the living area, not a very nice place to hang out during the day.

Room Tip: Good luck, no views, so go for a room as high up as you can get.

Dear Rrmwork

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. One of the great aspects of life is when one has choices. The attributes that did not fit your needs are features that many of our guests rave about. The hotel completed a renovation at the end of 2009 and it has held up quite well. Most feel the open atrium takes away the claustrophobic aspect of some hotels, brings in natural light and allows the trees and other tropical flora to thrive. Yes, the group in the hotel held a service and invited any of our guests to attend. I respect your opinion, Rrmwork and during a future trip to Tampa, I would be happy to assist with your reservations and block your room away from the highway. Thank you for your comments and for staying with us.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the Sheraton Suites while visiting friends. I didnt rent a car, so the location wasn't that great. It was a pretty far walk down to the mall (almost 1 mile), especially when its around 90 degrees. If you have a car, then everything is a easy drive in Tampa from the hotel. Cabs are also very cheap.
The hotel inside was nice, very friendly service throughout. I agree with some of the other posts about the room: it was a little dark and outdated, but good size. I would stay here again only if I had a car and got a good deal.

Room Tip: I saw 4 different rooms, they all appeared to be the same.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
dwrossman, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Dear Jtp05

Thank you for staying with us. Please note that our van service will take hotel guests anywhere they care to go within a three-mile radius. This includes the best two malls in the Tampa Bay area, numerous other shops, restaurants, and even a beach on Tampa Bay. The service is complimentary. On the décor of the suites, I realize everyone has their own tastes and views of which I respect. The entire hotel completed a renovation at the end of 2009 and the great majority of our guests rate our condition as top-notch. We can always improve on maintenance to keep it new looking and endeavor as all businesses should, to improve every day. Thank you for your business and your feedback.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

At first glance its a nice hotel but very quickly (no real close inspection is required) you will see just how shabby everything is. Our room was actually pretty dirty when we checked in. The floors, specifically, were gross. I was too tired to pitch a fit because we only arrived at 11 at night, but in the morning I did call up the housekeeping supervisor. After that the cleaning was ok. But everything is so... dingy looking! The chairs have marks and stains on them, the desks are scratched. the other thing that I found odd is how tiny the bathroom is. There are 2 spacious rooms, and 2 TVs, and a couch, and then there's this miniscule bathroom! My husband and I could not go in there together to brush our teeth, it was that small.
Breakfast was not included in our rate, but there is a fridge and a microwave. The fridge is weird and froze all of my bananas. It doesn't appear to have a possibility of temperature control. There's a good coffee maker and starbucks coffee. And the bed is pretty good.
Downstairs, the shabbiness continues. The gym is stale, small-ish and not very clean. The water, trash, and wipes receptacles in there are pretty gross looking. It has adequate stuff f you are determined to work out, but it's not great. The pool holds some sort of baby swim classes all morning long, every morning. Great if you have a 2 year old. Otherwise, it's offputting to think of all the peeing that must be going on there. Plus of course the shrieking.All in all, I'm not really interested in staying here again.

Dear og217

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at our hotel. I have already shared your comments with my team so we can learn from our mistakes. By private message, I hope to learn the suite number you were in so I may make a personal inspection. The fitness and pool areas had been in the process of some renovations. The air conditioning work is complete and we are finishing some cosmetic work so the area should once again match the high standards Sheraton has for their fitness centers. I look forward to a return visit from yourself to regain your goodwill. Thank you again for the constructive feedback.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

The rooms are large (great for families) but overall everything is very dated. The rooms have a dingy smell to them and just felt dirty. My alarm clock was unplugged (of course with no wall plugs around to be found), my phone was missing buttons and the plug-ins on the lamp were not working so I had no where to plug in my phone/computer near the bed and the air conditioner was quite loud, even in the seperate bedroom area. I was also quite suprised that with my SPG gold status I was given a room on the 2nd floor, facing the parking lot. I probably wouldn't stay here or recommend it if it wasn't part of the SPG hotels expecially at $152/night on a corporate rate.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
dwrossman, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Dear Lacie B

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback with me. By private message, I hope to learn your suite number so I can insure the issues you report are corrected. Typically, the bedside lamp has two electric outlets to help with phone and computer charging. We will double our efforts to insure they are always in working order. We look forward to showing you we can do better on your next visit.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

This Sheraton is a nice hotel - GREAT LOCATION. Rooms are huge (suites) and well kept. The hotel is a bit old, but maintained to a high standard. Breakfast was excellent and the bar atmosphere at night was equally as nice.

Room Tip: Check in early so you dont get a room overlooking the freeway. All travelers definitely want to get...

Dear Bob c

Again, those Atlantans have got good taste! Thanks for staying with us Bob, we look forward to your next trip to Tampa. Visit the Varsity for me and tell them Dave says ‘hey’!

Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed here for a Lifeonaire event that was being held here. Can't think of anything negative to say about the Suites or the Meeting Facilities. The hotel is gorgeous and the suite are so spacious. And the BED!!!! Unbelievably comfortable, so much so we'll probably purchase whatever they have for our next bed...that and the pillows, too! Didn't know I'd ever sleep on a bed more comfortable that our tempurpedic foam mattress! The restaurant menu has great variety and decent prices. You can't bring your own wine/alcohol into the restaurant area (we visited some local wineries...yes there are wineries in Florida!), but there's plenty of lounging areas for you to enjoy company with all your colleagues and friends. The hotel set up a very nice lunch buffet which made it super convenient for our all day meetings, although the 18% required tip was a bit much, but the staff was excellent so I got over it. The shuttle is very accommodating, too, to take you to local dining and the airport of course. Overall we'd stay here again if we were in the area!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear ShannonFrench

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the kind words. All reviews are shared with our team and they will be pleased that they exceeded your expectations and that we will see you again. Perhaps grapes will give oranges a run for their money as the state fruit!