“Updated review”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay
Ranked #24 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I reviewed this hotel last year and I've since returned. I still continue to recommend the hotel. I agree with other posters that some renovation is needed here. The rooms are a bit dated. But, they are spacious and clean and the majority of staff here are just excellent. It is also a good idea to book a room with a bay view because it is so nice to look out at the ocean. I had the breakfast buffet all 4 mornings of my stay and it is very good. On Saturday, they even have an omelet bar which is fun. I think the restaurant/bar staff, shuttle drivers, and housekeeping folks are extremely nice and friendly. This time my biggest gripe is with the lack of an upgrade as a hilton diamond. Of course, I know this is not guaranteed. However, I requested a patio room upgrade and when I checked in, the clerk said there were none available. I don't think that was true because there was still availability showing on the website both that night and the next day when I checked again. I mentioned to her that the website showed availability but she insisted there wasn't.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing Tampa Bay.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dkuchs
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Attended training at this hotel. We were in one conference room for three days and then they moved us to another for the fourth. Supposedly the room was 'exactly the same' - so why move us? The room we were in the first three days seemed to have a lot of noise going on - employees talking in the hallway, some machine noise outside the back wall. On the last day, though they moved us to a room that was separated from another room by a divider. The class in the next room had a person speaking loudly and playing loud audio while we were trying to take a test - very annoying. The manager's response to the move was basically that there was nothing that could be done about it. The trainer mentioned to the manager that the canned sodas they were serving us were expired and his response was 'oh'.

Needless to say if that is management's response to a problem, the staff probably doesn't provide much better.

On a more positive note, the lunches served to our group were very good. and the attendant handling the lunches was very attentive.

No free Wifi access in the conference rooms - really?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LoveToVacationFl
Reviewed November 1, 2012

What a disappointment this hotel was. I booked my room ahead of time and did it on-line. I called the morning of my stay to cancel one of the 3 evenings I booked. I was told that it would be less money to stay for 3 nights compared to staying for 2 nights! How ridiculous. So I simply wouldn't stay the 3rd night and you lost a room that could have been booked.

I asked for 2 beds and arrived Thurs. evening only to find all the rooms with double beds were taken. The front desk told me this is what happens when you book online.l They could give me room with a KING size bed. I was not alone, but sharing the room with my niece. I was not happy but took the room only to find it was a QUEEN size room. This meant another trip downstairs to the front desk. I was given another room which meant I had to move my things to another room. The room was a conference suite, which was good. Thank you for that.

Later I wanted to get WiFi and called the front desk because I could not get it to connect. I discovered there was a $9.95 charge for 24 hours. I said fine and wanted it for 2 days and a maintenance person came to my room to help me get it connected. After leaving, he called me to tell me it would be no charge because they were trying to make my stay more pleasant. Great! However within 24 hours, I no longer had WiFi. At this point I decided calling and complaining was not worth it.

This room was booked only because my company was having a conference at your hotel. Had the conference not been at your hotel, I would have left and found another place to stay.

I can honestly say I was extremely disappointed with my stay and its doubtful I will recommend your establishment nor will I stay with you again. I'm looking for a place to stay in November in Lawrenceville, Ga and I doubt I will stay with you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
8137398812, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We do take great pride in the product we provide to our guests and in turn are proud of our great service scores. Obviously, in this case the ball was dropped and we did not execute as we are accustomed. I would like to inquire with you as to where we fell short so we can make necessary improvements. My email is matt.davidson@hilton.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have to agree with previous comments that the location of the hotel is good with lovely views over the bay however we found our room to be very dated and in need of refurb.
The interior of the corridors include brightly 1970's carpeting similar to that found in a 2 star Carribean Resort Hotel. The restuarant and bar are also dated and really need sprucing up to the 21st Century.. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, Well done guys it must be difficult having to work there every day.
Our room although spacious was tired with nylon carpets and sofas. The bathroom was also tired with peeling paint on the door and a faulty fawcet.
Thankfully we were only there for one night.

1  Thank breckski_7
8137398812, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

We appreciate your comments about your recent experience with us. I can assure you that we’re assessing all our property reviews and keeping an active record of what enhancements we can make. We appreciate hearing from you and wanted to let you know that we’re undergoing a renovation next year. We’ll also make sure that our maintenance staff takes care of any immediate repairs including the faulty faucet. Unfortunately, I’m not sure what room you had but please direct message me your room number so we can correct this. My email address is Matt.davidson@hilton.com. If you travel again to our area, we hope we have the opportunity to show you our improvements.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Loved this hotel. Stayed here for 2 nights while my husband had a conference in town, and the location is perfect; the suite was HUGE and clean and lovely, and the staff was very very accommodating and courteous. Close by to anything you need to get to, while still being far enough away from the "City". Would definitely stay here again.....!

I felt like it was like a new apartment with a full staff. Nice pool area and friendly bartender as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the feedback on your stay with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit and experienced our excellent customer service. We do take great pride in the product we provide to our guests and in turn are proud of our great service scores. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Tampa.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here 3 nights while visiting family. The suites are quite large, nicely furnished if not to my tastes, and very clean and comfortable. The price cannot be beat and the location is very convenient to the Tampa airport.

If I were to nitpick, its that although it looks like the hotel was recently renovated, its age peeks through in the form of worn elevator buttons;tarnished door handles and miscellaneous small imperfections which a new coat of paint can't cover.

Overall a very satisfactory experience.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in this hotel 4 nights, June 4-8, 2012 and was very pleased with the experience. There was a large group of us staying at this hotel for business and we came together from different areas throughout the country. I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff. Our group did not have rental cars, therefore we needed to rely on the shuttle bus driver to take 40 of us to and from our place of business in the morning and afternoon. There were 3 different drivers and they were all prompt and friendly. In the evenings they also took us to nearby shopping and dining areas as well. It rained most of the days we were there but the one day I did get to use the pool I found that the pool area was beautiful with plenty of lounge chairs right the bay and a canopy with palm trees all around. It was a nice relaxing space. Inside there is a large bar area as well and the bartenders were friendly and fun to talk to. The room was very comfortable and spacious with a seperate living room area with doors to the bedroom that would close. The bathroom was also spacious with good water pressure. The room I stayed in faced the bay and it was nice to look out and see the water in the mornings. I didn't eat the breakfast that was available in the lobby but I know that they did have Starbucks coffee available. The chocolate chip cookie at check in was also delicious. My company usually has us stay here when we come to Tampa so I'm sure I will be back. Thanks for the great experience. :) I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A room facing the bay is better! :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Janet0619
8137398812, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel! We were glad to hear that you enjoyed our friendly customer service and clean suites. We were also glad to hear that you enjoyed the views of Tampa Bay from your suite. Again thank you and we hope we can welcome you back to sunny Tampa Bay soon.