“Smelly, hot, dirty, old and run down and shocked!”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay
Ranked #25 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Where do I begin, oh the front door! Nothing like the smoking section greeting you at the front door! I smelled the smoke in the parking lot from my car.
Walked in and felt humid and sticky and hot and ac not strong in lobby or in room-very hot in room until I turned ac down and it took so long to cool. The AC was soooo loud and the vent loud part was in bedroom! Little thing but the phone is so dirty. Then I am a Hilton Honors and thought I would get my internet free, but no I am low life blue and you need to be gold. Very dark and so run down in room and overall hotel. I was just so shocked! I thought Doubletree, I thought Hilton, so it must be at least decent and could not be more surprised and disappointed. If I had not bought it/owned it through Expedia I would have cancelled and went somewhere else.I will never go through Expedia again. my preference of location by airport was only ok point.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank travelhappy1995
8137398812, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

travelhappy1995,

Thank you for your feedback. While we are never happy to get negative feedback, we realize that it is the only way we can judge our performance. I am happy to say that this week we have begun replacing all of the AC units in the guest suites. We will also be beginning our full renovation within the next several months. We hope you will give us another try next time you are in Tampa. We take great pride in the service we offer our guests and would love the chance to show you what a great hotel we are.

Thank you.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

The staff are real nice and rooms are very clean. I had a few problems but it was fixeded. Very beautiful view of the bay also. And can drive 2 min to a small private beach also.

24 min from Busch Gardens which is a must go! And 24 min from Clearwater beach beautiful views and pay for a speed boat trip for 20 dollars others are a little higher

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Large room with nice view of the bay. a bit on the pricey side and could use an upgrade for the money spent, but no real complaints. Good location, good sleep, lots of room in the room, good experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We said at the DoubleTree for one night 07/2012 due to an impromptu trip to Clearwater Beach. We normally stay in condos on the beach due to the size of our family (6 total) plus they are more affordable but with just a one night stay we needed a hotel. We stayed on the 2nd floor with a pool/bay view. I must say you can see that the hotel is dated from the rooms to the lobby etc., but with that being said the room was very clean and the shower had great pressure. We also made use of the microwave and mini frig. Beds were very comfy, even the sofa bed. Since we had such a short stay we did not dine in the hotel but I must say the cookies were very good. The pool is a nice size and again everything is clean and tidy. We did make use of the gym which is on the 3rd floor and though it's small (really the hotel is not large) it had up to date equipment and everything was in great condition (also had tv's all over)...Dumbbells, Cardio machines with a few stability balls and yoga mats. The staff we encounter were very helpful and friendly. All in all I could see us staying again but I wish they would update some...this hotel has such possibilities.

Room Tip: Either go for a 1st floor bay/pool view I noticed those rooms have patios with sliding doors or, go...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2012

July 2012 stay at this hotel near Tampa Airport/Clearwater. This was our second stay but the bathroom was very displeasing. After speaking to the staff during checkout about this, the individual did not seem to care much.

We will not be staying here again.

View video of this unfortunate situation:

Room Tip: Rooms have very lound A/C systems. Good Luck.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank wendy46001
8137398812, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Wendy46001,

Thank you for your feedback. I am truly disappointed at the condition of the bathroom you stayed in during your visit with us. We have identified the room and have put procedures in place to not let those issues happen again. We take great pride in our product and overall get very good feedback on the cleanliness of our rooms. We are also looking forward to the impending hotel renovation!

We hope you will give us another opprotunity next time you are in Tampa.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed for a vacation weekend as part of a trip to Florida.
Check in was great, quick, efficient & friendly.Just how we like it!
The room - well suite - was really large with views over water.
Maybe it is a little tired, although not threadbare by any means - it was clean & tidy with a small kitchen/dining/sitting area with a separate room for the bedroom plus a decent bathroom.
Breakfast was buffet style & was plentiful with coffee & tea served at the table by pleasant staff. A separate cook stood by to freshly prepare omelettes.
The pool area was nice, overlooking the water. You would obviously need a car here as it is a short drive to the city, a longer one to the beaches but there are a few nearby restaurants including a Bahama Breeze restaurant hidden away around the corner (2 minutes by car) which was in a picturesque location overlooking the bay & the food & drinks were great. (had to wait 40 minutes for a table though so be prepared!)
There was a wedding & reception in the hotel on the Saturday which didn't seem to interfere with the workings of the hotel at all & was actually quite nice to witness. I wish every stay in a hotel could be as pleasant & as professional as this one. Well done to all the staff & management here.
Overall we would stay here again whenever we visited Tampa.

Room Tip: Water facing? Not sure if all are facing the pool & water?
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Loved that the check in was quick and fast, and my guy REALLY enjoyed the chocolate chip cookies we received. The man who checked us in was great and very friendly! When we got in our room, it was clean and at a great location. I'm a light sleeper so the loud air conditioning unit bothered me to no end, but the comfy bed made up for that flaw. Housekeeping was great and very efficient! The location was close to all of the highways we needed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple