“I'd have been furious if I didn't have free tickets!”

Glazer Children's Museum
Ranked #25 of 197 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: Glazer Children's Museum is a 53,000 square foot facility in the heart of Downtown Tampa. Created specifically for children 10 and under, the Museum is a place where parents and children can learn through play and shared discovery. We offer 170 "interactivities" in 12 themed areas for families to explore and connect while having fun along the way.The Museum can be easily reached from anywhere in the Tampa Bay area. All themed areas on most exhibits are wheel chair accessible.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Even at free, it almost wasn't worth the money. Let's start at the beginning.

Parking is on the 4th and 5th floors ONLY of a shared parking garage and it is fairly expensive. At least there is good air circulation and working elevators.

First thoughts were not impressive. The building was pretty bland but clearly marked. I didn't see these fountains that they show in the picture above. We enter the building and things began to look up a bit.

The girls (and I mean not too far past barely old enough to work legally) behind the counter could not have been LESS interested in what they were doing. The one that wasn't helping us didn't even bother to stop texting when we walked up so we went to the other one. We gave her the tickets and she put the "child ownership" bracelets around my wife and my wrists.

The first floor had an elevated lazy river that kids could splash around in. There were several little stations that kids could do various little tasks, but nothing really fun. The kids were more about splashing than anything else. They could put together pieces to make a little sailboat that could go down a straight section or they could roll a ball over a track that went above the water. My 5-year old lost interest in each of these "stations" in less than 30 seconds. Most didn't get a second glance.

On to the second floor. This floor had a suspended climbing feature (for a lack of a better word) that was supposed to simulate water falling from clouds or something. It was a big jungle gym that kids could play in by going up and down the little landings. The remainder of the 2nd floor was really not all that neat. Kids could pretend to be a fireman in one little section or dance in another section and see themselves on TV. A major supermarket chain has a little area setup to look like one of their stores that kids can pretend to be grocery shopping in. Most of the electrical and plumbing learning areas were so overused that the majority of the displays didn't work.

Most of the adults in this area were just there to let their children run wild without any supervision. A herd of women took over the only seating in the main area of the 2nd floor and were prattling on while their kids went through the interaction zones like little tornadoes.

After 1.5 hours of letting my son run around and try to interact with the other children, we'd all had enough. He didn't even put up a fight and we left. We stopped by the gift shop on the way out for a couple of sodas and a bottle of water for the little guy. $9.50!!! For 2 sodas and 1 water. WOW! Nothing like the last minute gouge of parents before they leave!

I hope that my $10 was worth it, that'll be the LAST $10 they get from me! I only gave it the 2nd star because my son was entertained A LITTLE BIT for an hour. We'd have been better off in a public park with a playground!

4  Thank JamminJimE

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have a 2 year old and a 8 month old. They had a blast. The 2 year old more of course.lol There was so much to do there even for my 2 year old. Lots of fun and very educational. For my 8 month old there was a ball pit, a fake beach and blocks he was able to play with. It is mostly geared to older kids, but all ages can have fun here. They even had a little disco area we all had a good time at.

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

A reviewer down below said the museum is good for a rainy day; well I say it's good ANY day, especially when temps are 90+ degrees outside!! And I think $15/adult is very reasonable when you consider how much the zoo, aquarium and local theme parks cost! My almost 3 year old had a blast, so we'll definitely be back. There are other lunch options in the downtown area: Thai, Caribbean, pizza, brunch, gyros & pitas. Bring a swimsuit and water shoes, and change on your way out the door so the kids can play in the fountains. Only drawback is that Curtis Hixon park has NO SHADE. Whoever designed that must be from the frozen north and has no children.

1  Thank PaleoFloridian
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have visited this museum many times with my grown children and grandchildren. Even though they are 5 and 7 and usually have a quite short attention span, the children are always the last to want to leave this hands-on museum.

I am not sure if this museum is dedicated more to learning or to just plain having fun. There are so many exhibits that it is hard to see everything in one day.

The children can climb safely, play in the water, bake immaginary pizza, learn to dance or do lots of other things. There is an annual fee available to those who want to visit often, as we do. I always consider this a day well spent and I predict that the attraction will last for many years to come.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have three grandkids, ages 2, 3, and 5. After our recent visit to the New York City Kids Museum we were completely surprised and impressed with the quality the Glazer Museum. Perfect for this age group! The staff was plentiful and attentive and very professional with rhe kids. Had a quick lunch at the Subway on the first floor, then were back at it for more fun. We bought year passes and plan to return often.

Been to Glazer Children's Museum? Share your experiences!