“An afternoon on the water with my family -- best birthday gift ever!”

Urban Kai Stand-Up Paddleboarding
More attraction details
Owner description: In Tampa Bay and St. Petersburg Florida, Urban Kai Stand Up Paddle Board Shop (located in two locations on Tampa Bay) is teaching, touring and offering fitness classes for stand up paddle boarding (SUP), and it’s the latest recreational, low impact, and fun activity to get into top shape! It looks like the miracle of “walking on water” but you are actually floating on water while standing up and paddling. We offer fitness classes, private lessons, adventure tours, and rentals in the Tampa Bay and florida areas. We also provide kayaks for rent.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I was surprised by my husband and two teenagers with the only hint being "wear your bathing suit". We met Mike and Aimee at the boat launch on Weedon Island and started our lesson with dry land instruction and hit the water 10 minutes later. We got the hang of it quickly and soon were able to enjoy our surroundings while paddling. We saw stingrays, pelicans, spoonbills, egrets, blue heron and fish were jumping everywhere! It is a workout so I enjoyed the stretching break on the sandbar and cooled off in the water. What a beautiful, memorable day. I suggest bringing frozen bottled waters and sunscreen -- both can be strapped to the front of the board.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

It was our first time trying Stand Up Paddleboarding, and Mike and Amiee gave us all the necessary instructions and we were on our way. It was easier than I thought it would be. Stand Up Paddleboards are the perfect maritime vehicle to explore the mangrove waterways around Fort De Soto. We enjoyed viewing rays and lots of fish, unfortunately didn't see a Manatee. Maybe next time. Urban Kai was a very professionally run experience and I would recommend them to anyone. Mike's background as a professional trainer comes through with coaching on the finer points of SUP'ing. Urban Kai rocks!

Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband, daughter and I went paddleboarding for the first time and we are hooked. Our instructor was absolutely great... explained it thoroughly, brought several types of boards for us to try. We had a great time, great workout! I would highly recommend giving Urban Kai a call... great adventure... cannot wait to do it again.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

As it happened I did only have one day in Tampa and this turned out to be the perfect way to spend it. I am no sports woman, but I love the water and wanted to see something of the Tampa Bay area. Amy and the Urban Kai crew were patient and passionate teachers/enthusiasts and really made my day. These people can teach you to paddle board with the best of them, keep an eagle eye out to show you all the different wildlife surrounding you, whilst chatting about everything from the art of dog rescuing, to the finer points of starwars vs harry potter. I challenge you to find something they can't hold a conversation on (particularly Christian who can combine film tips with paddle tips in one seamless flow). Urban Kai's trips are simply a wonderful way to learn new skills, explore places you'd never get to normally see, and work out muscles you had no idea you had, all in the company of some of the nicest people you could meet.

3  Thank Marjorie063
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I had my first paddle board lesson with Mike and loved it! He is knowledgable, patient and easy to learn from. I had never before been on a board and within 20 minutes I was standing up paddling and feeling comfortable. If you are considering SUP, I would certainly recommend taking a lesson from Mike!

1  Thank 312,312