“Takes the blues away”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Tampa, Florida
“Takes the blues away”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Funky and lively with inspired, imaginative dishes. Generous portions, especially for Sunday brunch. One of the few restaurants in Tampa with fantastic outdoor seating; wide wooden booths under tall shady oaks. This place is the perfect antidote when you're feeling crushed under work and just want a beer, some great food and a little noise. Usually there's a wait so we end up at the bar, where we're inevitably pulled into conversations (I'd ask why everyone seems so happy and friendly at Ella's, but that seems a bit self-evident). Great local beer selection. Wish a second was helping behind the bar as the bartender is always running and overwhelmed, and it can take sometimes up to 20 mins and some aggression to get a drink. The girl needs some help. Remarkable restaurant accommodating all ages, including hip families with young kids. Love Ella's!

• Visited September 2011

Tampa, FL
“Excellent food, very inattentive service”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My wife and I dined here on Saturday night. I'll start with the positives. The food was excellent -- the Fat Jabs appetizer (cheese-stuffed Jalapenos), the Chicken Spadini and the meat loaf were all worth a repeat order. The menu is relatively small and there were a number of other things that we'll definitely try. The wine list had some good values and we had a perfectly fine bottle of Shiraz for $22. The service was friendly -- when they eventually paid attention to us. We sat at the bar while waiting for a table and we practically had to set ourselves on fire to even get the bartender to look at us -- it was very odd. We got seated upstairs and the male waiter that started with us suddenly disappeared and was replaced by a woman who finished up and took our check. Because of the food, we will go back again. But if the experience is the same, we would likely not make a third visit. If the first visit is the anomaly, I would increase my overall rating from Average to Very Good.

• Visited August 2011
“Love this place!”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Cool, eclectic, and fantastic inventive food without breaking the bank! Try it, you will love it....

Timbuktu, Mali
“I Want to Like Ella's, I Really Do”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I just can't find "the meal" that makes me want to jump for joy, and we've been to Ella's about five times now. We are vegetarians so immediately the selection is slimmed down, but Ella's does offer several vegetarian dishes, which is greatly appreciated.

Last time I was there I had one of their pizzas and the dough tasted similar to what my old Play-Doh tasted like when I had let it bake in the glory of the sun. We were also there on a day when a local bike troup rolled up. Unfortunately I don't think the restaurant was prepared to handle the crowd and our food took over an hour to get to the table, even though we had ordered before the bikers arrived.

Eating outside on the patio is a lot of fun. The street that Ella's is on is not the most scenic but what can I say, I love to eat outside whenever possible. Sometimes they have a live band inside of the restaurant and that can get NOI-SY so the patio is also a good escape.

Very clean bathrooms, typically-attentive service, and good wine/beer selection.

I just wouldn't make this my first stop if I were visiting the Tampa Bay area. It's funky and hip but the food quality is a bit lacking.

• Visited June 2011
Tampa, Florida, USA
“Fantastic place”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Great food, great service, very affordable, and memorable atmosphere. One of tampa's finest