“great burgers, greasy soggy fries”
Review of Burger Monger

Burger Monger
Ranked #250 of 2,461 Restaurants in Tampa
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We've been here several times, as we're locals and the burgers are always good. However, the fries are another story.
Tonight we had 2 orders of fries and the first was so greasy, they left skid marks on the plate. They re-did them and the second order was undercooked and soggy.
Both bad.
The fries should equal the burger in a burger joint. Makes one want to go elsewhere.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

$72 for four people, and no table service? You order at the counter like McDonalds. I could of had Five Guys Burgers at half the price, and twice the quality. I could of ate at PF Changs for that much money. Wont be back. Good luck charging that much money for a burger, and getting repeat customers.
BTW, you do not have "Kobe" beef, there is no Kobe beef in the USA. very misleading.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Super food - Kobe beef. Lots of special toppings to choose from. Hotdogs are fantastic too. You can share an order of fries as well as a milkshake - plenty to go around. Gotta go if you're in the area.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

A favorite place for excellent burgers. I get mine with a fried egg which is not often available at other places. Service is excellent and they are very accommodating to large groups.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Okay, I admit it, I'm going to copy something from Wikipedia.

Burger Monger advertises "Akaushi" beef. Personally, I had no idea what that was, hence the Wikipedia explanation. (I'll edit to highlight a few points.)

""Akaushi is a Japanese Wagyū breed of cattle. The beef produced by Akaushi cattle is richly marbled with fat and produces a very tender, flavorful expensive variety of steak used in Kobe restaurants. The largest purebred group of the Wagyū breed of Akaushi cattle outside Japan is located in Harwood, Texas, owned by HeartBrand Beef. ... The meat contains high concentrations of oleic acid, a heart-healthy fat. Akaushi beef has a high ratio of mono-saturated fats to saturated fats.""

What does all that mean? To me, it means that this beef is both yummy and actually a little healthier than most other burgers.

BM's burgers not only benefit from high-quality beef, but also its condiments. Sure, you can go basic, lettuce and vine-ripe tomatoes, or a little more esoteric, like onion slaw. But that beef and any combination of condoments on a buttered (but not toasted bun), and you have one of the best burgers in Tampa.

Oh, and as a 100 percent carnivore, I feel a little guilty in saying this, but BM's veggie burger could convert me. It's a black bean and rice patty that has wonderful spices. I always try to sneak at least a bite of my wife's veggie burger whenever we visit.

Now, more than a few reviews say that they didn't think the fries were very good, and I know why. BM doesn't season their fries before putting them on the table. They're not battered or manipulated in the kitchen. They're fresh cut, perfectly cooked fries. You are responsible for deciding how much salt and pepper (and ketchup) that you want.

So, at the end of the day, our burger, veggie burger, one order of fries and one medium drink was just shy of $20. Expensive? Yeah, a little bit. I wish we'd get a few more fries (a half-pound really isn't as much as you think it would be), but all in all, I say that for the quality of the food, the money is definitely worth it.