“Great cheap eats”

Ranked #71 of 2,567 Restaurants in Tampa
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Two words. Taco Bus. I've heard about it but I hadn't ever been there. Well, no better time than now to try it out! I'm on my way to go see Muse in Tampa and I'm in need of some good food. There are quite a few locations in the area but I decided to go to the one in Tampa. Located on Hillsborough, near 275 it's in an easily accessible location. There was ample parking. To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of food trucks. Often times, I find that it's too greasy but I know it isn't always the case. I see the bright yellow bus with the menu in front. Oh man! The choices, I'm getting pretty excited. I'm here at the Taco Bus, so I'm definitely going to get some tacos. They also have burritos, quesadillas, ceviche, desserts and other items. Ok, step 1. Taco. Next, the protein. Man, I want it all!

A server comes by and informs me that there's a seating area available. Awesome, I can sit down and figure this out. I looked around and there's an "outdoor" seating area and also an indoor seating area. I really like this, getting food truck food and having actual places to sit. I'm looking for any unique items on the menu. The beef tongue is jumping out at me. I'm definitely going to have to get that. The do have a 2 taco deal for $8.99 which includes 2 tacos, rice and refried beans. Personally, I'd rather forego the rice and beans for another taco, so I'm going to get three tacos instead. I'm in the mood to get some different meats rather than the traditional carne asada. Ok, I think I'm finally done. 1. Fish taco 2. Beef tongue taco 3.Cochinita Pibil taco. I really liked all the colors going on. Fresh flavor, some pickled veggies, I'm digging it. The tacos were a double-ply of the corn tortilla but it worked out since it had so many toppings. I didn't eat all of the tortillas (I find it a bit much at times) but I was glad to have it though. The fish taco was fried, white cream sauce was a bit reminiscent of mayo. (Which I'm not the biggest fan of.) Next up, the beef tongue. I'm trying to think of how beef tongue "should" taste. Not.. quite sure. I remember the last time I was adventurous with a taco, I wasn't too pleased since it was pork rind taco. It was nothing what I had imagined. This time, I figured it would be meaty-like. I didn't think I was ever going to say this statement but..."That is some good beef tongue there!" I was truly surprised. Beef tongue? Who knew what delicious it entailed? Wow. Last but not least, I had the cochinita pibil taco. The menu describes it as "Shredded Pork marinated in Achiote and bitter orange, then wrapped in banana leaves and slow roasted in a smoker (BASED ON A 5,000 YEAR OLD MAYAN RECIPE!)" It's definitely not spicy but flavorful. I could taste the bitter orange. All in all, everything was great.

My friend ordered the 2 taco deal with carne asada, rice and beans. For the vegetarians out there, you'll be glad to know the rice and beans are vegetarian friendly. The rice was "okay" for me. It had corn, carrots, and peas in it. Both the rice and beans were fluffy. The menu also had some seasonal drinks and also horchata. Horchata is a sweet drink made from rice, condensed milk, vanilla and cinnamon. It was very sweet, a little too sweet for my tastebuds. (Although I must say, this drink is really good with some Crown Royal.) Three tacos in and I'm done. Everything looked great and I can't wait to try more. They have plenty of vegetarian options that actually sounded delicious. This location is open 24/7, which gives Taco Bus even more cool points. I'm a night owl and it'd be great to have something else to eat aside from the typical Denny's. I'm sold on this place and I'll definitely swing on by here next time I'm in Tampa.

1  Thank FeistyFoodist

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We found the Taco Bus because we were looking for vegetarian restaurants while in Tampa for business. The Taco Bus was identified on line as "Vegetarian Friendly" - and while things were pretty well labeled here, there weren't a lot of choices for the veg. I ordered the Ensalada De La Casa with the Butternut Squash filling. It was decent, not spectacular. We also ordered the chips and guacamole which were just ok. It was a decent fast food experience and fun to sit outside in downtown Tampa.

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Loved this place! Tacos were excellent from well seasoned meat to perfect toppings. Pollo verde maybe on my top 10 list of best tacos ever (not easily said). Strange cool concept - buses permanently set with outdoor patio and small indoor seating.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We went to the downtown Tampa location. The place has a really cute exterior. The food was good but not something I would rave about. The service was fast (but it's almost like fast food so why wouldn't it be?). Was expecting a little more - maybe we would have gotten it from the actual Taco 'Bus'? It wasn't bad but in my opinion it wasn't over the top like others have reviewed.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband saw this place on diners, drive-ins, and dives. So natually we HAD to go there. When we pulled up, i was ready to turn around. The parking lot was not paved and was all dirt/dust. There were 2 broken down school buses that looked like hell. There was also an "open 24/7" sign. However, once we parked I noticed a HUGE line (it was lunch) so I thought it can't be too bad if all these people line up every day. The clientele was a huge variety. People in suits/ties to smelly hippies with ripped clothes. We read the menu on the side of the bus and ordered at the bus window. I ordered ceviche with shrimp and octopus. My husband ordered beef tacos. we got the food quickly and looked for a place to sit. The seating was on a dirt floor with a tarp over us. pretty weird and i can imagine it gets super hot in the summer. So we sat down and ate. Let me tell you....this was THE BEST ceviche I ever had. it was so fresh and so yummy. I was so happy. The tacos were amazing also. Fresh ingredients and freshly made. Perfect balance. It was really was fabulous. during the whole trip to tampa, i kept thinking about going back to the taco bus. amazing food.

Been to Taco Bus? Share your experiences!