“Finally made it here and enjoyed it but....”
Review of German Bistro - CLOSED

German Bistro
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Finally made it here and enjoyed it but....”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This is not the pinnacle of German food in my opinion. Yes, it was good but it was not the German food that says....I will be back tomorrow. First of all the FREE beer, a good thing, is not so good when all they have is skunky St. Pauli Girl. I will gladly pay for a Paulaner or Kostritzer.

The menu is also pretty limited if you ask me with no pork knuckle on it anywhere.

Location is notthe best so for me to drive all the way from North Tampa to eat at place this far away it better blow me away. Sadly although good, it was not superlative.

Jagerschnitzel was my entree with spaetzle. Side salad swimming in vinegar. Bread with margarine and a comp dish of potato salad as well.

Again food good but the Jager itself seemed to be covered in a gravy that could have been right out of a jar. On theotherhand, I did clean my plate.

I also took my wife a Schnitzel :Weiner Art" home with strudel. She ate the entree at work the next day and said the same thing I did. Good but not overly so. She did not like the strudel. SHe lived in Heidelberg and also flewPan Am to Munchen for years.

A solid place, nice folks, good food. 3 stars. To get to 4 or more work on the beer, the variety and the desserts. Will likely visit again if in the area but not a special trip place for now. Not too expensive but not cheap either.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank GulfCoastGuy

“The Best Homemade Desserts - the Best!”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Wow! Homemade Strudel including the dough. No store-bought phyllo dough used here!

They make a chocolate praline torte to die for covered with homemade cream as well as using German-manufactured chocolate for a chocolate rum cake with raspberry rum sauce.

You can special order their all-from- scratch black forest cakes too.

I admit I have a sweet tooth!

I was told it is time to start pre-ordering/pre-paying for their very best RUM cakes for the holidays. They are made to look like Bavarian shaped castles or just plain.I waited too late last year but was able to order one in January. It was worth the wait.

Saturday nights include live German music and dancing, plus free beer.

Orlando, Florida
“Very Friendly and Great Service”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my currywurst, spätzle, and sauerkraut. Even better was the service. The Deutsch have a way of being very, very direct, open, and honest, which strikes Americans, accustomed as they are to euphemisms and evasions, as rudeness. However, the staff at the German Bistro are very welcoming, friendly, and eager to please. They apologized over and over that their credit card machine was out of service. I was happy to pay in cash and will stop by again whenever I am in Tampa.

• Visited September 2011
Florida
“Great food, beer, prices and service!”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

... did I mention accordeon entertaiment too? We went for an early Saturday dinner and had the rouladen and schnitzel entrees, both great! The atmosphere is very casual, and the hosts very gracious. We hope for their continued success in the South Tampa area so we can visit them often!

• Visited March 2011