“A great visit”

Tampa Bay History Center
Ranked #20 of 198 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience 12,000 years of powerful stories at the Tampa Bay History Center. During your journey, you will stroll through a 1920s-era cigar store, row up the Hillsborough River, ride along with a cattle drive and learn about the early exploration of Florida. This waterfront building, with an eclectic Museum Store and the signature Columbia Cafe, is a memorable experience for families, history enthusiasts, Tampa area natives and beyond.
Austin, Texas
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“A great visit”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Lots of varied exhibits presented both fun and thoughtful for adults and children. Fascinating history of native peoples, and development up to present time, told in a very personal way. Located in beautiful Tampa riverwalk area. Columbia Cafe on site was great - reviewed separately.

Visited February 2014

• Turkish first
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Interesting local history & a nice lunch”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We went specifically for the special Florida map exhibit which has been extended thru 4/13. Was very interesting in terms of local map history on the state of Florida. Did not get to see the other 2 floors so will return another time. Well organized map exhibit. Took a break in between to have lunch at the Columbia Cafe located right in the building. It is an off shoot of the historical Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. Tasty Cuban style food. Free parking in the blue lot to the left of the building as long as you get the token when you buy your admission tickets.

Visited February 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“its ok.. get to know a lot about tampa and florida..”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

we had a ok time at this place. a lot of boring stuff, if u live in Florida and don't no much about the place it would be good for them.. but we were english.. so it was ok

my mother and father enjoyed it more than me .. to many maps.. when u have seen 30 maps of florida you don't need to see another 50 to 100

for me i would go back.. no one in the place to ask questions to

Visited January 2014
Sheffield, UK
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Didn't realise Tampa had such a history!”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is a surprising little gem of a museum and it very cleverly maps out Tampa's past & present history. The exhibitions are excellent, in particular, the interactive displays which are world class and are not to be missed. I never realized Tampa had such a violent past with a reputation as bad as that found in old Chicago. Well worth a visit.

Visited January 2014
Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Much to See”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

For my birthday in December of 2012, my son gave me a years membership to the Tampa Bay History Museum. With my card I could take my husband in as a guest & receive free parking:) We took advantage of attending many activities though the year that otherwise we would have stayed home and missed. A year later, my son and family joined me in Lutz for the birthday. We celebrated by driving into Tampa for a day at the museum and lunch at the Columbia Cafe. We all enjoyed our time there, especially the young grandchildren. It is good to learn of the roots of one's area.

Visited December 2013