“Much to See”

Tampa Bay History Center
Ranked #21 of 197 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience 12,000 years of powerful stories at the Tampa Bay History Center. During your journey, you will stroll through a 1920s-era cigar store, row up the Hillsborough River, ride along with a cattle drive and learn about the early exploration of Florida. This waterfront building, with an eclectic Museum Store and the signature Columbia Cafe, is a memorable experience for families, history enthusiasts, Tampa area natives and beyond.
Reviewed January 12, 2014

For my birthday in December of 2012, my son gave me a years membership to the Tampa Bay History Museum. With my card I could take my husband in as a guest & receive free parking:) We took advantage of attending many activities though the year that otherwise we would have stayed home and missed. A year later, my son and family joined me in Lutz for the birthday. We celebrated by driving into Tampa for a day at the museum and lunch at the Columbia Cafe. We all enjoyed our time there, especially the young grandchildren. It is good to learn of the roots of one's area.

1  Thank LukeyLutz

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had a couple of hours to kill before our flight home so we stopped in downtown Tampa to tour this small but well-done museum. Surprisingly interesting displays on the history of the area. We liked the interactive exhibits and the humor of some like the one on the port, which was cute. The temporary display on the history of maps of Florida was a bonus for a map lover like me. Overall worth the time and cost.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

For family with children, this museum would be even more interesting, but for a couple like us it was indeed interesting as well. The exhibitions were interactive and also informative, lots to learn. The film was well done. We learned a lot about the history of native Americans and cigar industries especially.

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

If you're a museum buff this is worth a visit. Decent interactivity and updated exhibits. My impression was they do a very good job trying to get people interested in a very niche field of history.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We visited recently spurred by the excellent historical Florida map exhibit that had been mentioned in the local paper. The map exhibit was very good. But one incident at the beginning of our visit soured us. We have a NARM (North American Reciprocal Membership). Some museums take them within 25 or so miles of St. Petersburg and some do not. When i mentioned the NARM membership to the pleasant person who checked us in, all was good. Then another staff member walked over and told her and us that the membership could not be accepted. It felt extremely confrontational. It was an awkward moment. The first pleasant person looked embarrassed as were we...for her. Honestly, if you wanted folks to say nice things about your museum, wouldn't you a)treat your fellow museum worker respectfully and b)let the people with the NARM membership in THIS ONE TIME though explaining apologetically it would not be accepted in the future? Or even explaining the whole thing apologetically would have been better. Instead, we felt like we had been slapped in the face. But the map exhibit was good.

1  Thank xath