“Disappointed to have Greg as the guide”

Ybor City Historic Walking Tours
Ranked #3 of 81 Tours in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: There is no better way to experience Ybor City than at streetlevel on foot. Come discover this vibrant and diverse city. Ourwalking tours explore the many layers of history that make up the fabric of Ybor City. Tours start from the Vicente Martinez-Ybor statue at Centro Ybor on Seventh Avenue. Call for current schedule.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I read the reviews on trip advisor and saw all fives for Lonnie as the tour guide.  I was apprehensive when I saw our guide would be Greg.  I went on a tour of Ybor about eight years ago given by a native of Ybor and it was absolutely wonderful.    So with that said, I will give my review of Greg's tour.

First Greg arrived five minutes late which is a bad first impression. He seems to have a theater background because that is what he told us and his tour seemed like he memorized a script. He was unable to answer most of the questions that arose. He couldn't even answer " how much were the cigar rollers paid?"

The first hour of his lecture was given on a back street from Seventh Avenue that had no ambience and I kept thinking to myself "why are we standing here?"  The first hour I could have been standing in " anywhere USA" . Greg tended to go off on tangents, like he talked for eight minutes about the history of electricity.

After an hour and 15 minutes I wanted the tour to be over. I had an out-of-town visitor with me so I stuck it out.   Towards the end of the tour Greg pointed out some historic buildings that were interesting. However we never went inside a building which we did on my other tour. My other tour we went inside the Italian club and inside the "shotgun" house where the early inhabitants of Ybor were housed.

Greg never even mentioned the historic Columbia restaurant.

To say the least I was very disappointed. We were very pressed for time that day, trying to fit in as many sites as possible, so the tour was pretty much all we saw of Ybor city.  It was a sad slice of what it could have been. If I didn't know Ybor, I still would not have known it after this tour.

Greg concluded the tour by taking us to a "Museum" to watch a five minute film on Ybor city. When we got to the "Museum" there was a sign on the door saying they would return in 15 minutes. That was a fine ending to a miserable tour.

We paid our $15 each and walked away quickly.  Greg was not knowledgeable of Ybor and did not have the love of Ybor as my first tour guide did.  I would have been better off ordering the audio tour. I'm disappointed because I feel my guest did not get a good tour.

1  Thank bongo1578
mcgregpub, Owner at Ybor City Historic Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

I am so sorry that this reviewer had a poor experience. As a sole proprietor I take this very seriously. I do approx 98% of the tours myself, but on occasion I am not available. I have worked with some substitutes and call on them as needed. Greg has previously received good notices. I'm sorry for the disappointing experience.

Lonnie
Ybor City Histori Walking Tours

Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you enjoy history and discovering new places this tour is for you. I was not familiar with Mr Ybor's city before this trip so this was a pleasant surprise.

Lonnie, our tour guide, was very professional and knowledgeable. You can tell that he is passionate about Ybor and not just reading a script. Walking around the locations where Ybor's history occurred was very interesting.

We did the tour in January so the temperature was ideal but I can imagine it would be hot in the summer months - bring some water.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Visited Ybor while vacationing from Connecticut. Found this tour on line and it was worth every penny. From the moment he said hello Lonnie proved to be a top notch story teller in every sense of the word. His colorful descriptions of the people, history and past of Ybor made for a very entertaining afternoon. I hung on every word of every sentence eager for whatever came next. His descriptions read like a novel, one I didn't want to ever put down. I couldn't recommend this tour more. Would recommend this activity in a heart beat.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Lonnie is the perfect tour guide. Informative and entertaining! We have lived in the area for many many years but have never taken the time to learn more about the historic city. I highly recommend Lonnie's tour and would bring out of town guests here as well to enjoy a great day in Ybor.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

great way to learn about Ybor and the rich history. I knew a lot about the city but did not know the history behind a lot of the buildings and people that had lived there.