“Holy Hog is Holy GOOD!”
Review of Holy Hog BBQ

Holy Hog BBQ
Ranked #274 of 2,580 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Established in 2010. Owner and founder Danny Hernandez was born into a family with a passion for food and excellence. After working in his family's Cuban-style restaurant in Tampa, Hernandez gravitated toward another genre close to his heart: the smoky flavors of barbecue. Determined to share it with the community he loved, Hernandez opened the first Holy Hog Barbecue in Tampa, offering authentic southern barbecue nuanced with Cuban flavors. Today, Holy Hog has grown to four locations in the Tampa Bay area. We're also thrilled to have two locations at Amalie Arena, home of the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning and venue of choice for A-list performers and shows.
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I went there for lunch two days in a row. I had the BBQ brisket sandwich which had tons of flavor and the bark was perfect. The meat was tender and lean. The mac and cheese was amazing, they use real cheese and is a must have. The collard greens was cooked perfectly. I will always go to Holy Hog when I'm in town.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Five of us ate here prior to attending a game at Steinbrenner Field. I found it by Googling for great places to eat near the Field and found someone's blog recommending this place. Excellent brisket and ribs. Great sauces. My daughter had the pulled pork and enjoyed that too. We also enjoyed the mac-n-cheese, collard greens and black-eyed peas sides. The corn fritters and fried okra were just okay. But did I mention how excellent the brisket and ribs were? The location was conveniently close to Steinbrenner Field, but we would eat here even if we weren't heading to a game. The atmosphere was typical for a BBQ place- dead animals, picnic tables, etc. but the food is the reason for eating here. (There was another family dining here at the same time who let their young children run all over the place annoying everyone, but that was not the restaurant's fault.) Draft beer was available (we had Jai Alai at $4/ea) and did not feel that it was overpriced as another reviewer had commented. The staff was very friendly and the restaurant was clean. It is worth mentioning again- excellent brisket and ribs!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were down South so it should have been better barbeque. I suppose they are making barbeque for the masses as it felt like fast food. We all had the 4 rib platter. We were disappointed when we saw them take the ribs from a foil wrapped pile rather than from a smoker or grill. The were premade and were just being kept warm under a heating lamp. The sides were ok - mac and cheese, mashed sweet potato which were rich and flavorful, cole slaw which was crunchy but flavorless, and collard greens that were ok. The sauces that were on the table all tasted the same - the sauce labeled "hot" wasn't.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Went for the first as a friend of mine is addicted to Holy Hog. I can totally understand why. This is the best bar-b-que I have had in Tampa or anywhere for that matter. The price is perfect. The guys at the counter were friendly. The pulled pork sandwich was plentiful with nice chunks of pork. It was delicious. The sauces are very good. The sides were great too. I tried the collard greens and black eyed peas. All food is made in house. My friend says everything is wonderful.You do not go for the atmosphere but for the food like most restaurants of this type. You place your order at the counter then take it to a table. Most seats are outside so I am wondering what that is like in the summer. It was quite windy when I went so keeping my hair out of my food was a challenge! They have a drive thru too. I will most certainly go back again and again.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place is excellent. Right when we walked in the staff was friendly and the food looked incredible. We tried a beef brisket sandwich and a few pulled pork sandwiches. The beef brisket was the best I have ever had in Tampa and I have been down here for over 11 years. The pulled pork was also great. They also have some great sides to choose from. We got the fries (very good) corn fritters (excellent) mac n cheese (excellent) fried okra (very good) and jalapeno mac n cheese (average). I will be back several times to this place.

Been to Holy Hog BBQ? Share your experiences!