“Yummy food....terrible hostess”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Barcelona
Description: We are omnivores — carnivorous, chocolate-loving, bacon-hoarding, wineauxs, beer geeks, curd nerds and yes, even vegetarians. Together we are shamelessly unapologetic flavor crusaders and Datz is our playground. An american gastropub + market dishing up regional comfort food favorites generously paired with craft beer, boutique wine and artisanal cheese. Served with ample sides of culinary education and entertainment in a spirited, ever-evolving environment. After all, we believe ordinary belongs in the dictionary, not in a restaurant. Especially ours.
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I was leery to visit because of bad service reviews. Made reservations on Open Table 1 wk prior to visit. I was surprised because only time slot available was 5:30 pm but took it. Got email confirmation with open table day before reservation. Arrived to Datz on time. Hostess informs us they have no record of our reservation. Showed her my confirmation email. She then said sometimes the restaurant "blocks" those reservations. What? This silly explanation came with several free eye rolls by the hostess...how sweet. Restaurant was 1/2 full but told us she could put us on her wait list. Waited 15 minutes then sat us. From there things were great. Peter, our server was delightful. Food was tasty. Atmosphere good. Looks like if you can get past rude hostess and silly online reservation policy, you will enjoy.

Suzanne P, Owner at Datz Tampa, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Yikes and double yikes!
What a rotten way to kick off what should have been a seamless, fun experience.
In order to get a little more I do from you, I'd ask that you email my Communications Director at deborah@datzdeli.com.

We look forward to hearing from you -- and fixing what broke!

Incidentally, we have shared your kind words with Peter. Thank you!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I've eaten in and gotten take out from this place on half a dozen occasions. The former has been disappointing, along with the service, while the take out has been delicious. Wait staff, especially downstairs at the dessert area, has not had the best of attitudes, which has dampened my dining experiences.

1  Thank Hoosiertraveler007
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Won't go into specifics because I have emailed the owner and they know what went down. Suffice it to say, the hostesses and 2 rude customers were what really upset me. I notice in the reviews, that what they try to do is smooth things over when they get a bad review. They offer some freebie of some sort in order to get someone to shut up. I guess some people do that for that very reason. However, I declined their freebie because I wanted them to get the big picture. If you just keep throwing freebies at people to shut them up, then you are not really addressing the problem at hand. For the prices they charge, they need to have excellent staff.

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Datz has a little bit of everything with an awesome twist to it. Comfort food at its best. Recommend texting ahead for seating because it is a crazy wait sometimes but that works great!

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

The menu is ridiculously awesome. There is no shortage of bacon usage. Want a burger? They're all phenomenal...throw an egg on them to make them even better! Pulled pork and eggs? To die for. Spinach fig salad is a perfect starter (split with someone else.) My favorite...waffles 'n tweet...oh sweet holy baby Jesus.

If you don't like to wait...Go during the week after 1pm or get there as the doors open on the weekends.