“Just so-so”

Rodeway Inn Near Ybor City - Casino
Ranked #124 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The room we had, had 2 queen sized beds, mini refrigerator and microwave. TV had not a lot of channels - would only recommend to those only staying 1 or 2 nights - we spent a week and it wasn't worth writing home about. Breakfast consisted of Gas Station Donuts and Coffee very hard to drink.

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms provide easy access in or out
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cwithers64

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I recently stayed at this property and discovered bites over the upper half of my body the next day. I'm not sure if they're fleas or bed bugs bites. It itched considerably and was very embarrassing because I had a social gathering the day after my stay. I did not confront the hotel manager with this problem because of the timeframe I had to make it to my event. So I thought it appropriate to put it in this forum. The hallways were filthy, and by it being an older property there were no updates to the bathroom. Same old fixtures from when it opened. I didn't want to take a shower there. Disgusting. I'm a frequent traveler and have never experienced anything like this before. I commented on Choice Hotels.Com after my return home and was emailed by the GM with a 15% discount on my next stay. There will be no next stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank awduncan1
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Me and my friends were going on a spring break cruise out of Tampa and made the poor decision of not booking a hotel room in advance. We went to many hotels in the surrounding area and ended up at the Rodeway Inn, and the first red flag should be that their was rooms available at this time. As I was checking in, I should've also considered that the fact that the manager was on the phone with a customer telling them about getting a refund for their room was another red flag. Tired, me and my friends figured that we could rough anything for a night seeing as we would only really be there to sleep about four or five hours. We did not know where to park our car and spent a good bit of time trying to find a well lit area that made us feel comfortable enough to leave it unattended for a few hours since the area of town is so rough. We were given a "non-smoking" room, and as soon as we walked in were overwhelmed with the smell of cigarettes. We pulled back the shower curtain to find a variety of bugs living in there. When we went to pull back the sheets to go to sleep, a bug crawled from underneath the pillow, and about four other bugs were crawling behind the head board and around the night stand. None of us are high maintenance or snoody, but the conditions of this hotel were unacceptable. We went to get a refund, and had to talk our way into getting our money back. When we told the manager what was wrong with our room, there were two other couples waiting in the lobby to get their refunds as well. Mind you this was 3:45 AM, and no other hotels were available.. that's how disgusting it was. When we told the manager what was wrong, he did not only seem to not care about customer satisfaction, but could be less phased by the terrible condition in which the hotel was in. We were in and out in 20 minutes.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Parker B
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Inside rooms open into a SMALL dark hallway. Rusty fixtures & chipped tiles. Small old rooms. Beds were clean though. Location was convenient to Busch Gardens. Would definitely look for another place first.

1  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We made the bad decision of driving to Tampa without reserving a decent hotel room prior. Everywhere was full, so when we arrived here and found vacancy we were relieved. The guy at the front was a little too friendly and mentioned he could see the shape of my breasts through my shirt. His name was Tom George. Tired and ready to put our heads down we rolled our luggage to the room. We walked in and first noticed the smell resembled that of a strip joint. The room was filthy. The toilet possibly had never been cleaned and had things growing in it. Before pulling back the comforter on the bed I noticed something gold and shining on top of the pillow. This was not a complimentary mint. But a condom wrapper. We immediately called down to the front desk, where Tom George so graciously offered us a new room. The new room was not much better. Stunk, dirty, broken furniture, and brown water stains all over the curtains. The sheets had dirt and hair on them. We finally just stripped comforter and top sheet off the bed and slept fully clothed using our jackets for covers. Please, heed my warning. DO NOT STAY HERE.

4  Thank Amber R
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The room I was in the roof was leaking and dripping all night. In fact the carpet was wet from the drip! That is ridiculous we reserved the room for three and had two towels. Website said hair dryer,coffee maker and iron...we had non of these... Also, two of the lights In the room did not work and the lights in hallway were out!!! Horrible place.. Should be condemned

4  Thank Butcsd01
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I am retired military and I can deal with a lot but the TVs, although old, should have given me what i wanted to see. It seems to me that this is a Hotel with a right wing agenda when all I get for news is Fox and I could not access CNN or HLN. I am an online student and could not adequately access my classes. Your WIFI is too week and I wish I had direct connect. The bathroom toilet had noises what seems like when someone else flushed I could here it ALL NIGHT LONG. The heating and AC unit made so much noise, it was a great distraction. I know I am in a dog made room but my dog didn't even want to lay on the couch. Lastly, someone left a book so that the curtain would not be open. That is crass. I will return to Tampa and would spend a little extra for minimal comfort and adequate communication settings.

Room Tip: Stay with friends
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family