“Rude stuck up staff!!”

Ocean Prime - Tampa
Reserve with OpenTable
Ocean Prime - Tampa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 2,435 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Boy Scout
Transit: This is a public transit stop in front of the mall.
Description: OCEAN PRIME is a modern American restaurant and lounge from renowned restaurateur Cameron Mitchell. Voted “Best Piano Bar” and “Outdoor Scene” by Tampa Bay Metro as well as one of the “Best Seafood Restaurants in the Bay Area” by Creative Loafing, OCEAN PRIME Tampa delivers an extraordinary experience to guests. Located at the entrance to the International Plaza shopping center on the corner of West Shore and Boy Scout Boulevard and a mere five-minute drive from Tampa International Airport, Raymond James Stadium and the George Steinbrenner Field, OCEAN PRIME Tampa is a favorite destination before and after sporting events. Stunning settings and a vibrant energy, an impressive menu of seafood and prime cuts of steak, signature cocktails, a Wine Spectator-honored wine list and truly genuine hospitality make OCEAN PRIME Tampa an ideal place to socialize, talk business, celebrate and indulge.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I travel quite extensively for work and have experienced many restaurants within my travels. Ocean Prime falls short of trying to be a classy expensive restaurant with great service.

I recently made reservations for me and my wife's anniversary dinner. We had an emergency come up and had to cancel our reservation. My wife called 3 hours before the reservation and spoke to a young lady about changing our reservations to the next day. The lady said that it would be no problem, but the earliest she had was 8:30pm which was fine for us. So, we booked an 8:30pm reservation for the next evening. Upon arrival to the restaurant, the hostess said that our table wasn't ready yet and seemed confused. She went on to ask me my last name again to look in her computer to which there was no reservation. She said that it was for last night and I told her that it had been changed to 8:30 tonight. She said that it would be awhile before they can get a table ready for us to where she said again, "because the reservation was for last night", implying that this is my fault. I had to correct her two times that we spoke to someone and made new reservations. Finally she said,"that's our fault", but did not apologize just, "have a seat in the bar area and we'll let you know when your table is ready". Didn't offer a free drink for the mix up or anything.....nothing. We don't want anything for free, but some kind of effort or offer or something would've been nice, especially from a restaurant that is wanting to be CLASSY.

Forty minutes later we are still sitting in the bar area and getting very annoyed. I went back up to the front desk and asked how the table was coming and she just told me that there was a bunch of people about to leave pretty soon. Again, no apology or anything. I told her that we've been sitting there for over forty minutes and again she proceeds to tell me as if it is my fault, "because there was no reservation". I had to remind her again that WE were not the ones who dropped the ball on this mess. Still no apology, just snobby looks from her.

We were finally seated forty-five minutes after our reservation. The waiter was nice, but cocky. After we ordered a couple of glasses of wine he proceeded to let us know that they didn't have the wine my wife ordered so he picked a wine himself for her and didn't tell her till after she took a couple of sips from it. I thought that was a bit odd and not the right thing to do, so I told her to pick another wine that she liked and have him switch it out to which he did. The meal was ok, the steak was barely warm like it had been sitting for a little while before the server grabbed it. I didn't want to complain cause I was still bothered by the treatment of staff at the front desk.

The food is good, but overpriced for the quality you get from the place as a whole. If you just put some care into your customers by going over and beyond for them, you could have a nice place. Remember, THEY ARE THE ONES SPENDING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS AT YOUR BUSINESS. Maybe taking care of them will give you a little bit of class.

1  Thank luciano-ciampa

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Tired of so,so Dining out we ended our short stay at Prime.Service was great of course more then your average stop.My husband didn't care for his pre meal Crabcake,in this departarment they could have done better.Three steaks ordered each different and each cooked to perfection.Two sides plenty for 3 people.Thank you Ocean Prime-Tampa

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Upscale ambience, friendly, efficient wait staff, exquisite cocktails crafted by an amiable mixologist, and a varied assortment of steak and seafood selections are guaranteed to impress and please your most discerning clients. The cucumber gimlet, French onion soup, wedge of iceberg salad, Chilean sea bass, and La Crema pinot noir all received high marks during our visit last week. Ideally, you should pass the sky high bill to your expense account.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Went to Ocean Prime for a private dining with a group of 15. Service and food were very much appreciated by everyone. The only point I would like to mention is the size of the private room which was too tight! The waitress had to squeeze herself between the chairs and the wall to serve the wine.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Excellent food and outstanding service - good for steaks and seafood. Very good wine list. Waiter went out of his way to make sure everything was perfect.

Been to Ocean Prime - Tampa? Share your experiences!