Museum of Science and Industry

from $64.50
from $107.00
from $12.95
1,164 results
All reviews ropes course imax theater butterfly garden human body hands on activities all ages summer camps great museum interactive exhibits rainy day great for kids kids and adults busch gardens mosi dome simulator butterflies
Reviewed 1 week ago

It was an eye opening experience. Learned a lot of things. My kids enjoyed the trip, including the iMax experience.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

It is a awesome museum and can teach you a lot and there are fun activities for kids and adults also there are trains and real world war planes

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Over two years ago I first visited the Museum of Science and Industry, referred to as MOSI. It is actually two separate building complexes separated by a dedicated road with a stop-light on Fowler Avenue. It is easy to get in and out.

MOSI is now on the western end of the complex. Parking is now “free,” which used to be $5 dollars. I did attempt to enter the eastern side, but realized that it was closed. Unfortunately, the neat Dr. Richard T. Bowers Historic Tree Garden is now in disarray. You can still see and read the unique plaques of people who made something of the trees and plants.

IMAX was a big draw to this museum. Now gone, but the building is still present.

The price of admission has dramatically gone down. It used to be about $25 or so, now is $7.95 for children, $12.95 for adults and 10.95 for seniors and military. If you had a City Pass it would be cheaper. I was told by two different employees that MOSI is moving in the future to a downtown sight anywhere between two to five years.

I felt skeptical paying even $10 dollars. Was this even worth it? As I stayed and interacted with several programs, I felt that visiting MOSI is still a viable tool to learning and even having fun. I would not say it is for small children, but Middle School and High School students would find MOSI very interesting.

I particularly liked the video on the moon’s land rover with a toggle stick. The interactive “Nutritional” display caught my attention. And so did the old Columbia Shuttle tire that weighs 205 pounds.

The day I visited there were plenty of students having a good time interacting with various displays. Reading, following directions and thinking are high on the list for many of these activities.

There is even an artist on premise, Michael Knapp. His colorful artwork is superb. Michael has been working at the MOSI for 17 years, but only a year as an artist on staff. Michael is quite good. He will not bite, so ask Michael any questions.

The Interactive Virtual Reality ride was fun, even for $8. The Underwater four minute program is quite entertaining. I realize now that Disney’s Avatar is a “Virtual Reality” ride.

There is a huge sky Trail Rope Course that dominates the outside of the museum. For a nominal fee, students are attached securely to a harness as they walk from one activity to another. It is one of the main exhibits of this museum. There is a minimum height limit and you just can’t weight more than 300 pounds.

Close by is a children’s playground. The slides, though, are quite high. I would think twice if you had small children. The grass is a colorful artificial variety.

Unlike the prior building, there is no café. There is obviously a coke and ice cream vending machines.

I was a tad disappointed that the Planetarium was booked for several hours. Schools can prior book certain hours for the center. I was a bit taken back by this as I was one of the first ones in the museum. For $5 dollars, I would have enjoyed what space had to tell.

Overall, I came out of MOSI with a positive energized attitude. I am not a scientist nor did I excel in the subject. For two hours, MOSI kept my attention. I just went along with the interactive displays to find which ones I really liked. Thumbs up for MOSI, even now as it now stands. It will be interesting to see the new building someday.

If you found this review “helpful” in any way, please press “LIKE” to let me know.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is probably the most kid=friendly and interactive museum that I have ever visited. There are lots of fun activities that also teach a sicken lesson. even with short attention plan, you can learn about dice probabilities and how a Zamboni machine works.
Just a caveat- there is no cafe for refreshments nor is there a gift shop. Probably could use both. This a great rainy day place for vacationers and an excellent school class trip.
The planetarium program was also excellent ,with an opportunity to learn about stars visible in the southern skies. ( note- extra charge for planetarium show)

Reviewed October 9, 2018

Fascinating museum with lots to see. The autonomous transportation display is current and important for everyone to learn.

Reviewed October 7, 2018

Just a wonderful time and place for children and adults. We always have a lot of interesting fun and discoveries. Easy to park, and a really cool dinosaur is their mascot. Kids Love it!

Reviewed October 4, 2018

This little science museum was a nice surprise. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s filled with many stations where you can have hands-on experiences working puzzles and machines. My husband and I especially enjoyed the brain wave experiment where two people put a band on their heads and try to relax. The one who relaxes the most pushes a small ball in a tube toward his opponent. There’s a brain wave pattern display on a board behind you, but it’s hard to watch it and play the game. We also enjoyed walking through a moon colony station. And I played a game where I tried to guess which foods had the most fat, calories, carbs, and protein. We also paid extra for a virtual reality experience. There were two choices, an undersea adventure and a space adventure. We chose space, and the sensation of floating around a space station was scary to me. (My husband had no problem with it.) I think it would have been less threatening if there had been something to brace my feet against. I’d highly recommend this museum, particularly for kids. I’m sorry we didn’t have time for the planetarium presentation.

Reviewed October 3, 2018 via mobile

We were headed home after the zoo and stopped in. We did not stay long about an hour but the kids had fun and wanted to go back. This is one of the places that could be great or a flop. I know there are some poor reviews but I would bet the kids probably had fun. They loved being an astronaut and all the hands on things. They did not like the large groups of kids from summer camps. There appeared to be about five groups of 20 kids with no one kepting them in line. The schools not MOSI is at fault. They want to go back so I’ll review again with more detail then.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our afternoon at MOSI. I will say upfront that we came as part of Swaptember because we are Zoo Tampa members and we came for free, So, I have no idea what this even Cost normally.

Our 4 year old really enjoyed the entire space. There were lots of activities he didn’t understand yet, but also many he did. Getting to control the cameras in the Tampa lightning area, make a paper helicopter and fly it in the wind tub, play with the the electric current, do different things with magnets were all neat.

His favorite by far was the area where you could construct a paper rocket and then fire it with a compressed air pump. The people there were very helpful even though they must explain the same thing 100x a day! The mission moon base is also quite cool and has lots of different activities.

Drawbacks, this is not a large place. On Saturday it was very crowded. There is nothing to eat here except DippingDots!

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

About half of the museum is closed do to it moving within the next 5 years, still lots to do but no one to show you how anything works. Lots of young children running around beating on the exhibits and losing pieces to them. Sad as it could have been a good learning experience.