“A lot of exhibits did not work” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
MOSI Admission in Tampa
Ranked #29 of 195 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore a World of Possibilities at Tampa’s Museum of Science & Industry with more than 450 hands-on activities, plus Florida’s only IMAX® DOME Theatre, five-stories-tall and offering a higher resolution than any other theater in Tampa; It is more than a movie, it is an experience. Brave extreme weather conditions inside Disasterville, featuring Bay News 9 WeatherQuest, and explore the stages of life in The Amazing You exhibition. Gaze into the starry night sky in MOSI’s Saunders Planetarium, and don’t miss exploring the outdoors in the BioWorks Butterfly Garden and MOSI Backwoods. Kids get to run the show at MOSI’s Kids In Charge!, the largest children’s science center in nation, while kids of all ages get a rush from MOSI’s Sky Trail® Ropes Course and Zip Line.
virginia
213 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 175 helpful votes
“A lot of exhibits did not work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We put off visiting this place for several trips but decided it was time this last visit to Tampa. There are a lot of theme exhibits but I won't judge the choices. I was disappointed that a number of stations that were interactive--push this, pull that, turn the dial--did not work. I don't think anyone is walking around checking to see what is operational. Another thing that was not alarming to me but could be to some were jars with fetuses in various stages of development. Some parents are not going to like that. Some kids will find it alarming. Just be warned. The IMAX theater part was worth watching. No one there to tell you to go in. Some kid staff at the popcorn counter. So you are really on your own here in most cases. I am not a button pusher, game player, but my wife is and I think for both of us, as adults, we've seen better. This place needs a little more imagination and attention to details. Take the kids for the movie and a few theme areas but after seeing the big theme parks in FL, this place is barely in the running for adults.

4 Thank yahootraveler64
Shannon H, Manager at Museum of Science and Industry, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your visit to MOSI. We really appreciate you letting us know that you had some issues, and I am so sorry for the inconveniences and problems you experienced. As a hands-on, interactive museum, MOSI’s exhibits take on a lot of wear and tear every day, but keeping our museum maintained and beautiful is one of our top priorities. If you could let me know in more detail which exhibits you noticed in disrepair, I will let the exhibits and facilities teams know so they can inspect and provide maintenance. I'm so sorry that your experience at MOSI was disappointing.

We do have an exhibit called The Amazing You, a 13,000 square-foot exhibition on the human body and health/wellness. Within that exhibit is teachable information on where we come from and samples of the stages of a fetus. As you mentioned, though, it’s not for everyone, so we placed signs and barrier walls around that section, so it would be easy to avoid if desired. We try to carefully label all sections of our permanent exhibits, so visitors can know what to expect and choose what they want to avoid.

We strive to make every visit a positive, memorable experience and in this case it appears we missed the mark. The description of your visit is certainly not the image we strive to portray, and I apologize profusely.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Holiday, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“We LOVE MOSI!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is the best museum for families! We have been to many museums, but this is our favorite! We always have a blast....which is why we have bought the 1-year membership in the past! Well worth it!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Rhema00
Land O Lakes, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

The basic cost of entry is very high in light of the exhibits that are very few and low tech and an awful lot of them don't even work. I was very disappointed! Kids in charge is a good idea but then again a lot of exhibits do not work or are not supplied with the proper materials. So many things cost extra! The bounce house and slide, IMAX, planetarium, zip line and on and on. Anything to get more money out of you. Without paying for a lot of extras you are left with a bunch of lame exhibits. We ate in the cafe there and that was very disappointing also. Ended up throwing the meal away.

8 Thank ruthtaf
Fort Myers, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Be ready for PG-13 Exhibits in this "Kid's Museum"!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Overall our experience was just average.
We went on a field trip with the 6th Grade Science classes. We got a good rate because we were a group, and it included lunch and the choice of CSI research or the outdoor ropes course.
We watched an IMAX on the Arctic which was really good. The theater is so-so but the screen size is amazing! Sit up really high and towards the back or expect to get a neck-ache.
The kids loved the ropes course! Everything about it was great with one complaint. The guys running the course were not doing their job well at all! As a chaperone I was worried about 10 kids including my own. I helped each one of them that needed help by grabbing ropes and getting their leashes unstuck. I had to help one girl down because she got so scared and started crying. I'm pretty sure I was doing THEIR job and one had the nerve to fight with me and tell me I was a "rule breaker" by stepping on an obstacle while another person was on it. Last I checked, I helped 4 kids and all he did was harass me!
The exhibits were pretty lame. The kids were either bored or shocked! Some of the exhibits needed better signage explaining either what to do or providing better warning of what they were about to see. I had to talk a couple of kids out of crying about dead fetuses in jars and vaginal and c-section videos on childbirth. The exhibit on the digestive system and STD's was basically just gross and not informative at all! It definitely surprised a few kids to see male body parts just pop up on the screen!
There was an impromptu stair stage with an awesome demonstration on bottle rockets BUT the guy didn't have a microphone and it was SO LOUD in the area that it basically ruined the demo. We wondered why a demo like that wasn't provided for the 6th grade as a whole. They would've loved it! Major oversight.
The exhibits need to be updated and be more in-touch with the younger generation to be effective in my opinion.

3 Thank Steelfin
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“MOSI ropes course and zip line is great fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My family of 3 visited the ropes course/zip line recently for my daughter's 18th birthday. We purchased both the ropes course and the zip line, but it's also possible to buy just one of the activities alone. My husband, who is uncomfortable with heights, was very nervous. However, the harnesses make you feel very secure. There are rules for safety and there are employees up in the structure to make sure everyone is following these simple rules. The employees also help out when needed. The course is as easy or as difficult as you want to make it for yourself, meaning there are easier and harder options along the way. There were a variety of ages in attendance that day, but we were the only adults. Once you reach the top of the tower (3 stories), there is the option to do the zip line if you paid for it. (Note: if you only buy the zip line trip, you just walk up to it via stairs, avoiding the ropes course.) It's a once over and once back arrangement, and they tell you before entering the ropes course that you can choose to do the zip line at any point in your ropes course adventure. The zip line goes over the MOSI museum courtyard to another tower on the opposite end. The day we were there wasn't very busy, so there was only one employee in each tower. Therefore, we had to wait for everyone to go across once before we all walked up the stairs to make the return trip back. I'm guessing that if it were a busier time that there would be 2 employees stationed in each tower to make things go faster. Regardless, it was fun - even my husband loved it! Due to our own schedule for the day, we had to leave after doing the zip line and didn't get to continue exploring the ropes course, and we were sad that we didn't have more time. We could have stayed on the ropes course all day for as long as we wanted. The employees were all wonderful and helpful, and this is something we'd definitely do again!

The only thing I found problematic was that the tether that moves along the structure doesn't move easily enough for you to forget about it. You have to physically fling it forward to keep it ahead of you (it's a safety hazard for it to follow behind you). I wish it were on some sort of a wheel rather than a plastic peg, but this was just a minor annoyance. It didn't keep us from having a good time. Also, you are not allowed to bring a camera or a phone with you to take pictures. (They provide free lockers for all of your belongings.) That made us sad as there were many great photo ops, however, safety is more important than taking pictures!

5 Thank czern3