“On The Whole A Very Good Science Museum”

Museum of Science and Industry
Ranked #30 of 197 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore a World of Possibilities at Tampa’s Museum of Science & Industry with more than 450 hands-on activities, plus Florida’s only IMAX® DOME Theatre, five-stories-tall and offering a higher resolution than any other theater in Tampa; It is more than a movie, it is an experience. Brave extreme weather conditions inside Disasterville, featuring Bay News 9 WeatherQuest, and explore the stages of life in The Amazing You exhibition. Gaze into the starry night sky in MOSI’s Saunders Planetarium, and don’t miss exploring the outdoors in the BioWorks Butterfly Garden and MOSI Backwoods. Kids get to run the show at MOSI’s Kids In Charge!, the largest children’s science center in nation, while kids of all ages get a rush from MOSI’s Sky Trail® Ropes Course and Zip Line.
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We visited this museum in late September of 2011 and on the whole I would say we spent a very enjoyable and informative day at this science museum. On this day I visited the museum with my wife and my 25 year old daughter. That having been said, I felt that although we had a very enjoyable day and learned a lot, this museum felt like it was geared more for kids. Again, this having been said, my daughter and I nevertheless, tried to have alittle fun with the hands on setups and experiments they feature and were disappointed to find that on the day we visited, many of them were not working. This could be attributed to a lot little kids mistreating the hands-on exhibits and banging away at them (my opinion). I have to agree with another reviewer, however, that the exhibit on the Human Body was very, very interesting and the Imax experience was really cool (never seen an Imax movie before).

There are newer reviews for Museum of Science and Industry

Reviewed May 30, 2012

A very large science mujseum, this one is very active and has a large array of displays, an IMAX theater, and special rotating exhibits that always add to the interest and make repeat visits worthwhile.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

This place is huge and there is so much to see and do. We visited the mummy exhibit and did an IMAX. That in itself took a few hours. We would love to go back and see the rest of the museum. Good for adults-children, all ages.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We went to see the Human Body exhibit here a few years ago and it was awesome! It's a great place to spend an afternoon or a whole day.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is a special, time limited exhibit of mummies from around the world. It runs through mid-September. We are not from the Tampa area but as soon as I saw the exhibit advertised, my husband and I decided to go. Memorial weekend was a good choice; I got a ridiculousely low online rate at a Best Western hotel and also booked and paid for our tickets to the exhibit online. You can either print out a PDF version of your tickets on your computer when you book, or arrange to pick up the tickets at the Wil-Call window when you get to the museum. Either way, you get to skip the long lines to purchase tickets and go directly to the entrance to the exhibit.

The exhibit was very comprehensive; Egyptian, South and Central American, Asian and even two Hungarian mummies were exhibited. There was young guides walking around at the exhibit, there for the sole purpose of answering questions and adding details not included on the descriptions or in the various interactive video displays. You could also purchase an audio tour for about $5 per person, but we did not use this. As it turns out, with the very thorough descriptions of each mummy on the display case and the walls nearby, as well as the availability of the guides, it was not necessary.

Each mummy is in a climate controlled, sealed glass case, lit from above I believe. It is very dark in the room and the lighting is muted so as not to damage these delicate objects. Your are asked not to take pictures for two reasons; first, these were once living, breathing human beings and they ask you to respect that. Second, the light from camera or cell phone flashes can damage the mummies as well.

I was told by one of the young guides that the best time to come was early in the day, before the school groups came through and the bulk of the visitors. We are early risers so we arrived at the museum about 9:30 on Sunday. At that point the parking was plentiful (it costs $4 to park) and although there were other visitors trickling in, it was just that, a trickle. We were able to see each mummy clearly and read the information posted on each display case. They have done a very good job or spacing the various mummies out, but even at that, too many people in the room and you probably would have a problem seeing all the details.

It takes about 90 minutes or so to really see all the mummies as well as read the various descriptions. Seeing other sections of the museum was optional and also cost additional. You exit the mummy exhibit into a special mummy gift shop. They had some nice memorabilia of the exhibit fairly reasonably priced I thought. We also looked to see what other exhibits in the museum would appeal to us, but we found nothing we felt we wanted to pay extra to see.

After a wander through the bigger regular gift shop, we left and went down to Ybor City to take a look around there.

Been to Museum of Science and Industry? Share your experiences!