“MEH-- Pretty horrible”

Ranked #20 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just come home from a 2 night stay at this property to attend a conference held there.

Requested a King room...Given a 2 double, not a huge deal, but it was a foreshadow of things to come.

The hallway- 6th floor- was low- a funny dropped ceiling going down to about 6"6'- made the space feel cramped.
Got into the room, found my 2 double beds- again, not a huge deal but.....The property as others have said is near the airport- Jet noise, plus noisy A/C= not a good sleeping environment. Also, there was no room darkening shades on the window..... room was light regardless of the time of day.

Breakfast Buffet.... EH... Cold food, stale pastries and an arrogant host pouring coffee.... Glad it was included as part of my conference stay, as it wasn't worth what they were charging.

NOW>>> I CANNOT BLAME THE HOTEL FOR THE ACTIONS OF ITS GUESTS.... BUT, they should be responsible for the actions of their staff in response to the guests.

There was a large party of young folks occupying several rooms on my floor, and their party carried into the hallway at approx. 1am.... No security roaming the building. At 3:30 AM a young man in is jockey shorts was banging on my door in an attempt to get in. It took THREE calls to the front desk to get someone up to my hallway outside my room to escort this youth (QUITE INTOXICATED) to the desk. By this time(4AM ) I was wide awake with no hope of sleep.

The desk staff did not intervene towards myself at any time, not even an apology for the inconvenience. Even the ASST GM was quite useless in any explanation to the lack of security or the delayed response to the incident overnight. All she offered was a weak apology and that she would speak to the overnight staff.

The hotel itself is in major need of an overhaul... Trash needed to be emptied and fixtures outdated.

For the price, there are many other options near the Tampa airport that will suit your needs in a much nicer environment with Friendlier staff.

Room Tip: To find a good room, look for a different property
5  Thank IKE954
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear IKE954,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is a little slice of heaven! I managed a conference at the Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore and can't say enough good things about my experience. My client was thrilled and raved about the hotel and it's staff from beginning to end. It is only 2 minutes from the airport, but you would think you at a tropical resort. The hotel staff is phenomenal - friendly, helpful and always professional. The rooms are clean, modern and beautifully appointed. I came for business but felt like I was on vacation!

Room Tip: Pick a Cabana Suite - huge and luxurious, right next to the pool (but quiet)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
CPTW5303, Manager at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear JPWren,

Thank you so much for sharing that glowing review of our hotel! We are so glad to hear that you loved the resort style feel with the convenience of being so close to the airport. We hold conferences of all sizes and are so glad we were able to accommodate your group so well. We look forward to having you and your team visit us again soon!

Best Regards,
Sales Coordinator

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here during a business visit to Tampa. It is located close the airport and the hotel offered a free shuttle service from the airport. I received a warm welcome by the friendly and cheerful hotel staff. I requested for a room in the quiet zone. I had a sound sleep on the plush and comfortable beds. The rooms also offered views of the bay and the city. It was relaxing after spending a long day of enjoying the popular Tampa Bay attractions. I enjoyed the hot breakfast of egg benedicts and a warm cup of tea with a cool and refreshing juice in their stylish and relaxed Mezzo restaurant. If you are looking to celebrate life and indulge this is the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Becky H.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! We are so glad you were able to "celebrate life and indulge" here at the Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore. It's always nice to be able to relax and enjoy the local attractions while still attending to needed business. We will see you on your next visit to Tampa!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We spent 3 nights in this hotel early August 2013. Overall statement is far below what we expected from a Crowne Plaza and far below average. The hotel is pretty noisy being located close to the airport and so close to the freeway. Regrettably you won't find a peaceful rest in your rooms just because the A/C is so noisy that you feel sleeping close to a jet. Staff is not kind and breakfast is pretty poor (the last day there was not even the buffet as the staff was too late - or too lazy - to set it up. Unbelievable!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again in the future. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. Please contact me directly with any further questions or concerns.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at Crowne Plaza Westshore in Tampa. I loved that there was a kurig in the room (Only wish there were two regular and no decaf). The hotel staff was friendly and personable. Elle was great and welcoming when we checked in after our flight came in late and suggested somewhere we could grab a quick bite. The location of the Crowne plaza was right downtown and there were plenty of food options. The rooms were clean and up- to date. The room seemed to have modern decorations. The bed was pretty comfortable and the comfortable was very Fluffy! I loved all the relaxing sleep extras they had by the bed! There was a calming lotion and face balm to put on with chamomile smells- I believe. From our room we could see the bay- So we had the best of two worlds downtown and the water! I could not imagine a better location and better service! I was so impressed I would definitely stay there again. The breakfast downstairs was a great and quick too (Elle suggested we eat there instead of going out for breakfast when we checked in)! Check out was a breeze too- the bill was under our door with an itemized list of what we spent!

Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for that glowing review of your recent stay with us! We are thrilled you were able to utilize all the amenities of the hotel and that Elle provided excellent service. Our Executive Level Rooms do have an amazing view with many additional amenities. Our sleep amenity kit and bedding makes for an amazing night of sleep! We hope that you will be returning to the area soon to enjoy more relaxation!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Perhaps is it the fact that I booked my room using a website that allows you to name your price.. I don't know, but.. this is the very first time that I had to pay an extra to have a fridge installed in my room..!! Carrying perishable food, I looked for one as soon as entering the room.. nothing. The empty space was obviously usually occupied by a fridge, but not this time. Called the reception, explain my situation (thinking they'll move me to another room), but the person I had on the phone surprised me.. "No problem, Sir, we can take care of this for you, we can rent you one..".
I'm still smiling, when thinking about it.. and sure enough, a kind housekeeper showed up few minutes later, telling me that it was depending on the type of room...
So anyway, make a long story short.. nice hotel, nice swimming pool, nice room, etc etc, but seriously...5 bucks for a fridge..??? Really..??? Am I gonna have to rent the bed, next time..???

Room Tip: Bring your own fridge.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Thank hervethomasflor... t
CPTW5303, Manager at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us as we greatly appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to hear you were able to enjoy the amenities of the hotel during your stay and I apologize you were not furnished with a complimentary refrigerator. We will make sure your suggestion is communicated to the department head for further review. Please contact me directly for any further questions. We do hope to see you back in the near future!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Westshore does an excellent job hosting conference meetings. This year we booked the Ballroom West along with four breakout rooms. The planning and execution of the conference went flawlessly again this year, which is why we are repeat customers. Debra Desmond has been an outstanding resource to work with planning these events. All attendees were appreciative of the hotel, and the professionalism from all of their staff.

Room Tip: Cabana suites are great if there for business. Large enough to be able to do work in the front.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
CPTW5303, Manager at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Mr. Ladd,

What a wonderful review about your recent conference! Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience with us. Debra is an amazing sales manager and we are so grateful she was able to take such great care of your group. We look forward to seeing you and your team again soon.

Sales Coordinator