“Did NOT meet Expectations”
Review of Westin Tampa Bay

Westin Tampa Bay
Ranked #49 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed October 13, 2009

The hotel offers but does not meet, neither up to their own statements or to our expectations from the website information.
My friend and I booked the Westin in Tampa Bay for a 2 night stay, while traveling to see the U2 concert at the Raymond James.
We chose the hotel because of it's proximity to the airport, the stadium and the beach, also because of the rooftop lounge that seemed perfect for the after/concert getogether. It was closed, and they didnt tell us until we asked how to get there. The shuttle was not put to service the event, something surprising given that almost every hotel in town was full because of the concert, and providing free transport in and out of it, even from downtown locations, much farther away (much cheaper hotels too...) We called to ask for help in getting a cab after the event as we, along a bunch of other Westin guests, where stuck looking at traffic and waiting for a cab for almost 2 hours. They were flat out rude and non helpful.
They claim to be close to everything, yet when we get there and ask HOW TO, they say "well, from our location you really need to get a cab to go get a meal or anything..." so close to what did they mean?
The late night menu has too few options, pretty much just salads, nothing that would actually provide a decent meal to a tired, hungry traveler. All overpriced too... Needless to say we were happy we had left open the rest of the trip to stay pretty much anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 12, 2009

Had a stopover in Tampa, and stayed in the Westin Tampa Bay for the night. Had the hotel's free shuttle pick me up from the airport, which was quick and effective.

The Westin Tampa Bay is a newer property in the area, but it's right off the main causeway, which has nothing available within walking distance. It's a good thing that the hotel has a Starbucks, and a decent restaurant and lounge, because any other services are at least a 5 minute drive away.

The amenities are pleasant and nice. There is a substantial workout facility, and a small but nice indoor pool. It's a pity that the rooftop bar was still not ready to open. The front desk was professional.

If you've been in a new Westin before, the rooms are furnished identically. Same bathroom facilities (though, in my case, I had a shower stall *and* a bathtub in the room, which was nice), the Westin Heavenly Bed, and the standard desk area and green furniture. It was scorching in Tampa that evening (it was in the 100's Fahrenheit during the afternoon (~38 degrees C)), so it was good to see that ventilation and air conditioning were decent.

I wanted an airport shuttle for my next morning flight, but was told that there would be no shuttle until 6 am. Which is unfortunate, as my flight was around that time. But I was able to arrange a favour from front desk to get one of the early drivers to take me there. Great service!

Unfortunately, not all their staff was equally friendly. I asked for a taxi from the valet/bellboys at the front, but it never came, and to this day I doubt that they actually made the call. (I eventually hailed a cab myself.) Furthermore, these same valets were trashtalking each other, and were steps away from having a fist-fight in front of a dozen guests at the front door! They had to be separated by the senior valet. How professional.

Even though that incident left a bad taste, the rest of the hotel demonstrates that this is a good enough property. It is an airport hotel, so if you need to get closer to downtown, you may want the *other* Tampa Westin (Westin Harbour Island), and if you're looking for better beachfront properties, you may wish to drive further out. But this is still a decent spot by the airport. In about a year, once the hotel has worked out its service kinks (and opened the rooftop bar!), I would start recommending this as a Tampa airport hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2009

The hotel was beautiful as expected from a Westin. However at check in at 9:30pm, I was informed that the club level I booked was not serving food over the weekends until further notice. In addition to this the water was turned off in the hotel at 11am ish without notice. I was told it was due to an emergency. The restrooms in the lobby were working, thank goodness. However, this put a damper on showers. The gym was ok, but cable reception on the machines was aweful, bring your ipod loaded with programs to watch. The beds were small. Location of the hotel was nice, but no outdoor pool. The indoor pool is like a lap pool, very dark and dreary in the pool area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I travel to Tampa weekly, on business, and have stayed at this hotel every week for about 3 months now - along with 7 or 8 other colleagues. So I feel like I can speak with some level of "authority" on the pros and cons.

The pros:
- New hotel, located right on the water - so you will have some WOW factor.
- Room decor is awesome: flat screen tvs, upgraded bathroom/shower heads, Westin signature Heavenly Bed, and great views of the Bay
- Upscale restaurant (semi-pricey, but not over the top)
- GREAT gym, for a hotel (individual tvs on cardio equipment, free weights, stand-alone machines - lat pulldown, chest press, shoulder press, leg extension, leg curl)
- Awesome morning concierge
- Fab location (close to the airport, 5-10 min drive to International Plaza, proximity to beaches)

The cons:
- Poor Management/Service (excluding one of the evening bellmen) - If you have an issue at the hotel, do NOT expect for the management to express a sense of sincere regret or to be concerned with providing you with adequate/relevant compensation
- Poor Housekeeping - I've had a room had visible urine stains (pics provided). My colleague and I have had personal items thrown out. Another colleague returned at 10pm to find housekeeping left her door ajar ALL DAY. It's up in the air on whether you'll have water, soap, other ammenities replaced.
- Self-parking is EXTREMELY limited. And more than half of the spaces are labeled as "compact" and they are in fact tiny. There are about 20-30 spaces marked as 15 minute parking, although I struggle with understanding the purpose. They aren't even near the Starbuck's which might make SOME sense to me. And if you park in these, you will be told to move your vehicle - even if the lots are all full.
- Food - the only restaurants in walking distance are Bahama Breeze and Landry's. So you'll have to travel off-site by car/shuttle if you want more options. The Renaissance International Plaza is a great option if you want convenience (stayed there for 2-3 months too).
- Concierge's lounge - They only serve food until 8pm - if you work the hours that I work, that might not be late enough. One upside, they finally started serving a dessert (cookies). But the food isn't prepared by the hotel restaurant (like at the Renaissance). You'll be served reheatable items, likely bought from the freezer section of the local grocery store. And no hot items for breakfast, unless you count the instant oatmeal. They OFTEN run out of bottled water.
- The hallways don't seem to be air-conditioned.
- The elevator's work "most" of the time. But the key readers work only "some" of the time - which is an issue if you have Executive level access.
- Attitudes of the front desk staff/management is highly variable.
- As a person with allergies, I also find it disturbing that they allow dogs...and you can hear barking if you're within 2 rooms of them.

My overall opinion is that the Renaissance International Plaza is a better hotel, overall. The only things the Westin has above it would be the view and the Heavenly Bed (which is one of the MAIN reasons I stay here). The other reason I haven't moved is because I'd like to have enough Starwood points to stay at some of the BETTER Starwood properties in other cities. But if things don't improve quickly, dramatically, I may have to sacrifice. I tell you this so you don't wonder why I stay there if I wouldn't recommend it to a friend. For me, it's business...not pleasure.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank UFMBA00
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Just got back from a 2-night stay at this fine and very new hotel that sits on the bay near the Tampa airport and was both pleased and frustrated by it. It's got beautiful architecture and is very welcoming from the outside, but a few not-so-pleasant surprises await when you get there.

Among the hotel's many positives:
-Westin beds, showerheads, amenities and magnificent televisions built into the wall on swivels and extenders are really awesome.
-Great picture windows that truly let you enjoy your bay views and good darkening shades for when you need to nap during daytime.
-A friendly Starbucks and a very nice and elegant restaurant, Aquaknox on the premises.
-Solid workout facility, with good equipment, a tiny whirlpool and a pretty small L-shaped indoor pool (MORE ON THIS LATER!)
-Quiet halls and good sound insulation from outside noises, which is a good trademark of the Westin folks.
-Small, private beach for hotel guests only. Beach is man-made and sits right next to a highway, so it's NOT quiet. However, it IS only for hotel guests and offers lounge chairs and wave runners for rent.
-Good quality coffee, Tazo tea and bottled water in rooms. Coffee and tea are complimentary and water is $3, which isn't bad for a hotel.

With all this said, somebody was truly asleep at the wheel when this hotel was designed!! A couple oversights that I found truly astonishing for a purported "top-of-the-line" brand like Westin:
-Okay, it's Tampa. It's 92 degrees and sunny. I have on my swimsuit. WHERE'S THE OUTDOOR POOL!!!!!!!! The Hyatt about a mile away has a gorgeous outdoor pool and tropical gardens area with a nature trail to a stunning gazebo overlook of the bay, but the Westin doesn't even have a KIDDIE POOL!! The indoor pool is small and has no decorative or atmospheric feel to it. At first I thought it was simply my inability to locate the thing, so I went to the front desk to confirm, and they nope, there's no outdoor pool. The in-room guest services menu even SAYS in black and white there's an outdoor pool. Can you say, somebody in the design department needs a new line of work!?
-There's allegedly a rooftop nightclub called "Blu-Vu" on top of the hotel. However, when you try to go there, you realize it's not open! EVER! They've even taped over the words on all the elevators in silver tape (pretty tacky!)
-No saunas, no steam rooms, no locker room, no showers for those working out unless they return to their rooms.
-I thought Westin used to put bathrobes in their rooms, didn't they? Maybe it's a cutback,....or maybe it's just this Westin.
-VERY DANGEROUS walk from the free parking lot to the front lobby. I hope I'm wrong, but mark my words, there's a totally blind sharp corner where people walk around a corner and are exposed to those driving OUT of the parking garage with ZERO WARNING. An accident is going to happen!! Westin needs to put up a warning light for pedestrians IMMEDIATELY or something very sad could happen. I say this with no sarcasm, it's going to happen!

All in all, I got a good rate at this hotel, slept well and enjoyed most of my stay. However, had I brought my wife and daughters along and discovered there was no outdoor pool, we'd have immediately checked out and gone to a hotel that had been thought out far better. Stay here if you're on business and you'll be in good shape, but it's NOT for fun family weekends!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I stayed at this hotel 4 times during June and July. The rooms were great. the front desk personnel were rude and moreover were incompetent. They charged me for a stay that I never booked, nor stayed. When I confronted the GM he told me I was wrong and that I had been credited for the erroneous night. In fact I had not been credited, and I have disputed the charge on my credit card. They are sloppy, arrogant and unprofessional. I would never ever recommend anyone stay at this hotel. In addition, there customer service motto seems to be "screw the customer whenever you can." Do not stay here. There is a Hyatt and a Doubletree nearby, both of which will offer you much better customer service, care, and value for your money.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1barney
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed here one night at end of vacay in St. Pete. Great hotel. The Heavenly bed was amazing, bathroom cool (neat shower stall), refreshments available in room, staff was very courteous, Starbucks on site, restaurant and bar on site, own private beach (where you can rent jet skis). All around great.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family