“Had a comfy relaxing time”
Review of Westin Tampa Bay

Westin Tampa Bay
Ranked #42 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Covington, Louisiana
“Had a comfy relaxing time”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This Westin actually exceeded our expectations. The heavenly bed was heavenly; the TV was new, had a great picture and sound; the hotel was quiet and the shower was hot. More than that, the view from our room of the bay was spectacular and the room service food was sensational!

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view from an upper floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BayouBob3
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear High Desert Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay with all of us. It is very reassuring to know that we exceeded your expectations and that you were comfortable while with us and relaxed during and after your stay. Your comments are very comforting to our staff as well provide all of us with the continued inspiration to make each and every guest experience service that is always personal and instinctive.
Hopefully we will see you again in the future although we are a little short on deserts here.

Regards,
Ron Alicandro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed April 23, 2012

nothing special about this hotel. indoor pool only (no outdoor pool), club level lounge was simple and basic breakfast (not on weekends). service was fine and rooms were fine, but would only pick this property if need to stay near airport

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mcarey5543
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The hotel was busy - three weddings on the evening we stayed but we didn't hear any noise and slept very well. The room was big and very clean with a view of the water / road. As platinum members I don't think we got any special treatment. No upgrade for example however we have come to expect the service within the Starwood group to be a bit hit and miss when it comes to upgrading SPG platinum members.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorktown, VA
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin Tampa Bay for a mini-vacation. I was visiting a law school + family/friends. Additionally, I was looking for wedding venues in the Orlando/Tampa area. This Westin was a beautiful hotel, but the service was lacking in many areas.

For the most part, the staff was nice. The room service lady was extremely friendly & happened to be Korean, so we chatted about our similar culture (I am half Korean). The front desk staff was alright. My flight arrived early, so I took my time with my rental car & cruised the area a bit. When I arrived to check-in at the W, I was told that my room was not yet ready, which was perfectly understandable. I had lunch at the restaurant in the hotel & grabbed coffee at the Starbucks afterwards. I noticed that there were several people initially waiting to get checked in. After my coffee break, most of those individuals were gone, so I assumed it would be time to check in soon. They had taken my bags & informed me that they would call my cell when the room was ready. About 45 minutes before the official check-in time, I noticed from the lobby that several "business men" dressed to the nines in their Armani suits were able to check in immediately. I watched a group of frat boys with fishing poles saunter in & immediately check in. I sat in the lobby staring at the front desk ladies, who continued to giggle about the "rich white men" who had just checked in. I was very irritated, so I walked up & asked why I could not check in, when I have been waiting for almost 2 hours. Of course, they apologized & offered me free bottles of water/soda. I simply wanted to get to my room, so I could take a nap. One of the ladies walked by luggage up for me & apologized a zillion times. I told her it was okay, but I was honestly offended.

Later that evening, I ordered the in-room WiFi. This cost $9.99/per night. However, this WiFi service would not register with my iPad properly. I could barely get a 1 bar signal. Frustrated, I simply went to bed & figured I would deal with it in the morning. The next morning, I mentioned this problem to the front desk & they immediately agreed to take off the charge for last night, since the service did not work. I told them I had paid for the entire stay & that I was hoping it would work properly, otherwise I might as well just use Starbucks free WiFi access. They ensured me that they could simply fix the problem with their system & increase the signal to my room. I returned that evening to the same WiFi problem. I called the front desk & they sent up a "technician" who had no idea what to do, but was basically coming to verify that there was an actual problem. This offended me too. I felt like they were calling me a liar or assuming that I was simply not tech savvy enough to figure out how to use my own iPad. I was livid. He assured me that he would put a help desk ticket in & that they would call me in the morning.

The next morning, after no call from tech service, I told the front desk to cancel the WiFi completely & reimburse me 100% because I was unable to obtain any in-room WiFi service. After a 20 minute conversation with the manager, the agreed to take off 50% of the WiFi fees, so I was basically charged $20 for nothing. I was not happy with this resolution, but needed to get on the road for a meeting in Orlando, so just gave up. I viewed the Westin property in Orlando as a potential wedding venue. Their staff was far more accommodating and reasonable to work with than the Tampa Bay front desk staff. I ended up staying in Orlando for night & returned in the early morning on the day of my check out. I asked the front desk if I could have a late check-out, since my flight was later in the afternoon & I had just returned from an Orlando trip, without getting much sleep. They agreed to extend my check out time.

When I checked out, I asked about their wedding facilities & informed them that I had been scoping out their hotel as a guest, to see if I would want to have my fall/winter wedding at their location. This startled the woman, who scrambled to find their prepackaged folder with information. I told her she could simply email me information & prices. This was in the beginning of April & I have NOT heard a word from this hotel.

To be honest, I felt like a 2nd class citizen at this hotel. I felt like they viewed me as some poor graduate student/college kid, who did not have enough money to stay at their precious hotel. I have stayed at several Westin hotels & I have never felt this way before. I did not feel that the staff took me very seriously, because I simply did not choose to carry my Coach or Dooney & Burke purse 24/7.... or maybe it was because I was wearing a sweatshirt from Target. Who knows? I just do not care for pretentious staff, who feel like they are better than their guests, when they probably only make $12/hr. Sorry, I will NEVER return to this Westin, nor will I recommend it to any of my friends or family members.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Hboudreaux21
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 5, 2012

It's an OK Westin, but that's about it. The price was pretty high per night. Desk staff at check-in was nice. Room was ok, although it smelled a bit too much like cleaning product. Desk staff at check-out could not print an itemized bill showing each charge/fee and told me that $10 was a tourist tax, even though it was listed as "other." I found out later that it was a parking fee, not a tourist tax.

The location is excellent as it's five minutes from the airport, but doesn't feel like it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LA-Business-Traveler
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Took a long time to check in and while doing so someone cut in and agent didn't say anything, went to help them! 8 beach chairs on beach for the whole hotel. I had a do not disturb on my door yet staff knocked twice, I called to complain and managers answer was literally I don't care. At that point I packed and left. Paper thin walls, and don't bother calling front desk. Awful experience, I will never return. As a platinum member am floored at the level of service here.

Room Tip: Definitely not a good choice for vacation, maybe for business if you are out all day but there are b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank zookeeperpol
Chicago
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I'm platinum with SPG and they charged me for a reservation that I called and cancelled, but because it didn't show on their system, they can't make it right with a platinum member. The manager of the hotel I spoke with was very rude. I will NEVER stay at this Westin again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business