“Nice hotel, minor housekeeping issue” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Tampa Bay

Westin Tampa Bay
Ranked #33 of 162 Hotels in Tampa
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel, minor housekeeping issue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

This hotel is newer and very modern as mentioned in other reviews. You pay for parking whether you self park or valet (we were not aware of this until check out). Shuttle service to the International Plaza Mall was very convenient. A hotel with an indoor pool is hard to find in Tampa and this hotel has a nice but small pool and very small hot tub. Please note that the pool does not have a shallow section.

The room was very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was nice, but housekeeping service was less than I expected. Despite being out of the room for most of the day our room was not cleaned until very late. Our reservation was for 4 people (2 adults and 2 children), and I even called in advance to confirm they had this information to make sure we would get two beds. The housekeeper clearly saw that we had 4 people but only gave us 2 towels, one mini bottle of shampoo and one of their tiny, fancy bars of soap. We had to call down to get adequate supplies. For the price paid I expected better housekeeping service.

I liked the location and the the shuttle driver and front desk staff were friendly. The bar was overpriced but that was to be expected. We were close to the causeway and airport but I did not hear any noise in the room. In all I had a nice stay, and would stay again for the right price. Hopefully they will hire additional housekeepers as other reviews have mentioned rooms not being ready at check in. This is apparently an ongoing problem.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 15mwaltrip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

Was in town on business and for social event; we spent five nights here in two rooms. While facility is very modern, attractive and clean, with nice views, comfortable ("Heavenly") beds and showers, there was much to disappoint. Front desk is very slow. Our business fax was never delivered, and when we discovered the problem on the following day and inquired about it, it was never explained (and no apology.) They charge for internet use in rooms...per device. Breakfast in restaurant is overpriced. Indoor pool closes too early (dusk) as does the bar in lobby (11 p.m.) There's no hotel information book in room, must access info by scrolling through cumbersome screens on the TV ---front desk explained they were "going green", but apparently this does not apply to Westin Home Collection book, where you can order their many Westin brand products.
Location convenient to airport, but isolated; not much nearby. All in all, unimpressive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank nygirl25
East Meadow, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

The first great thing about the hotel is the complimentary shuttle from Tampa Int'l airport. Driver was friendly and courteous. Arriving into the hotel lobby, you are greeted by the signature Westin white tea scent (my husband's fave) and a clean, crisp modern decor. Front desk agent was very friendly and the process went quickly. The room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was large and bright. I love both the Heavenly bed and shower. The Westin workout room was clean and the machines were brand new (or close to it). The entire property itself is impeccably maintained and all members of the staff we encountered were friendly and cheerful. The only slight downside to our stay was that we did dine at the hotel restaurant and as one reviewer mentioned, the service was incredibly slow. Our server could not have been nicer and when we did get our food, it was delicious. We spoke with the restaurant manager on duty who also could not have been nicer and he remedied the situation by apologizing profusely as well as taking a couple items off of our bill. Overall, a great stay at the Westin Tampa Bay!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank beeno0412
vi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

Family mini-vacation , kids loved the indoor heated pool, the beds very comfortable and the view as awesome.Only draw back to staying here nothing was in walking distance. Hotel staff very warm and friendly. We would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Rooms facing the airport have a great view and the higher floors are the best
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rachel181
Rural Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

The hotel and room were gorgeous. My husband was there on business and I did not have transportation. There was a shuttle provided by the hotel, but it only went to 2 malls and the airport. If you wanted to go to the beaches or anywhere else, you had to get a taxi. Also, the restaurant at the hotel was slooooowww!!! It seemed that they were never busy, but service was always slow. There is a Starbucks and that was wonderful! Beware, the bar has last call at 11:00.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank tsjRuralNebraska
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

I had really done my research before my Tampa visit, and although I would have preferred to stay a bit closer to its dining and entertainment districts, I figured that a new and modern hotel like the Westin Tampa Bay trumped the others. It's probably no more than 15 minutes to downtown and Ybor, unless traffic is horrible. And it's a piece of cake to get to the airport.

Things didn't begin so great, though. I arrived around 3:20, needing to get into my room to get ready for an appointment. The front desk clerk told me that housekeeping was running a little behind, and that it would be another half hour or so. I didn't have time to wait, so I asked for any available room, even if it wasn't the king that I had reserved. That request got me into a double right away, though it was adjacent to the elevator, and because of it, I heard a lot of hallway noise. Other reviews cite problems with their 3 pm check-in. I don't know how common this is in the industry, and I don't usually need to be in my room so early. But when I did, I wasn't thrilled with having to make compromises.

The room itself was very nice. Since the rooms are above the multi-level garage, the views across the bay are very good. The bathroom is well thought out, with both a walk-in shower as well as a tub for the bath lover. The bed is comfortable, and the flat-screen TV and iPod docking station add to the up-to-date feel. And there is no shortage of outlets when you need a re-charge. I'm not crazy about the Internet fee, but it is a few bucks cheaper per day than at other hotels. I'd stay there again.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank George_PConnecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Spent the weekend and had a wonderful time. View, food, service, room, location... all perfect. Have stayed at Westin hotels before and love them. Was not disappointed by this Westin. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple